COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
For me personally, there is a huge difference between being 'educated' and intelligent. I deal with some very well educated people in my life, but an awful lot of them don't have a grain of common sense, humilty or intelligence.
Agree. But saying educated folk are more susceptible to mass delusion is complete and utter bullshit too.

If you look at flat earthers as an example, it’s an incredibly varied group and includes some highly intelligent amd educated people that have a psychological disposition to being contrarian to the extent it can throw their confirmation bias way off the charts.

On Covid, I have extended family members that are firmly in the government conspiracy camp. Some are long standing anti-government types that were always going to take that view, some are inclined to take a contrarian view to most for psychological reasons (need to feel like they’re more intelligent or better than most), and some have quite reasonable concerns about some policy decisions and have become upset enough about that the rational processing has gone off a bit.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I was enjoying the hermit kingdom but Omicron's let the cat out of the bag. At least Mark's less keen to burn out our health workers than Pairo'tits. On the plus side I might go snowboarding next year.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Agree. But saying educated folk are more susceptible to mass delusion is complete and utter bullshit too.

If you look at flat earthers as an example, it’s an incredibly varied group and includes some highly intelligent amd educated people that have a psychological disposition to being contrarian to the extent it can throw their confirmation bias way off the charts.

On Covid, I have extended family members that are firmly in the government conspiracy camp. Some are long standing anti-government types that were always going to take that view, some are inclined to take a contrarian view to most for psychological reasons (need to feel like they’re more intelligent or better than most), and some have quite reasonable concerns about some policy decisions and have become upset enough about that the rational processing has gone off a bit.
I’ve got a weird half-baked theory (admittedly formed after quite a few bevies) that flat-earthers and other such nonsense are actually part of an evolutionary trait.

It sounds daft on the face of it but if you look throughout history there’s always been groups of people who decide for reasons known only to themselves to actively kick back against whatever the common/widespread Line of thought is. The two most famous examples I can think of is the birth of Protestantism in what was a widely Catholic Western world and the Islamic equivalent with the respective Sunni and Shia split. Elsewhere in almost every culture or demographic you’ll find all sorts of examples of mad contrarianism

obviously we as rational non-fuckwits know through basic learning and observation along with scientific proof that the earth is mostly spherical but that same certainty could have been applied to Catholics in the Middle Ages/Renaissance time.

So my (again, half-cut) theory is that if we go back to the early days of civilisation there would have been cases where entire communities would have perished from such things as continually planting the same crops and being caught out by a drought, or set themselves up on the side of a volcano etc and the mad cunts who said no to the common line of thinking at the time, wound up surviving.

of course on most occasions they were probably the ones to perish but over 27,000+ years of human civilisation there’ll have probably been enough to slip through the net and pass on that weird contrarian gene.

* oh and if you’re asking, it was a mixture of beer, whisky and martini’s that brought on this enlightenment!

moorey

call me Mia
I’ve got a weird half-baked theory (admittedly formed after quite a few bevies) that flat-earthers and other such nonsense are actually part of an evolutionary trait.
Not half baked. Well documented. Much like pareidolia is an evolutionary survival mechanism.

This episode of the Podcast isn’t on the free feed any more, but gives a good rundown.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4264

This one more specifically related to Covid is though.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/skeptoid/id203844864?i=1000470768128

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
For me personally, there is a huge difference between being 'educated' and intelligent. I deal with some very well educated people in my life, but an awful lot of them don't have a grain of common sense, humilty or intelligence.
Yep, I can recall a few PHDs that I thought would have been on top of the heap and were happy to tell you all about it.

Not pleasant to talk to and preferred to demand you to do things while unable to do it themselves. Also seem to like to hoard information to and keep it to themselves.

I remember a newly graduated Electrical Engineer long ago that put extra spacers in some communications gear while putting it together. The extra spaces created a 2cm gap between the power supply and bus that the daughter boards needed to work. Still couldn't figure it out till the lowly grunts had to point out the air gap.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Yep, I can recall a few PHDs that I thought would have been on top of the heap and were happy to tell you all about it.

Not pleasant to talk to and preferred to demand you to do things while unable to do it themselves. Also seem to like to hoard information to and keep it to themselves.

I remember a newly graduated Electrical Engineer long ago that put extra spacers in some communications gear while putting it together. The extra spaces created a 2cm gap between the power supply and bus that the daughter boards needed to work. Still couldn't figure it out till the lowly grunts had to point out the air gap.
Agreed. There are some genuinely very smart people out there, who have a broader view of knowledge and how it affects the world as a whole. But they seem to be very much in the minority. There is a lot of fun to be had, for instance, by allowing a group of "educated" men (doctors mainly) to waffle on about the latest Porsche they are thinking of buying and then asking how they feel about Ferdinand Porsche's ties to the Nazi party and the fact that he was an officer in the SS? Silence.......alternatively, I reccomend they save themselves $120k and line up with their dicks out and declare a winner...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Agreed. There are some genuinely very smart people out there, who have a broader view of knowledge and how it affects the world as a whole. But they seem to be very much in the minority. There is a lot of fun to be had, for instance, by allowing a group of "educated" men (doctors mainly) to waffle on about the latest Porsche they are thinking of buying and then asking how they feel about Ferdinand Porsche's ties to the Nazi party and the fact that he was an officer in the SS? Silence.......alternatively, I reccomend they save themselves $120k and line up with their dicks out and declare a winner...
If I had the money, that wouldn’t stop me buying a GT3 RS.

But I don’t have the money so those Dr’s are dumb haha.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
So after a bunch of negative RAT's and a neg PCR over the last few weeks I've got a faint pos on a RAT this morning, only one symptom the whole way through being a persistent cough that won't bloody go away, no other symptoms at all, maybe a bit tired but I put that down to the coughing... Pretty surprised to suddenly show a pos after all this time. Screwed today's plan of catching up with friends at Holgate brewery and was planning on heading to Echuca for an engagement party next weekend, also screw's dazz junior's last Cricket Blast session which he is looking forward to.

Not as bad as missing out on a trip to Tas or the shit situations it's landed some others in, and I'm thankful for being almost asymptomatic (cheers to vaccines) but still sucks.

Fingers crossed the follow up PCR I got this arvo goes neg and it's a false alarm. Hoping that's the case since both kids and mrs dazz all neg on the RAT's this morning.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
So after a bunch of negative RAT's and a neg PCR over the last few weeks I've got a faint pos on a RAT this morning, only one symptom the whole way through being a persistent cough that won't bloody go away, no other symptoms at all, maybe a bit tired but I put that down to the coughing... Pretty surprised to suddenly show a pos after all this time. Screwed today's plan of catching up with friends at Holgate brewery and was planning on heading to Echuca for an engagement party next weekend, also screw's dazz junior's last Cricket Blast session which he is looking forward to.

Not as bad as missing out on a trip to Tas or the shit situations it's landed some others in, and I'm thankful for being almost asymptomatic (cheers to vaccines) but still sucks.

Fingers crossed the follow up PCR I got this arvo goes neg and it's a false alarm. Hoping that's the case since both kids and mrs dazz all neg on the RAT's this morning.
Bummer mate, hope you get a negative PCR.

Mr 2 has had a nasty barking cough and wheezy breathing since Friday night so got him PCR tested yesterday, awaiting results. The rest of us have returned negative RATs and no symptoms.
The thing that has me stumped is that I don't take the toddler anywhere except school drop off and pick up and sometimes the playground, all of which are outdoors.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I had an electrical engineer as a team leader in construction years ago, smart guy, but common sense of any type was in his arse. He ended up being fired because he rolled a tractor manitou carrying a 100 kg roll of plastic hose and he had large mobile crane licenses too, it's not like he wasn't educated in the effects of centre of gravity.

dazz

Downhill Dazz

Result from PCR is in (less than 15hrs after test!) and it's negative, business as usual. That damn RAT cost me great day at a brewery with friends I haven't seen in years. :mad: