COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
went past the SOP testing site. havent seen more than 1-2 cars there in the year since they downsized it but was a queue of about 50 today. Some people headed interstate on holidays perhaps. We plan to get the whole family tested next week before visiting grandparents for xmas

PJO

in me vL comy
Took all of one day to get a case in Tassie after the borders opened. Strap yourselves in it's going to get bumpy

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
went past the SOP testing site. havent seen more than 1-2 cars there in the year since they downsized it but was a queue of about 50 today. Some people headed interstate on holidays perhaps. We plan to get the whole family tested next week before visiting grandparents for xmas
Testing site near my place has been similar. Barely a car there since opening pre-lockdown21 and has since downsized. Currently it is turning people away. Most of my co-workers were unable to get tested on Tuesday and about half (apparently) still don't have results.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Testing site near my place has been similar. Barely a car there since opening pre-lockdown21 and has since downsized. Currently it is turning people away. Most of my co-workers were unable to get tested on Tuesday and about half (apparently) still don't have results.

They've all gone to Bondi to sip on lattes at the beach and the rest of them have come to infect Qld.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They've all gone to Bondi to sip on lattes at the beach
Bondi is overrated. If it's time for sipping sorrows away sorrows by the beach manly is on the rise. @Oddjob loves having risky guests in his 'hood. He says it makes life exciting.

As for local exposure sites, it's pretty much every night spot in town now. I think it was 700 people at the initial event and then they had how many nights to hit every other bar in town?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
i think there are multiple ways you could be notified. youre not invisible to the various authorities if you need to be found overseas. I'd assume in this current world state, hotel databases are easily accessible for such purposes. I wont get into the whole device tracking possibility (as I don't think that's actively being used for covid tracing, though it should be).

On the carwash QR, thats like any other QR scan in. If people use it, its easier to connect positive cases via the databases this is all stored in. No different from scanning into the pub.
No one from DHHS is going to try and track down someone who has left the country as they barely have the resources for the people who are here. It’s utterly pointless having the QR code there but the issue is you could still be liable for a fine if you don’t sign-in.

Same goes for the drive-through car wash QR code. It’s nothing like scanning at the pub. In a pub or a restaurant you’re entering the same space as someone who has COVID (or have recently departed the area). That’s what I would call a ‘close contact’. In an automatic drive-through car wash, there’s no one else there. They typically aren’t staffed and apart from the brief 10-second period where you lower your window, swipe your bank card and select your wash, you are hermetically sealed in your car.
To then potentially receive an SMS demanding you get tested and isolate for such a fleeting instance is ridiculous.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Had to go to local shopping centre today - No one is signing in anywhere and it is sooo crowded

View attachment 384050
From what I’m seeing here in the Scotland it’s that signing in has largely been abandoned except in places like bars and restaurants where people are remaining in the one place for an extended period and they are removing their masks to eat and drink (masks in indoor public settings have long been a requirement here unlike south of the border)

I can see this happening in Australia soon as people are going to quickly tire of getting SMS’ requiring a long wait at a test centre then a day or two’s isolation because they grabbed a 6-pack from the bottle-o (while masked up) at the wrong time.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that people are in the habit of home testing before going to social events. I’m supposed to meet old schoolmates at the weekend for drinks at a fairly lower risk venue. Everyone has been asked on the WhatsApp group to do a rapid antigen test that day before meeting up.
This is made a lot easier by the fact that you can get home testing kits for free from the chemist whereas the kits I bought in Australia before leaving were $15 a pop - if you could find them.

That’s not to say everyone’s being as socially responsible. There are still a lot of maskless fuckwits about - hell, in Aldi even some of the checkout staff were going maskless and I have also noticed on the trains they have announcements reminding everyone that some folk can’t wear masks for medical reasons (sook-itis is the name for the condition, I believe) as I think people have been punching on over it.

Minlak

custom titis
From what I’m seeing here in the Scotland it’s that signing in has largely been abandoned except in places like bars and restaurants where people are remaining in the one place for an extended period and they are removing their masks to eat and drink (masks in indoor public settings have long been a requirement here unlike south of the border)

I can see this happening in Australia soon as people are going to quickly tire of getting SMS’ requiring a long wait at a test centre then a day or two’s isolation because they grabbed a 6-pack from the bottle-o (while masked up) at the wrong time.
It seems NSW has opened up from today to everyone ( Vaccinated or not) and that you no longer have to sign into the app at a lot of places

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
yeah, maybe a giant dick shaped structure right in the harbour where everyone can see it....hang on, didn't we have one of those and they pulled it down.
Only one? This town is filled with erected erection shaped erections! It's not called the steel city because we made steel here, but more so our commitment to big steel hard rod like penises. If it wasn't such a big ask if ride around and photograph all of them. So so so so many.

But one less since the demolition of the beloved queen's wharf penis.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It seems NSW has opened up from today to everyone ( Vaccinated or not) and that you no longer have to sign into the app at a lot of places
Yesterday was the kick off. One of my employers is still asking people to mask up when on site and all staff have to mask up regardless of vaccination status. It made for a bit of a challenge last night with 150 teenagers in for a school formal. I haven't seen anywhere that has taken down their sign in we codes yet, but given how little effort the government has put into using them it seems pretty pointless. Is had half a dozen notifications through the app in the last couple of days telling me I may have been somewhere at some stage recently and I need to look into it. This requires me to scroll back through my history to find out which one. This might be a few days back in the history. If they included the venue name in the notice life would be a lot easier. Even then the notice is really weak - you might have been in a spot that others might have been who may have had the virus, so keep an eye on yourself and maybe get tested if you feel like you know...you might be a bit sick and stuff. I haven't received a close contact notification yet though.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Doubling every 2-3 days is what I heard. The R_eff is 2+ so far, and climbing fast.
Yup, we are back to masks. Wife and boy finish work/ school tomorrow. I'm working till 23rd, then we will see how this shitshow plays out.
We are lucky that all family is OS and we can bunker down over the Xmas period

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
No one from DHHS is going to try and track down someone who has left the country as they barely have the resources for the people who are here. It’s utterly pointless having the QR code there but the issue is you could still be liable for a fine if you don’t sign-in.

Same goes for the drive-through car wash QR code. It’s nothing like scanning at the pub. In a pub or a restaurant you’re entering the same space as someone who has COVID (or have recently departed the area). That’s what I would call a ‘close contact’. In an automatic drive-through car wash, there’s no one else there. They typically aren’t staffed and apart from the brief 10-second period where you lower your window, swipe your bank card and select your wash, you are hermetically sealed in your car.
To then potentially receive an SMS demanding you get tested and isolate for such a fleeting instance is ridiculous.
I think you're seeing QR codes and contact tracing through a fairly narrow perspective.

The point of these systems is so that they can be used when necessary. Getting data from private airlines or even non purpose built govt records systems is going to be slower than those purpose built for making these connections. It's about efficiency. If we end up with a strain that's actually really fucked up, the connections can be made quickly.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Doubling every 2-3 days is what I heard. The R_eff is 2+ so far, and climbing fast.
My trip to SA next week is starting to look properly shaky then. My family are extremely confident the SA borders will stay open (it's an election year next year!) but I'm not so sure. I mean what are you gonna get nailed for more, not allowing families to reunite for Christmas or clogged Emergency Departments and ICUs on election eve?