Crank arm retaining clip installation

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks for all the advice guys, greatly appreciated. I'll double check to make sure the crank is seated properly, although I've installed it a couple of times now in an attempt to get the clip installed flush and have not found any lateral play in the cranks/BB.
How much gap between the end of the spindle and the preload cap? Should be very little.
Give the DS a solid bang with a mallet if there looks like too much, and see if that helps. Might be quite tight on the DS bearing.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Try flipping the plate end-for-end. The pin is offset, so the plate might just be the wrong way around?

( @The Duckmeister - is there a right/wrong way round?)

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Yep, the slot goes over the outboard pinch bolt. Otherwise you can't get in & flip it up to pull the crank off.
it’s installed with the slot over the outside pinch bolt.

How much gap between the end of the spindle and the preload cap? Should be very little.
Give the DS a solid bang with a mallet if there looks like too much, and see if that helps. Might be quite tight on the DS bearing.
I’m not clear on what is meant by gap between the end of the shingle and the preload cap. Can you please clarify?

moorey

call me Mia
I’m not clear on what is meant by gap between the end of the shingle and the preload cap. Can you please clarify?
Remove the cap that threads into the spindle to preload the crank. How far back is the spindle/axle?
Are these cranks of aliexpress, by any chance?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Remove the cap that threads into the spindle to preload the crank. How far back is the spindle/axle?
Just a follow-on, the end of the spindle should sit about 2mm back from the edge of the crank bore. Much more and the "safety" (I use that term loosely) pin won't drop into the locating hole. Too far out and as well as the pin not meeting the hole, the cap will bottom out on the spindle and lateral float may ensue (little more than theoretically with Shimano cranks, as noted earlier they are generally a quite snug fit. The same can't be said for other executions of the concept....).

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Are these cranks of aliexpress, by any chance?
not the best photo but shows the spindle stopping a few mm short of the slimes on the inside of the crank arm.Does this look right?

The crank isn’t from aliexpress as far as I’m aware. Was purchased near new from a guy on Facebook marketplace. Was apparently put onto a new frame by bike shop as a temporary measure while he waited on a higher end groupset to come into stock.

Attachments

moorey

call me Mia
not the best photo but shows the spindle stopping a few mm short of the slimes on the inside of the crank arm.Does this look right?

The crank isn’t from aliexpress as far as I’m aware. Was purchased near new from a guy on Facebook marketplace. Was apparently put onto a new frame by bike shop as a temporary measure while he waited on a higher end groupset to come into stock.
It’s hard to say, but could possibly go on a little further. I think it’s irrelevant though. It just looks like your little clip is one of the ones that sit proud. If it’s level, and you can’t get it lower, just do up your crank and forget about it.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Wouldn't worry about it. mine disintegrated and rode for another few years without it. no one died.

just set the end cap preload correctly and torque the bolts up evenly and correctly.
Two-piece (not all are Hollowtech) cranks were made for several years without the "safety" clip/plate/thing, so it's an afterthough probably dictated by some dingbat American lawer.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I’d say they are installed correctly. The stepped tab looks parallel to crank so I’d say it’s sitting correctly. Not familiar with those cranks but I know 8130 and mt900 have a lot more meat around the bolts (they run stepped tab)