COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Minlak

custom titis
Tom Gleeson rejected from entry into Perth - that in itself is what it is not really that interesting - Its's the reasoning after that I find interesting.

“Unfortunately it doesn’t matter if you’re fully vaccinated, you can still carry the virus. It protects you from having severe symptoms,” one person tweeted.

Another person wrote: “Vaccinated people can still become infected, infectious and transmit the virus. This isn’t about you, Tom.”

Another reply read: “WA has zero active Covid cases. We’d like to keep it that way thanks. Vaccination is irrelevant – you can still be infected.”

I have no issues with vaccinations or getting vaccinated I am in the process of doing mine- But my concern is the catch cry that this is our road out of lockdowns - but is it?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Tom Gleeson rejected from entry into Perth - that in itself is what it is not really that interesting - Its's the reasoning after that I find interesting.

View attachment 376798
“Unfortunately it doesn’t matter if you’re fully vaccinated, you can still carry the virus. It protects you from having severe symptoms,” one person tweeted.

Another person wrote: “Vaccinated people can still become infected, infectious and transmit the virus. This isn’t about you, Tom.”

Another reply read: “WA has zero active Covid cases. We’d like to keep it that way thanks. Vaccination is irrelevant – you can still be infected.”

I have no issues with vaccinations or getting vaccinated I am in the process of doing mine- But my concern is the catch cry that this is our road out of lockdowns - but is it?
Id be more concerned about him being identified as a ’future traveller’. Surely people like that tend to look more like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis or Michael J Fox?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
1st jab on Tuesday night - yesterday afternoon it put me on my arse and i still feel a bit crappy. Not looking forward to round 2...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
As for vaccinations being the path out of future lockdowns, I think that’s still the case. Unfortunately there are some folk out there who are chasing local eradication as the ideal scenario but it’s just not going to be possible.

The strongest argument for COVID restrictions has always been its ability to overwhelm medical resources and cripple workforces by putting entire departments out on sick leave for weeks at a time and I’ve always been a big champion of that.

Once those two things become manageable thanks to vaccine rollout and efficacy then we have to look at opening up because we’re fucked financially if we don’t. Particularly when the rest of the world is opening up and -through necessity- finding ways to live with the virus.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Still yes, but basically we need enough vaccination in the population that the raw case numbers are no longer an issue, because when people get it they won't end up in hospital thanks to having had the vaccine. At some point, govt needs to start talking about this so people don't freak the fuck out when it comes time.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It will be but not until next year once the mrna vaccines have been offered to everyone and after the fed election.. Having said that, the pressure is mounting for fully vaccinated people to have more privileges. At some point, as ridiculous as it seems, I wouldn’t be surprised if fully vaccinated people will be able to travel o/s even if there are state borders closures happening.. Right now you can travel to NZ from Victoria quarantine free but have to do 14 days if you want to go to WA.. Madness..

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm only too happy for people to go overseas, It's letting them come back that I have an issue with.
Honestly, I'm finding it harder to agree as time wears on. The disconnect between our success in suppressing the virus and our complete failure to deploy vaccines has created a situation in which we're being punished for our own success.

30% of Australian residents were born overseas - the highest it's been since 1893. Extrapolate that to 2nd generation and a huge huge number of people are precluded from seeing their loved ones with no target or roadmap for when that will change. Meanwhile, there's f-all rational discretion applied in processing travel exemptions etc on compassionate or any grounds other than that you're a sportsperson or the guest of honour at some Rhodes Scholars' wankfest in Oxford.

Not saying it should be a free-for-all party like it's 2019, but we regularly use home quarantine for people who have been at hotspot exposure sites etc - why aren't we talking about a longer-term solution that means, for example, that if you've been in a lower-risk location you can do your 14 days at home with mandatory testing on days x, y and z?

Also... Why can't I voluntarily get AZ instead of waiting for ever for an mRNA option given we're now basically just tipping it down the sink?

/rant

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can, you just have to consent.. Used to be tricky during lockdown but not anymore with the above 60 recommendation..
Where abouts? I've tried four different places locally and been told by all that they won't give me the shot regardless of waivers etc, so very keen to head somewhere else

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
A quick GooGle of Weyerhaeuser and the truck style in the background shows this is Washington USA.

Renovations must be getting pricey.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt

View attachment 376798

The current vaccines are an exercise in making it look like world government are doing something. It sounds about as affective as lem sip.

I am happy to be vaccinated when a vaccine that actually works is on the market.

Our ticket out is understanding the critically vulnerable populations and how to protect them vs the majority that could get the virus and not even know they have it.

Our fed and state governments must be laughing all the way to the bank having an excuse to cover up their piss poor economic management pre covid.
The world has entered another cold war era so it provided good distraction form that as well.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's your definition of a vaccine that works? Not having a go by the way, just curious to know
One that stops you getting or transmitting the virus.
Better testing could also help as the key issue we have is people don’t know they have the virus so we have outbreak after outbreak when people resume normal life.

LPG

likes thicc birds
One that stops you getting or transmitting the virus.
Better testing could also help as the key issue we have is people don’t know they have the virus so we have outbreak after outbreak when people resume normal life.
Do any vaccines actually do that on an individual level? From my understanding most vaccines work by reducing the chances of diseases spreading so that the population is protected from an outbreak because infection levels are slowed to the point that the virus isn't spreading rampant.