COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
It's been over 20 years since I had the flu and I only get a cold every couple of years.
For the past 10 years I got the flu shot free at work. I've changed jobs as of last year so it's been nearly 2 years since my last flu jab.
Both the flu and covid vaccines didn't cause much more than a sore arm for me but my wife's third covid had a big reaction, with her being in bed for a couple of days, had a lot of swelling under arm that got the jab and it was the same type of vaccine as the first two in which she didn't have much of a reaction to. She also got covid after I did and had worse symptoms than me but not as bad as the third jab.
It's really hard to pick how you are going to react sometimes.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
But what's the counterfactual? If you respond poorly to a vaccine, I would not like your chances with the real thing without a vaccine.
I've had the actual Flu 5-6 times in the UK when I was younger, not man-cold. Fever, aches, chills, muscle pain, diarrhoea and bed ridden for a week or more.

Since the introduction of the Flu vax its not as common as it was, I have had the vax about 4 times over the last 20yrs and have not had the Flu for around 25yrs.

Its a calculated risk and I'm taking the chance, I reckon I am fit and healthy enough to face the flu even at my age and if I am wrong, see ya's later :D

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
covid support payments for people who have missed at least 8hrs of work in a fortnight due to needing to isolate have been available (and continue to be) to anyone with no leave entitlements left and liquid assets of les sthan 10k. I'm unsure if its a flat 1500 payment or payment upto 1500, but the bar for qualifying isn't even validated in any meaningful way and you can access it multiple times. There really is no excuse for wandering around with it
Are those payments for Covid positive only workers? What about novid or generally unwell workers? I'm not saying it's ok to walk around with Covid, but for those who are unwell and it's not Covid, they may feel they have no choice. Or they may be pressured into coming in to work or risk getting fired. It's not right, but some demographics won't fight an unfair dismissal either.
Edit: @Squidfayce, I'm not on the attack, just curious as I genuinely don't know where to find the information for the payments you mention.

Last edited:

xero

Supersports
wife's third covid had a big reaction, with her being in bed for a couple of days, had a lot of swelling under arm that got the jab and it was the same type of vaccine as the first two in which she didn't have much of a reaction to
It's really hard to pick how you are going to react sometimes.
Did she have the vax in the same arm each time? ... "Apparently" the hot tip is to swap arms for each shot ... Something to do with the lymph nodes a doc friend mentioned. ( Bit late for you now though ! )

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Are those payments for Covid positive only workers? What about novid or generally unwell workers? I'm not saying it's ok to walk around with Covid, but for those who are unwell and it's not Covid, they may feel they have no choice. Or they may be pressured into coming in to work or risk getting fired. It's not right, but some demographics won't fight an unfair dismissal either.
Edit: @Squidfayce, I'm not on the attack, just curious as I genuinely don't know where to find the information for the payments you mention.
Covid pos only. I didn't spot you were taking about generally sick people too. General sickness, meh, nothing has really changed there. people go to work sick.

When i have managed people, I have been pretty hardline about coming to work sick. Every team I've managed, the first time someone comes in sick, I have sent the rest of the team home. Its only has to happen once for 100% of the team to understand what it means to come to work for me while sick. The would much rather call in sick and rest even if they have no paid leave left rather than pick up slack for a whole team while feeling sick. Works every time.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I am one of those people. Since you fancy being condescending allow me to return the favour: COVID is scary af. I'm still having memory issues and other mental health problems since I had it several weeks ago.

Also helps when in a bad year influenza deaths were under 900 in Australia. COVID is tipped to kill 10,000 people here this year.
Didn't mean to be condescending, and I agree, COVID is scary af. A colleague has memory issues too from COVID, it is disturbing.

this is a silly position. @Asininedrivel covered it.
I just continued to get it because the health advice when the COVID vax was coming was to also continue getting the flu vax because it's a good thing for everyone.

I have not had the proper flu for many years prior to getting flu vaxed, I suffer from hellish hayfever though to the point where I sometimes have to take sick leave. Only been having the flu vax about 5 years, and when it is free from work that makes it super easy to do. Don't get any side effects.

It's a complex situation.
Yeah and I shouldn't have generalised but some people just can't be bothered with flu vax for no good reason, which I personally find strange. It might kill 10% of what COVID will but I don't want to be sick or be one of the people who passes it to one of those who will die.

When i have managed people, I have been pretty hardline about coming to work sick.
COVID has changed this for people who are able to work from home, even if they usually worked on site (pre COVID many were forced on site for no good reason other than keeping an eye on them). At my work they just won't come in now if they feel even the slightest bit off, and generally still work if they aren't too crook and their work can be done remotely.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Never been a mandate for the flu vax.

Lots of people got the covid vax because they liked their jobs.
I think there would need to be some social research done on that to figure out how much different drivers contributed to getting vaccinated.

I know of around 5-10 of maybe 100 people I know well enough on my Socials and in person family/friends to pay any attention to, who didn't get the vaccination because they are anti-vax, one got it against their will because they had to work. The rest were like, fuck this I understand that vaccines work and I don't want to die.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Did she have the vax in the same arm each time? ... "Apparently" the hot tip is to swap arms for each shot ... Something to do with the lymph nodes a doc friend mentioned. ( Bit late for you now though ! )
Pretty sure they were all the the same arm. It's certainly put her off getting any more in the future.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I just continued to get it because the health advice when the COVID vax was coming was to also continue getting the flu vax because it's a good thing for everyone.

I have not had the proper flu for many years prior to getting flu vaxed, I suffer from hellish hayfever though to the point where I sometimes have to take sick leave. Only been having the flu vax about 5 years, and when it is free from work that makes it super easy to do. Don't get any side effects.
i mean the opinion you had of people who avoid flu vax but rush to get covid vax as if these things were comparable.

Last edited:

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Vic Gov is covering casual sick leave apparently…
https://www.vic.gov.au/sick-pay-guarantee

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
insane how?
dont get me wrong i appreciate the social benefit this provides, but its insane for several reasons. It could incentivize casual work over fulltime for one. Usually fulltime rates are a little lower in these industries to offset all the entitlements a full time worker get

Seondly rather than the employer having to pay the entitlements, tax payers are. The govt has a pretty poor track record of effectively administering outbound funds to people who at the time are classified as temporarily financially vulnerable (job keeper, early super access, covid business grants, covid emergency payements etc.). my prediction is we will be seeing something in teh media about this getting abused in due course.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
covid support payments for people who have missed at least 8hrs of work in a fortnight due to needing to isolate have been available (and continue to be) to anyone with no leave entitlements left and liquid assets of les sthan 10k. I'm unsure if its a flat 1500 payment or payment upto 1500, but the bar for qualifying isn't even validated in any meaningful way and you can access it multiple times. There really is no excuse for wandering around with it
My application was rejected.