COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

PJO

in me vL comy
i cant recall where i read it but i did see an article that charted infectious disease epidemics and pandemics through history. They were on an increase for the last 100 years and generally understood do be driven by human incursion into areas where zoonotic diseases were prevalent in local wildlife populations and then supported by advances in travel etc. The predicted curve for the next 20 or 50 years was exponential. So you may not be far off lol
Not if we wipe out all their habitats first

nathanm

Eats Squid
prevention of serious illness potentially occasioning death has been proven umpteen times and supported by studies and data quoted and linked in this very thread. Infact I believe you can find the information these days with a basic google search and maybe 15 seconds of your time....on the first page of results.

Sadly, or maybe not, depends on your perspective, the govt has made it your responsibility to work out if you want to get sick and risk dying.

like stupidity? Yeah we cant vaccinate against that yet. Or is covid the great leveler here? hmmm food for thought.
Ok so what you're saying is that everyone who doesn't get a second booster will get seriously ill or die?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Not everyone, that’s a stretch.

But take a look at these numbers from NSW and ACT and tell us what you see:

Data source here:

I'm more an engrish than maths guy but I'm talking exclusively about the second "winter" booster dose.

But I did some in depth investigation (first result on google) and found this which was interesting -

People aged <65 years with medical conditions that may increase their risk of COVID-19[1]Not currently recommended.
Remains under active consideration
Complete primary schedule. Promote first booster dose, if not already given.
ATAGI will continue to evaluate emerging evidence over the coming weeks.
Health care, aged care and disability care workersComplete primary schedule. Promote first booster dose, if not already given.
ATAGI will continue to evaluate emerging evidence over the coming weeks. Maximise up to date vaccination of patients under care.
All others aged 16–64 yearsComplete primary schedule. Promote first booster dose, if not already given.
ATAGI will continue to evaluate emerging evidence over the coming weeks.
All others aged 5–15 yearsComplete primary schedule. ATAGI will evaluate emerging evidence over the coming weeks regarding the first booster dose.

This appears to be from March 2022 but still appears to be the most current advice from Mr ATAGI.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Sweet, you are trolling. That's a relief.
Nope, just quoting government provided advice.
I was genuinely interested in hearing peoples experiences and opinions but doesn't seem like this is the place for it. No one seems to be interested in any opinion other than their own it appears and they are more than happy to jam that opinion down your throat until you choke on it.
I'm just starting to question the advice given by our government and the so called experts given so much of it has proven false and misleading. Rates aren't going up for 2 more years, you should wear masks in public unless your a liberal politician first day of parliament, all that stuff.
What I know for a fact is everyone in my house got Covid despite being triple vaxxed, no one died or got hospitalised which you can attribute, if you choose to being vaccinated.
I also know people who aren't vaccinated who had exactly the same experience.
People are getting covid 2, 3, 4 and more times again despite being vaccinated.
The Governments advice is also not to get the Winter booster at this time.
So what are we supposed to do?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
What I know for a fact is everyone in my house got Covid despite being triple vaxxed, no one died or got hospitalised which you can attribute, if you choose to being vaccinated.
I also know people who aren't vaccinated who had exactly the same experience.
People are getting covid 2, 3, 4 and more times again despite being vaccinated.
The plural of anecdote is anecdotes.

the advice given by our government and the so called experts
It's a fluid situation. When facts change, they change their mind. They are not "so-called", what utter bollocks. Mountain bikers may be statistically better looking than average, but they're not qualified to give you medical advice.

Follow the best advice of the day - yes it will change - and consider the fact that this is not all about you. Plenty of vulnerable people and those working in emergency medicine would very much appreciate it.

nathanm

Eats Squid
The plural of anecdote is anecdotes.

It's a fluid situation. When facts change, they change their mind. They are not "so-called", what utter bollocks. Mountain bikers may be statistically better looking than average, but they're not qualified to give you medical advice.

Follow the best advice of the day - yes it will change - and consider the fact that this is not all about you. Plenty of vulnerable people and those working in emergency medicine would very much appreciate it.
Best advice of the day is don't get the 4th Jab

ATAGI statement on recommendations on a winter booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine | Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care

I'm well considering getting it anyway.

and don't imply I don't care about emergency services staff and don't make assumptions. If I think getting 27 jabs all directly into my eyeballs will help reduce demand on any type of services then sign me up for both eyes.

PJO

in me vL comy
A great number of people do not have a meaningful grasp of what population statistics mean.

When a study finds that 0.1% of people will die from a disease, it doesn't mean you personally have a 0.1% chance of dying it means that if you take a representative sample of 1,000,000 people about 1,000 will die. The chance of you dying from the disease is either 100% or 0%, you'll either kick it or you won't.

That you didn't personally die from Covid or a small sample of persons that you know didn't die from Covid is likely to be an extremely biased sample. One that is so biased it is useless for drawing any conclusions.

PJO

in me vL comy
Best advice of the day is don't get the 4th Jab

ATAGI statement on recommendations on a winter booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine | Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care

I'm well considering getting it anyway.

and don't imply I don't care about emergency services staff and don't make assumptions. If I think getting 27 jabs all directly into my eyeballs will help reduce demand on any type of services then sign me up for both eyes.
Link the updated one rather than the old one: