COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I have to ask….is it because no one can get a test, or is bothering to test?
Was just talking to my riding mate with Covid. I asked if the rest of the fam for it. He said they didn’t bother testing, and they’re all self isolating. He also didn’t report his positive RAT…so, there’s 4/4 positive or likely positives not counted. Assume that’s pretty common.
Oh definitely. The lack of availability of testing throws massive doubt over the validity of the data. Gotta try to apply a guesstimate correction factor to normalize the percentage of people not getting tested. # cases in ICU and on ventilator is probably our most robust data to give an idea of how we are tracking. People in hospital data trend could be a bit skewed with how the hospital at home numbers are being reported.

indica

Serial flasher
Assume that’s pretty common.
Why would you bother being tested though?
Have had the discussion, only will if I am actually sick and or go to hospital.
I had a niggle last week and didn't bother, may well have had a mild case of, considering the exposure.

moorey

call me Mia
Why would you bother being tested though?
Have had the discussion, only will if I am actually sick and or go to hospital.
I had a niggle last week and didn't bother, may well have had a mild case of, considering the exposure.
I didn’t say they should. I’m just not convinced the actual infections reflect the dropping case numbers.
I don’t think I’ve got it ATM despite everyone around me dropping, but very well could without any symptoms. Now without Tassie requiring a test, I’ll never know…unless I actually come down with something more serious.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I didn’t say they should. I’m just not convinced the actual infections reflect the dropping case numbers.
I don’t think I’ve got it ATM despite everyone around me dropping, but very well could without any symptoms. Now without Tassie requiring a test, I’ll never know…unless I actually come down with something more serious.
It is going both ways though, my aunt and uncle recently got tested as a RAT was required prior to attending an event. Asymptomatic positives. They likely would have gone totally undetected a couple months ago.

moorey

call me Mia
It is going both ways though, my aunt and uncle recently got tested as a RAT was required prior to attending an event. Asymptomatic positives. They likely would have gone totally undetected a couple months ago.
Yeah, nah, I think these cases of necessary testing pale into insignificance compared to the numbers of people who would be getting a test if they were readily available and encouraged ‘just in case’ like we were a few months ago.
It’s a moot point. I’m just sayin.

indica

Serial flasher
.because we could.
Bit different up here, there hasn't been any covid until this "open" business going on, so the let's get tested thing has not been a thing.
And as far as work goes, they can fuck off for all they give a shit about staff

moorey

call me Mia
Bit different up here, there hasn't been any covid until this "open" business going on, so the let's get tested thing has not been a thing.
And as far as work goes, they can fuck off for all they give a shit about staff
Very different situation here in Victoria….at least it was before I went on leave a month ago.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Yeah, nah, I think these cases of necessary testing pale into insignificance compared to the numbers of people who would be getting a test if they were readily available and encouraged ‘just in case’ like we were a few months ago.
It’s a moot point. I’m just sayin.
Have to agree on that one. We'll have to wait and see what happens to the numbers in a few weeks when all these RAT's arrive that the gubbermunt has promised us.

In our house, we've resigned ourselves to the fact that the horse has bolted. We feel that we're as well prepared as we can be for when covid invites itself into our house. Mrs and I, grandparents and great grandparents either are or about to be triple vaxed, kids will be getting vaxed when the appointments roll around. The risk of anyone that we most care about ending up in ICU due to covid infection is pretty low.

And if some in our family do kick the bucket, I guess I'll have to chalk it up as being part of 'gods plan', ain't that right @moorey ?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@Tubbsy I thought you holidayed him?
I did but I assume he can still browse.

tbh I'm not a massive fan of giving holidays and people have a right to make their point. However with all the sacrifices people have had to make over the last couple of years, giving people a platform to spread misinformation isn't on IMO.

He has no coherent argument anyway, just flitting from talking point to talking point. I assume it all comes from some central source where they workshop this shit together.

The brother with the lab in Wuhan was possibly a bit too ambitious a line to push.