Confessions from the fuckwits

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Scotty675

Cable thief
This work?

I was going to buy this as a spare but won’t fit unfortunately. I bought a deluxe ultimate unfortunately

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Two things concern me about this mornings discovery:

1. How often I do this.

2. How long it typically takes me to work out I’ve done it. This has been on at least 5 rides since I last installed this chain.

View attachment 390290
The international brotherhood of chain manufacturers thanks you.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

crash3

Likes Dirt
Now I know I'm a fuckwit, but I need help knowing why.

Had a broken spoke nipple that needed replacing, so decided to go tubeless while the tube was out.
Completely removed the rim tape that made my rims tubeless ready from the factory (is this my fuckwittery?) to get the new nipple in. Applied new rim tape, took my time, tried to keep it as straight as possible (bloody hell that's hard). Chucked the tyre back on, didn't put sealant in, wanted to check it holds air. As you can see in the image below, it doesn't. Is my fuckwittery in not applying the rim tape correctly? Or is it that I should expect small leaks like this, and just dump in the sealant liquid, which may help these leaks?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Now I know I'm a fuckwit, but I need help knowing why.

Had a broken spoke nipple that needed replacing, so decided to go tubeless while the tube was out.
Completely removed the rim tape that made my rims tubeless ready from the factory (is this my fuckwittery?) to get the new nipple in. Applied new rim tape, took my time, tried to keep it as straight as possible (bloody hell that's hard). Chucked the tyre back on, didn't put sealant in, wanted to check it holds air. As you can see in the image below, it doesn't. Is my fuckwittery in not applying the rim tape correctly? Or is it that I should expect small leaks like this, and just dump in the sealant liquid, which may help these leaks?

View attachment 390407
You don't want it coming out of the spoke holes, leaking around the bead is ok.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback gents. I'll go put the tube back in, and try again without it tomorrow night. Failing that, apply another run of rim tape I guess.

@The Duckmeister the profiles looked pretty similar to me, unfortunately I only got cheapo ones from Aliexpress (perhaps there is my fuckwittery), but everything about them seemed more impressive than I expected. I used a pick to punch a circular hole in the rim tape and pushed the valve through here, so I think the hole will have been fine.

Thanks again.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Another thing to check.... Some rims have breather holes drilled in the rim shoulders, which are to allow for air expansion during the manufacturing process. Make sure you haven't left any uncovered.

However, given the leaks appear to be close to the valve, I'm tipping the valve base isn't sealed.

I cut an X in the tape to make the valve hole, which tends to be fairly reliable for sealing.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Another thing to check.... Some rims have breather holes drilled in the rim shoulders, which are to allow for air expansion during the manufacturing process. Make sure you haven't left any uncovered.

However, given the leaks appear to be close to the valve, I'm tipping the valve base isn't sealed.

I cut an X in the tape to make the valve hole, which tends to be fairly reliable for sealing.
Surely any rim with that wouldn't be advertised as 'tubeless ready' though right?
There was another leak at 180° from the valve stem that I didn't get in the photo.
The valve base looked very well seated in the hole, and the rim tape was perfectly cut to the edges of the hole. That looked ok to me.
I've taken @Mattyp's suggestion and put the tube back in (on top of another layer of rim tape) under the tyre and inflated to 40psi. I'll leave that for about 24hrs then give it another run tomorrow with the soapy water. If that fails, might have to buy some wider rim tape and better valves.

Thanks again all.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
The valve base looked very well seated in the hole, and the rim tape was perfectly cut to the edges of the hole. That looked ok to me.
Looks can be deceiving. I have a pair of wheels that are definitely tubeless ready with valves that refused to seal until a added a glob of silicone.