COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
This got me curious, our household is currently three out of five with symptoms and a positive RAT so I was interested to know if I was asymptomatic or just good at Russian roulette. Did a test tonight which returned a negative result so I guess will go again at the end of the week per current guidelines.
One of the things I took from that article was that it is definitely worth the effort to do home isolation properly in circumstances such as yours. Interested to hear what arrangements you have made to separate the three positives in your household?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
One of the things I took from that article was that it is definitely worth the effort to do home isolation properly in circumstances such as yours. Interested to hear what arrangements you have made to separate the three positives in your household?
Probably best summarised as relaxed but vigilant, our house is on the larger side in a semi-rural setting, it's open plan and everyone has their own room. We briefly discussed putting Case 1 into solitary but as a young adult that's pretty much his natural state anyway, we did get the other two using our ensuite instead of the bathroom.

Case 1 positive result was on the Sunday night, Case 2 popped up Friday morning after having gone to bed the night before without any symptoms. Moved her to the leper bathroom and she spent the next few days in bed with a general feeling of malaise.

Wife started complaining of a scratchy throat mid week but tested negative Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning so it was business as usual until she returned a positive that night. Shipped her off to the leper bathroom and I took over all meal duties and have been sleeping on the lounge. Again wife has felt pretty average so hasn't ventured far from bed.

Youngest who has no symptoms has spent most of this time between various games consoles in the entertainment room and I've taken the opportunity to make a start on a couple of landscaping projects outside.

We've been lucky that the temperatures have been mild during the day and cool overnight so the house has been left open the entire time and we haven't needed the air conditioning.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I think I mentioned this before but these examples of "not everyone in the household gets it" show that control of even omicron is possible with sensible approaches. "Everyone's going to get it, its inevitable" is bullshit. That's only the case if people think that way and don't take any precautions (eg. Selfishly continue to do the same stupid shit as if covid didn't exist).

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I think I mentioned this before but these examples of "not everyone in the household gets it" show that control of even omicron is possible with sensible approaches. "Everyone's going to get it, its inevitable" is bullshit. That's only the case if people think that way and don't take any precautions (eg. Selfishly continue to do the same stupid shit as if covid didn't exist).
I agree, though the sentiment of "everyone will get it" comes from the fact that its airborne, so in a household, large or not, coming into contact with airborne particles from another person is guaranteed, isolating from others or not. I think there are many factors here at play, of which some are controllable in the home, but not out in public. I think the governments sentiment of "everyone will get it" is probably not inaccurate if follow the govts current directions. Sadly many dont have a choice but to tow the line.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I agree, though the sentiment of "everyone will get it" comes from the fact that its airborne, so in a household, large or not, coming into contact with airborne particles from another person is guaranteed, isolating from others or not. I think there are many factors here at play, of which some are controllable in the home, but not out in public. I think the governments sentiment of "everyone will get it" is probably not inaccurate if follow the govts current directions. Sadly many dont have a choice but to tow the line.
The current messaging could better highlight that even though the virus is highly transmissible, the things we can do in our individual settings can and will make a difference, as you and @SummitFever say. The pollies seem more interested in defending their decisions to open up during omicron and assuring us that the health system is coping. Meanwhile, dozens of people are still dying every day - each one tragic and arguably unnecessary, yet they are reported with as much indifference as the weather forecast.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
The current messaging could better highlight that even though the virus is highly transmissible, the things we can do in our individual settings can and will make a difference, as you and @SummitFever say. The pollies seem more interested in defending their decisions to open up during omicron and assuring us that the health system is coping. Meanwhile, dozens of people are still dying every day - each one tragic and arguably unnecessary, yet they are reported with as much indifference as the weather forecast.
100% this.

My biggest worry is that if/when the next variant appears (and if it is worse) that we wont be responsive enough and that because we've rolled back so many restrictions that the public just wont comply.

WA and NZ might be hard arses in that respect, but their numbers speak for themselves and would likley not need to go hard if something worse popped up.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Obviously been lucky to avoid the worst of this so far in WA, but it’s out now and we’ll go through what all other states have now. My workplace hadn’t worked out how they were going to mitigate risk when we opened up on 5 Feb, and so don’t have a plan now that it’s out in the community and spreading (with cases and exposure sites near by). Waiting on a decision about whether they think wfh might be a good idea.

My cousin was an early omicron case here, and despite being triple vaxed and quite cautious she caught it walking past an infected person in a shop (or perhaps touched something and then transferred it to her face accidentally). Goes to show how randomly infectious it can be when some in households don’t get it, but a someone in a situation like this does.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
My workplace hadn’t worked out how they were going to mitigate risk when we opened up on 5 Feb, and so don’t have a plan now that it’s out in the community and spreading (with cases and exposure sites near by).
Don't worry, most of the businesses in Melbourne still don't have a plan 2 and a bit years on... :rolleyes:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This got me curious, our household is currently three out of five with symptoms and a positive RAT so I was interested to know if I was asymptomatic or just good at Russian roulette. Did a test tonight which returned a negative result so I guess will go again at the end of the week per current guidelines.
Two families that I am very close with have had Covid run through them last week.
One family had all 5 members test positive spread over a 7 day period, the other had one and then a second 6 days later with 3 avoiding it.

Stay vigilant is my advice