COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
apparently the government advice changing and being updated as situations and knowledge evolves equates to “inconsistent” among the scientifically illiterate.
To be fair the stuff they keep changing doesn't look like it's "for the good of the peope". Like you know, 22 hrs after saying "you need to test negative on day six to be out and about" to "ah fuck it, we dont have any tests so don't worry about it, she'll be right".

Those inconsistencies are just fuel for the antivax camp

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Even if you suspect a false positive RAT, are you going to line up for hours with others that definitely have covid?
I heard that with RAT false positives are very unlikely compared to false negatives.

Just heard the health union expects systems to reach a critical level in coming months under these settings and they are not happy with them.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I heard that with RAT false positives are very unlikely compared to false negatives.

Just heard the health union expects systems to reach a critical level in coming months under these settings and they are not happy with them.
I know personally of 4 people who have covid, positive pcr, but can't get a positive rat no matter how much they try.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers

That's somewhat reassuring, although it makes me wonder why you need to get a PCR to confirm a positive RAT when that's already a reliable indicator that you have covid? If you're symptomatic and return a negative RAT then you probably know you've got covid too, so again, why be arsed getting a PCR?

Minlak

custom titis
That's somewhat reassuring, although it makes me wonder why you need to get a PCR to confirm a positive RAT when that's already a reliable indicator that you have covid? If you're symptomatic and return a negative RAT then you probably know you've got covid too, so again, why be arsed getting a PCR?
What makes sense is not really relevant right now - Seriously not being a dick for once - They had to do something to relieve the pressure on the system - and this one if you don't look too deep seems practical to the normies.

Don't forget the plan was never meant to be eradication but suppression - The states went off on a God complex to save us all and slowed the spread too much - we actually need it to spread - so now they are devising ways to make it spread and seem like they are doing you a favour

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I know personally of 4 people who have covid, positive pcr, but can't get a positive rat no matter how much they try.
This is a good thing as it means they have a low viral load, their bodies aren't having to fight hard and they probably aren't particularly infectious.

silentbutdeadly

We got a result for The Lad last night...he tested negative. M'lady and I are still waiting, which bodes ill. However, it's now Monday and we are both without symptoms so it looks like we are all good for getting out Wednesday afternoon regardless thanks to the change in 'rules'. And we've still got a box of 5 unused RA tests!
And M'lady tested positive. No result for me yet. Given we haven't isolated within our household of three and The Lad didn't even get the disease despite not being vaccinated yet (he's only 11)...the vaccine clearly worked. Both our symptoms were very mild and we clearly weren't very infectious...

Nambra

What makes sense is not really relevant right now - Seriously not being a dick for once - They had to do something to relieve the pressure on the system - and this one if you don't look too deep seems practical to the normies.

Don't forget the plan was never meant to be eradication but suppression - The states went off on a God complex to save us all and slowed the spread too much - we actually need it to spread - so now they are devising ways to make it spread and seem like they are doing you a favour
I understand (and agree to an extent) that it has to spread; so what's the point in enforcing testing? If nobody gives a shit about the number of daily cases or contact tracing anymore because suppression is no longer the aim, then do away with PCR testing altogether.

Minlak

custom titis
I understand (and agree to an extent) that it has to spread; so what's the point in enforcing testing? If nobody gives a shit about the number of daily cases or contact tracing anymore because suppression is no longer the aim, then do away with PCR testing altogether.
The "testing" is a mechanism for slowing the spread - People that want to do right will isolate and test or try to test - If you went just went ok all go hug everyone you can it would be overwhelming

Nambra

The "testing" is a mechanism for slowing the spread - People that want to do right will isolate and test or try to test - If you went just went ok all go hug everyone you can it would be overwhelming
But PCR testing? If you have a positive RAT and feel like shit, why go and sit in a queue for five hours to be told what you already know?

I had a PCR as a requirement to travel to the NT just before Christmas, when the NT wanted a -ve PCR within 72 hours of arrival. As it was work related, QML wouldn’t bulk-bill the test so I could go away, get a Telehealth referral and come back and line up again, or pay $80 then and there, which I did because fuck trying to find a doctor on a Saturday morning. As it turned out, I didn’t even have to show proof of testing on arrival in the NT, which was fortunate as I didn’t get my result until 6 days later after I’d got home and only then because I sent a “where is my result?” email to QML.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This thread gives me a headache:eek:, Qld or any other state wouldn't have a clue about how far it's spread, people are away on holidays and as if they're going to worry about testing, especially before they go home. A friend of mine got a close contact at work, then was told to test by her work and tested positive but had no symptoms whatsoever.

Minlak

custom titis
This thread gives me a headache:eek:, Qld or any other state wouldn't have a clue about how far it's spread, people are away on holidays and as if they're going to worry about testing, especially before they go home. A friend of mine got a close contact at work, then was told to test by her work and tested positive but had no symptoms whatsoever.
QLD also no longer supplies exposure site information either - it just has an exclamation mark saying they will let you know about significant outbreaks

safreek

QLD also no longer supplies exposure site information either - it just has an exclamation mark saying they will let you know about significant outbreaks
Bloody Qld, one day I couldn't get over the border, the next day I could cross the border without testing or anything.
You have it over there now, just get rid of the idiotic border Nazis already

silentbutdeadly

And M'lady tested positive. No result for me yet. Given we haven't isolated within our household of three and The Lad didn't even get the disease despite not being vaccinated yet (he's only 11)...the vaccine clearly worked. Both our symptoms were very mild and we clearly weren't very infectious...
...and I got my result - negative. Looks like I'm going to need that booster sooner than I thought...