COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Good piece from Laura Tingle that summarises the current ineptitude of our government.

"The disconnect between the lived experience of most ordinary people and the pronouncements of government only seems to grow. "
“Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise." - Donald Horne.

From a book written in the 60's.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
“Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise." - Donald Horne.

From a book written in the 60's.
He wasn't wrong.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not when he wrote it, although I wouldn't call us a lucky country any more; we're a sell out. But that's nothing to do with covid.
The phrase "Lucky country" doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means. It's a dig on our government that had everything handed to it from the Commonwealth at the start of this country, as in it never started on the bottom akin to a third world country, and we haven't really prospered like we should have from very poor decisions. You're still seeing the poor decisions this very day, there's no foresight or lack of forward-thinking with the Covid issues (so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise) .

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not when he wrote it, although I wouldn't call us a lucky country any more; we're a sell out. But that's nothing to do with covid.
Nah we have been incredibly lucky as a nation this entire century. We have put close to zero effort into anything other than exporting our mineral wealth. If there hadn't been a resource boom or the world had have gotten onto renewables or alternative fuels we would have been well fucked.

The phrase "Lucky country" doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means. It's a dig on our government that had everything handed to it from the Commonwealth at the start of this country, as in it never started on the bottom akin to a third world country, and we haven't really prospered like we should have from very poor decisions. You're still seeing the poor decisions this very day, there's no hindsight and lack of forward-thinking with the Covid issues (so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise) .

That's all the lies of the propoganda machine right there...nobody here has ever made a poor decision.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
The phrase "Lucky country" doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means. It's a dig on our government that had everything handed to it from the Commonwealth at the start of this country, as in it never started on the bottom akin to a third world country, and we haven't really prospered like we should have from very poor decisions. You're still seeing the poor decisions this very day, there's no hindsight and lack of forward-thinking with the Covid issues (so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise) .
Yeah, that's how I understood it to be. I was just making a specific reference to the short sightedness of privatisation and squandering of resource revenues, but that's been done to death on other threads IIRC and is off topic, hence the "nothing to do with covid". I didn't want the weight of @Dales Cannon's ire bearing down on me. :D

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, that's how I understood it to be. I was just making a specific reference to the short sightedness of privatisation and squandering of resource revenues, but that's been done to death on other threads IIRC and is off topic, hence the "nothing to do with covid". I didn't want the weight of @Dales Cannon's ire bearing down on me. :D
Don't worry, his heat will boil down eventually...

Current covid news seems to have really died off. Is anyone else noticing this? Google still wants to inform me so I am getting a lot of articles from December popping up in my news suggestions. I was wondering if ScoMo's minders had issued a kibosh on it?

Flow-Rider

Burner

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 384957Spotted this today, dickhead
I really wonder why a stupid old prick like that even cares.

Anyway, My eldest and the one with prior chest issues including a bout of pneumonia finally got his needle yesterday, and the youngest this morning. Both basically didn't even feel it, Mr 8 even joked with the doc on if she had even done it yet haha

No side effects for either. Both have had flu shots in the past with no ill effects either.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It was actually a tale of symptoms from an infection that wasn't Covid. Extra details offered to those brave enough to PM then ended up in the thread. Probably for the best it got cleared, would have ruined a few breakfasts.

Keeping on topic WA has just been hit with more hotspots.
Plenty of details still unshared!

How is it looking on WA? You guys have go E so long without having to worry...are people doing the right thing or being dismissive?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So what’s the go with live music venues in Victoria? Seems to back to normal for them - super frustrating as there’s one I’d love to go to next week, but seems a bit foolish :(

link1896

Mr Greenfield
So what’s the go with live music venues in Victoria? Seems to back to normal for them - super frustrating as there’s one I’d love to go to next week, but seems a bit foolish :(
I’ve fucking VIP tickets to moulin rouge on 17th Feb for my partners belated 50th. cost me a fucking bomb. Aint no way we are going, hoping state pushes pause on events so I don’t have to sell the tickets for 20 cents in the dollar. Free to any Melbourne burners willing to go if the state can’t find some more common sense.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I’ve fucking VIP tickets to moulin rouge on 17th Feb for my partners belated 50th. cost me a fucking bomb. Aint no way we are going, hoping state pushes pause on events so I don’t have to sell the tickets for 20 cents in the dollar. Free to any Melbourne burners willing to go if the state can’t find some more common sense.
Mine is just a Melbourne Indy muso who happens to be playing in Castlemaine the weekend I’ll be there… Would have been awesome to reconnect with the real world outside Canberra :(