Confessions from the fuckwits

ausdb

Being who he is
I was doing a brake swap yesterday, ye olde XT off my bike as the master cylinders weeping a bit to donate the caliper to the sons ye olde XT that's decided its now landrover not Shimano. Brand new second hand Orion 4p onto my bike, that jobs done. Cut the hose on his bike, grab a barb and olive from the spares box, tap it in and start cranking it down. Whilst I'm doing it I think to myself, that tapped in really easy. Look through my spares box and notice the other spare barb is silver and my hoses are BH59.
This mornings job go to the big chain bike shop that's open on Sundays and pay Sunday tax for a barb and olive.
Fuckwit!

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I was doing a brake swap yesterday, ye olde XT off my bike as the master cylinders weeping a bit to donate the caliper to the sons ye olde XT. Brand new second hand. Orion 4p onto my bike, that jobs done. Cut the hose on his bike, grab a barb and olive from the spares box, tap it in and start cranking it down. Whilst I'm doing it I think to myself, that tapped in really easy. Look through my spares box and notice the other spare barb is silver and my hoses are BH59.
This mornings job go to the big chain bike shop that's open on Sundays and pay Sunday tax for a barb and olive.
Fuckwit!
You can in theory punch out the old hose and re expand the olive with needle nose pliers.

Or just get Goodridge hoses and fittings.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ausdb

Being who he is
You can in theory punch out the old hose and re expand the olive with needle nose pliers.

Or just get Goodridge hoses and fittings.

No chance on the old one from his bike, the hose was rusted into the bolt and the olive got seriously mangled getting the old hose out. I forgot to look at the one from mine. I don't think it's worth putting more money into them as is, probably better to start renewing stuff and put these in a box to forget about until they're well and truly vintage :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
No chance on the old one from his bike, the hose was rusted into the bolt and the olive got seriously mangled getting the old hose out. I forgot to look at the one from mine. I don't think it's worth putting more money into them as is, probably better to start renewing stuff and put these in a box to forget about until they're well and truly vintage :)
I have a load of old ends that have been cut off to shorten hoses, kept due to the solution put forward by @Oddjob.

Use a Stanley knife and cut the old hosing back, pull the guts out using a pair of pointy nose pliers, this will free the barb and eventually leave you with a olive that is too small. File off the squashed bit on either side and get busy with a round needle file, holding the olive carefully with a pair of regular pliers with a half moon grip.
You will be able to get the 'edge' filed back and keep trying it for size on a new section of hose (make sure its completely round)

After a bit of file and try, the old used olive will be able to slip over the new hose, fit barb and it will make a perfectly good seal.

I have done this twice in the past many years, I try and have spares but sometimes these jobs just sneak up on you and a bit of improvisation is needed to get you riding.

Definitely easier to have spares, the $ cost per time spent is well under the minimum wage but it works and gives a bloke a little bit of recycling job satisfaction.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Got a doozey for you guys from Saturday.

Bought a new 9 speed chain for the roadie on Saturday, wanted a quick link anyway and the bike has never had a new chain in the 7 years (but probably less than 1000k's) that I've owned it.
Cool, hit my fav LBS on the way to miss 3's swimming lesson to get it.

Sat night, out in the shed to fit new chain and front mech (spacer for front mech had arrived, finally have front shifting again!). Fit it all up, and notice the front mech's range of movement doesn't cover all 3 front gears. Also has a '2' cast into one of the linkages. Great, not only did I buy a front mech for the wrong dia seat tube (hence spacer), but for a 2 speed front not a 3. Idiot.

Oh well, I'll leave it on there as it sort of allows me to shift between the two smaller chainrings, which at this point are all I use anyway. Correct front mech ordered.

Give it a test pedal on the stand and chain keeps skipping on the chainrings. Huh. Count the gears on the cassette, and whaddyaknow, 8 speed rear. Idiot.

Well, time to put the original chain back on (good thing I left the pin I pushed out in the outer so I could easily reassemble the chain if needed) and go have a beer.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Got a doozey for you guys from Saturday.

Bought a new 9 speed chain for the roadie on Saturday, wanted a quick link anyway and the bike has never had a new chain in the 7 years (but probably less than 1000k's) that I've owned it.
Cool, hit my fav LBS on the way to miss 3's swimming lesson to get it.

Sat night, out in the shed to fit new chain and front mech (spacer for front mech had arrived, finally have front shifting again!). Fit it all up, and notice the front mech's range of movement doesn't cover all 3 front gears. Also has a '2' cast into one of the linkages. Great, not only did I buy a front mech for the wrong dia seat tube (hence spacer), but for a 2 speed front not a 3. Idiot.

Oh well, I'll leave it on there as it sort of allows me to shift between the two smaller chainrings, which at this point are all I use anyway. Correct front mech ordered.

Give it a test pedal on the stand and chain keeps skipping on the chainrings. Huh. Count the gears on the cassette, and whaddyaknow, 8 speed rear. Idiot.

Well, time to put the original chain back on (good thing I left the pin I pushed out in the outer so I could easily reassemble the chain if needed) and go have a beer.
That's good. I got a better one.

We've had a few dry days and thought about riding. Drove past my trails and they looked like Noah's Ark was still in the area. Fuckwit.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
the bike has never had a new chain in the 7 years (but probably less than 1000k's) that I've owned it.

I use a 8spd chain on my Zwift 9spd setup. Which would have more potential to jump than a 9spd chain on 8.
Thinking you may have more than 1000km on there and the cassette might be worn.

7, 8, and 9 speed chains have the same inner width, but 9 speed chains have thinner outer plates for a thinner overall chain. So while a 9 speed chain works fine on a 7 or 8 speed drivetrain, it will be a weaker chain that tends to "stretch" faster.

crash3

Likes Dirt
I use a 8spd chain on my Zwift 9spd setup. Which would have more potential to jump than a 9spd chain on 8.
Thinking you may have more than 1000km on there and the cassette might be worn.
Cheers Ozzy. Yeah I told the same story to some mates at work and one who used to be a bike mechanic reckons the chain should be fine. I'll give it another crack, if it does jump I may have to put on a new cassette.

cammas

Seamstress
So the gravel/commuter bike has been losing air in the rear tyre at first I thought it was the tubeless set up bedding in sealing up any small leaks etc. But after a few weeks it needs to be pumped up about every 3 days it’s not dead flat it’s about half flat.
I stripped down the wheel tonight, plenty of sealant in there and the only thing I could see was a little damage near the valve. So I strip off all the old tape, clean the rim so the new tape will stick, wrap it with two layers, get everything back together and I’m like bugger it I’ll change the valve core so I tick all the boxes.
So after I do all this, I fire up the compressor put on the adapter just as I put the nozzle on the valve it’s slips in my hand and bends the new core then snaps it half leaving the thread in the valve stem, dropping the bottom half of the core into the tyre. So then I had to crack open the tyre fish around for the bit of core, then take the valve stem out and unthread the broken valve which obviously was straight forward :rolleyes:. Put in a new core, get the valve back in, slide the tyre back into place and then pump it up with out it breaking, now hopefully after all of that it better stay up.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not MTB related, well maybe in a way being that I was doing chores instead of going for a ride....
Started my very trusty Shindaiwa whippersnipper yesty morning, so it could warm up a bit while I got my boots on. It conked out which isn't unusual when cold. Finished getting boots on and faffing about, then the fucker wouldn't start ! WTF, FFS and many pulls of the starter cord - to the point of getting a decent blister on one finger, I got a can of Start Ya Bastard out, checked the air filter, drained the tank and put a bit of neat petrol in. It would fire briefly, as in a couple of turns then die. Better check the spark plug maybe it's oily or something. Looks fine but as I turn it upside down I see the ceramic around the electrode is loose. It's the OEM plug from 10 years ago, local Repco has them in stock so chuck a new one in and it fires with barely half a pull of the cord. They say pain is a great teacher :rolleyes:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Sorting my bike for a ride tomorrow. Hmm, a lot of air in the rear shock, feels really stiff - hang on, why is the shock locked out, I don’t remember doing that?
Fark, think I rode my entire ride last week with it locked out

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sorting my bike for a ride tomorrow. Hmm, a lot of air in the rear shock, feels really stiff - hang on, why is the shock locked out, I don’t remember doing that?
Fark, think I rode my entire ride last week with it locked out
Bet you had a good ride and felt quick everywhere though, right?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had to do some work on eldest kid's fork and only realised at school leaving time this morning that I'd somehow stuffed the re-install and the headset isn't turning properly
Let him take the Paradox so he could get to school on time, received a message from him when he got there with 'this is a great bike, don't expect to get it back". Never let your kids get a taste of the good life...