COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Australia has far more relaxed border controls than China, people get shot there for crossing borders. If they had recognised how bad the virus was from the start and put restrictions in place, it would have limited the spread by a long shot. My point was just letting people freely come and go just spreads it at an alarming rate, the proof is in all stats.
COVID didn’t announce its arrival with a spectacular bogan gender reveal party. It looked like the flu to begin with and it broke out in a city of 11 million people with an international airport that had a passenger turnover of around 20 million people a year.

It was already international before anyone - CCP included- knew what we we were dealing with.

Flow-Rider

Burner
COVID didn’t announce its arrival with a spectacular bogan gender reveal party. It looked like the flu to begin with and it broke out in a city of 11 million people with an international airport that had a passenger turnover of around 20 million people a year.

It was already international before anyone - CCP included- knew what we we were dealing with.
Yeah, that's why they jailed professionals that spoke out about it in the early days then, I guess. They could have jumped on it a lot earlier than they did, I bet they would do things different if something happens like this in the future from all the backlash they've had.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yeah, that why they jailed professionals that spoke out about it in the early days then, I guess.
So what if they did? It didn't make an ounce of difference. The virus was already circulating worldwide by that time

Theres no 'Bat Signal*' that suddenly lights up the sky the minute a new virus emerges. It can take weeks before one is identified and even when it is, there's still confusion over how it's spread, how dangerous it is etc. Meanwhile the virus is spreading from person to person and many of those people are jumping on flights around the world.

For a bit of local context, the virus emerged in December 2019 and was internationally recognised by January yet it wasn't until the middle of the year and after lockdown #1 that the authorities in Australia started recommending the use of face masks.

*pun intended

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So what if they did? It didn't make an ounce of difference. The virus was already circulating worldwide by that time

Theres no 'Bat Signal*' that suddenly lights up the sky the minute a new virus emerges. It can take weeks before one is identified and even when it is, there's still confusion over how it's spread, how dangerous it is etc. Meanwhile the virus is spreading from person to person and many of those people are jumping on flights around the world.

For a bit of local context, the virus emerged in December 2019 and was internationally recognised by January yet it wasn't until the middle of the year and after lockdown #1 that the authorities in Australia started recommending the use of face masks.

*pun intended

Flow-Rider

Burner

*pun intended
Maybe have a look at the explosion of infections in Australia now that it has opened up, not as crucial as it was a year ago as we have readily available vaccines now. If you think restrictions were a waste of time, tell that to all the families that have lost people from covid.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

*pun intended
These a bit of a narrative among experts in the field that the data shows China knew something was up before December. Possibly even as early as October.

There's another narrative along that one that the virus could have been an accidental leak from the wuhan virology institute that coincidentally studies among other things, corona viruses. Lots of sus activity reported around this theory, some with and some without merit.

The level of push back china has shown in allowing anyone to perform any meaningfull investigations is plainly suspicious. We may never know for sure, but it certainly looks plausible.

But IF China is infact hiding their knowledge of the original vector of the disease then its absolutely likley that things could have been different.

It's a bit naive to imagine it wouldn't be different if say they came out and actually said "hey we have a virus, it's real bad, you must do everything you can to protect yourselves" and suspended travel instead of what went on. Much of the record shows obfuscation, misdirection, censorship or plain lies.

Even with the virus circulating in smaller numbers early on, elimination wouldn't have been out of the question.

My suspicion, much like with a lot of what China does on the world stage, is they are lying and if they deny, deny deny, what is anyone going ro do about it? Nothing. The chance to come clean and prevent a world wide disaster passed quickly, so just deny. It's worked in the past, continues to work today and will into the future.

Just like there are no uigher camps, or other human rights abuses, no organ harvesting of prisoners etc.

It reminds me of the time my wife's dad drove his car through their brick fence while drunk. Car paint on the fence, bricks in the car.
"Nah wasn't me, somone backed into me at the shopping center and coincidentally somone else must have smashed into out fence.
How do I explain the paint? Must have been the same coloured car that smashed the fence.
Oh the bricks in the car? The guy that smashed the fence must have put them there"
He towed that line till he died.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Maybe have a look at the explosion of infections in Australia now that it has opened up, not as crucial as it was a year ago as we have readily available vaccines now. If you think restrictions were a waste of time, tell that to all the families that have lost people from covid.

View attachment 385187
At no point have I ever said that our restrictions were a waste of time. They served us well for the first 18 months of the outbreak however by the end of that year and a half it was clear that they couldn’t be upheld any more. The infection rates during Melbourne’s last lockdown proved that too many people were emotionally and financially exhausted by it and compliance levels were dropping.

The emergence of the omicron variant has cemented that fact. There’s no doubt that even if NSW hadn’t shit the bed the moment they had a release stemming from hotel quarantine, there would have been more to follow. Meanwhile the anti-lockdown protests would have grown more and more.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
These a bit of a narrative among experts in the field that the data shows China knew something was up before December. Possibly even as early as October.

There's another narrative along that one that the virus could have been an accidental leak from the wuhan virology institute that coincidentally studies among other things, corona viruses. Lots of sus activity reported around this theory, some with and some without merit.

The level of push back china has shown in allowing anyone to perform any meaningfull investigations is plainly suspicious. We may never know for sure, but it certainly looks plausible.

But IF China is infact hiding their knowledge of the original vector of the disease then its absolutely likley that things could have been different.

It's a bit naive to imagine it wouldn't be different if say they came out and actually said "hey we have a virus, it's real bad, you must do everything you can to protect yourselves" and suspended travel instead of what went on. Much of the record shows obfuscation, misdirection, censorship or plain lies.

Even with the virus circulating in smaller numbers early on, elimination wouldn't have been out of the question.

My suspicion, much like with a lot of what China does on the world stage, is they are lying and if they deny, deny deny, what is anyone going ro do about it? Nothing. The chance to come clean and prevent a world wide disaster passed quickly, so just deny. It's worked in the past, continues to work today and will into the future.

Just like there are no uigher camps, or other human rights abuses, no organ harvesting of prisoners etc.

It reminds me of the time my wife's dad drove his car through their brick fence while drunk. Car paint on the fence, bricks in the car.
"Nah wasn't me, somone backed into me at the shopping center and coincidentally somone else must have smashed into out fence.
How do I explain the paint? Must have been the same coloured car that smashed the fence.
Oh the bricks in the car? The guy that smashed the fence must have put them there"
He towed that line till he died.
The lab release theory is pure speculation based on nothing more than coincidence and fuelled by conspiracy theorists.
For decades scientists have been saying that cramped live animal containment such as wet markets, industrial level livestock processing etc. was going to lead to more virus outbreaks and it already had repeatedly prior to COVID. Did swine flu come from a lab? Bird flu? No! It’s a great example of Occam’s Razor at work

Conversely, if the Chinese somehow knew about this mythical lab release and were in a credible position to stop it, do you not think they would have? It’s been incredibly costly for them too. The idea that they could have nipped this whole pandemic in the bud but deliberately chose not to is ridiculous- especially in light of the measures they were taking on their own people in early 2020.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
If only China had placed restrictions on their border at the start, the world would be a different place right now.
If only China hand't done gain of function testing at Wuhan. At this point we all know it leaked from the lab and because of it the world is totally cooked and now I have to have a vaccine for something that doesn't really even impact me in order to keep my job which isn't even customer facing.

I mean, my mum, brother, his wife, and two kids literally just got infected with the rona (So the test say) but for whatever reason I did not get infected which has me believing the test are either wildly, WILDLY inaccurate (Even though they claim 90 percent+ accuracy) or the rona really isn't half as dangerous as people bang on about.

Forgive me for been high unconcerned by it but you'd think it was so infectious than I automatically would have gotten it if that's what was going around and it wasn't just a rando cold/flu which I normally straight up don't really get all that much anyways to begin with.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Naivety is thinking that ANY nation is going to shut their borders the moment they hear reports of what appears to be a new flu variant circulating amongst their population.

Imagine there was an outbreak of a more harmful and transmissible avian flu variant in one of Australia's many urban poultry processing plants. As with COVID and most flu's the first few cases are likely to be mild so by the time that it's brought to the attention of the authorities and they get an understanding of what's happening, the virus has already been circulating for a couple of weeks and the odds are it's probably jumped on a plane overseas.
Do you really think that our government - be it LNP or Labor- at that stage is going to unilaterally shut down all international air travel with such little information to go on? Look how many months it took before we stopped flights from China at the start of 2020.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If only China hand't done gain of function testing at Wuhan. At this point we all know it leaked from the lab and because of it the world is totally cooked and now I have to have a vaccine for something that doesn't really even impact me in order to keep my job which isn't even customer facing.

I mean, my mum, brother, his wife, and two kids literally just got infected with the rona (So the test say) but for whatever reason I did not get infected which has me believing the test are either wildly, WILDLY inaccurate (Even though they claim 90 percent+ accuracy) or the rona really isn't half as dangerous as people bang on about.

Forgive me for been high unconcerned by it but you'd think it was so infectious than I automatically would have gotten it if that's what was going around and it wasn't just a rando cold/flu which I normally straight up don't really get all that much anyways to begin with.
Or maybe your vaccine worked?