Crank arm retaining clip installation

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Hi Team,
I've installed a new M6100 Deore crankset and bottom bracket to a frame with 73mm BSA bottom bracket shell and am concerned that the non-drive side crank arm is not installed correctly because the small black retaining clip is sitting proud of the end of the crank arm. I believe this clip is meant to sit flush with the end of the crank arm.

Is the clip meant to protrude slightly and have I installed the clip correctly

I've installed the BB including 2.5mm spacer on drive side in accordance with Shimano's directions. I also believe I've installed the crank correctly, with play being taken out using the plastic end bolt and the crank bolts being torqued to spec.

Any advice/guidance is gratefully received.

Cheers!

Attachments

moorey

call me Mia
Meh I think that part is redundant if you torque the bolts properly.
Yeah, it may stop the crank from falling right off....but if you’re riding with it loose enough to risk it falling off, yore ruining your crank and it’s probably spinning anyway.

Petero

Likes Dirt
i don't think it should sit proud.. Would suggest backing the pinch bolts all the way, pushing the clip down, then re-tightening.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Thinking about this, and looking at the picture of the clip which shows a raised step in the top edge, given that the clip is sitting parallel with the end of the crank arm, I think it may be installed correctly. The clip rotates around the right side bolt so if it wasn't installed correctly then the top left edge would sit up and not be parallel with the crank arm...I think.

Does anyone have these cranks and can have a look to verify?

Attachments

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not being able to drop in suggests the crank hasn't been pulled right up into the BB. If there's a gap between the spider/butt of the drive side crank & the BB housing, you need to pull it in more. The spindle can be a quite snug fit in the bearing cover/sleeve.

moorey

call me Mia
Thinking about this, and looking at the picture of the clip which shows a raised step in the top edge, given that the clip is sitting parallel with the end of the crank arm, I think it may be installed correctly. The clip rotates around the right side bolt so if it wasn't installed correctly then the top left edge would sit up and not be parallel with the crank arm...I think.

Not 6100, but Felix has 8100. Sits totally flush.

moorey

call me Mia
Not being able to drop in suggests the crank hasn't been pulled right up into the BB. If there's a gap between the spider/butt of the drive side crank & the BB housing, you need to pull it in more. The spindle can be a quite snug fit in the bearing cover/sleeve.
Also my suspicion.
Too many BB spacers also possible?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Interesting, first thing I've known about the stepped plate; all the ones I've seen have been the normal flat-top.

moorey

call me Mia
Seems doubtful, OP mentions one on drive side as per Shimano's spec. The reason for a spacer is that the crank/BB assembled width is designed to allow for a BB-mounted chain guide or front derailleur.
Good pickup. Missed that. As you stated, it probably isn’t seated properly.

moorey

call me Mia
The only stepped version I can find is an aliexpress version. Everyone else seems to show the non stepped.

teK--

Eats Squid
Hi Team,
I've installed a new M6100 Deore crankset and bottom bracket to a frame with 73mm BSA bottom bracket shell and am concerned that the non-drive side crank arm is not installed correctly because the small black retaining clip is sitting proud of the end of the crank arm. I believe this clip is meant to sit flush with the end of the crank arm.

Is the clip meant to protrude slightly and have I installed the clip correctly

I've installed the BB including 2.5mm spacer on drive side in accordance with Shimano's directions. I also believe I've installed the crank correctly, with play being taken out using the plastic end bolt and the crank bolts being torqued to spec.

Any advice/guidance is gratefully received.

Cheers!
Wouldn't worry about it. mine disintegrated and rode for another few years without it. no one died.

just set the end cap preload correctly and torque the bolts up evenly and correctly.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
It’s a stop plate so your crank doesn’t fall off accidentally. You’ll notice the play before it falls off though. Tighten it up properly and it’ll be fine. I’ve never had them on my hollow tech cranks.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the advice guys, greatly appreciated. I'll double check to make sure the crank is seated properly, although I've installed it a couple of times now in an attempt to get the clip installed flush and have not found any lateral play in the cranks/BB.