COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Family just out the other side of our inaugural Rona experience. No worse than a solid head cold for about four days for me, although I have a lingering slightly tight chest and the odd cough. Back on the bike though so not that bad. Wife is the worse, still feeling nauseous a couple of weeks after first testing positive.

Minlak

custom titis
I am confused genuinely - If anyone can shed some light I would be grateful - Was reading an article about the flu season and found this statement -

So 7500 deaths in the 6 mths since January and only 2500 in the 2 yrs before - So why do we act like we are out of it ? - If it is still rampant and killing so many why is it not really discussed unless you go looking for it or the odd sensationalist piece - Apparently most of the supply issues currently happening are a direct result of China chasing 0 Covid and massive restrictions and lockdowns.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I am confused genuinely - If anyone can shed some light I would be grateful - Was reading an article about the flu season and found this statement -
View attachment 390995

So 7500 deaths in the 6 mths since January and only 2500 in the 2 yrs before - So why do we act like we are out of it ? - If it is still rampant and killing so many why is it not really discussed unless you go looking for it or the odd sensationalist piece - Apparently most of the supply issues currently happening are a direct result of China chasing 0 Covid and massive restrictions and lockdowns.
LOOK HOW EXPENSIVE ICEBERG LETTUCE!!!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
View attachment 390995

I'd be interested to know where the article got their stats from.

This is from the Bureau of Statistics:

Minlak

custom titis
HOUSE PRICES ARE GOING TO FALL!!!
Can't wait!
That's actually an interesting situation - House prices fall but interest rates go up which means the people that cant borrow enough now can borrow even less as the repayments are higher - So how are falling prices helping?
Also lenders will get more stringent on borrowers to compensate for defaults and I am sure the ombudsman will impose stricter lending policies again to protect people.

Minlak

custom titis
I'd be interested to know where the article got their stats from.

This is from the Bureau of Statistics:

View attachment 390998
Yeah that's why I was confused as I had seen from several different sources and other media the 10000 figure and I am like surely there would be more coverage if this was the case

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's actually an interesting situation - House prices fall but interest rates go up which means the people that cant borrow enough now can borrow even less as the repayments are higher - So how are falling prices helping?
Also lenders will get more stringent on borrowers to compensate for defaults and I am sure the ombudsman will impose stricter lending policies again to protect people.

THE PRIME MINISTER IS OVERSEAS!!!!

Changes in value, rising interest rates, and defaults will suit high level investors just fine.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Here is an explanation as to how the 10,000 number was settled upon, this is from a 12th April 2022 Radio National interview with Professor Allan Saul.

When our leading experts cannot agree with each other……I instinctively side with the professor with 40 years of infectious diseases who doesn’t appear to be politically compromised unlike the federal chief health officer Paul Kelly.

“EXCESS DEATHS DATA AN INEXACT SCIENCE

Professor Saul

“Well, there’s several problems. One is that it’s a very inexact science and in fact, with all due respect to Professor Kelly, the numbers he gave to the Senate estimates last month came from a very complicated global statistical study published in the British journal The Lancet last month and that estimated that in 2020, and 2021, there’s about 18,000 less deaths than you would expect, and that would be wonderful.

“On the other hand, we actually don’t have to rely on complicated global models. The Australian Bureau of Statistics publishes the number of excess deaths. determined by counting up the certified death certificates and their estimate is there were 10,000 more deaths in 2020 and 2021 than we would have expected based upon the five years from 2015 to 2019. Now, I’m not saying that to try to discredit Professor Kelly, he quoted a reputable paper, but I am just saying that is a figure which is subject to very considerable uncertainty. It’s also not available in a timely manner. So we only just got the ABS data for 2020 and 2021 a couple of weeks ago, and so it’s not the sort of thing you can use for making judgments about how we need to work on progress.”