Confessions from the fuckwits

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes. Plus tyres were a big thing. The 2.6-2.8 fad was fully sick for a while.
Maxxis also make the wt version of 2.4/2.5 tyres with a profile designed for wide rims.
I have some. They’ll be fine with those.
Wont this eat into your rolling/climbing speed?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They pull up nice on 40i too:

I did actually wonder if you could go all drift racer and stretch a narrower tyre out. Reduced tyre roll powering the corners?

They aren't for my gravel or tri bikes.

The WT's aren't really any different from other 2.4/2.5's, just designed for a wide rim, to keep closer to a proper tyre profile on a wide rim.
Fair enough. I had a lot of the wide rims back when I was trendy, certainly noticed having less tyre bag when I realised I could drop a lot of weight with different wheel+tyre combos. When I ditched the sunn mtx39 for the mtx33 on my work bike it was a lot faster riding to work.

But the look of the mtx39 and a crazy Bob tyre was mighty fine.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I did actually wonder if you could go all drift racer and stretch a narrower tyre out. Reduced tyre roll powering the corners?
Unless you can find a tyre with tread over the sidewalls you'll lose grip if you try to lean the bike over. It'd be draggy in a straight line also as all the tread is 'engaged' at once. But the biggest problem for MTB is a stretched tyre is easy to burp.

I ran a narrowish (2.3?) tyre on a wide-ish rim (35i) at some point, it felt like it was made out of wood as the sidewalls were so vertical they didn't really deflect over bumps.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Unless you can find a tyre with tread over the sidewalls you'll lose grip if you try to lean the bike over. It'd be draggy in a straight line also as all the tread is 'engaged' at once. But the biggest problem for MTB is a stretched tyre is easy to burp.

I ran a narrowish (2.3?) tyre on a wide-ish rim (35i) at some point, it felt like it was made out of wood as the sidewalls were so vertical they didn't really deflect over bumps.

So mtb is not drift compatible?

moorey

call me Mia

Yep. Even a WT maxxis 2.4 on 35 wasn't perfect IMHO, but I'm not going any bigger. I find the wide rims also a bit more prone to dings and dents...based on a sample size of one....with Felix riding them.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought these 2 tools from Ali Express last November. I have one set of wheels I want to change from pawls to ratchets and 2 others to service the bearings. I thought the black one was for the ring nut on the hub with pawls. Didn't bother to check. I received the tools for removing and pressing bearings in the last 2 weeks. I am already to go, right?
Went out to the shed last night to start on the 3 pawl wheel...and...they are both the same tool. Only fit the ratchet hub. @!$#%!
I checked the Ali purchase and too late to send back and exchange. A new one is $15. The same price the LBS will charge to remove the old ring nut.

I will post the black one for sale later today.

cammas

Seamstress
I won’t lie…as much of a fuckwit as I am for not noticing 40mm on mine, if I’d noticed, I might have ordered the i35’s without noticing 28h either, and been more gutted. They would have gone straight to FB.
I will see how I go, I am a bit of wuss riding anyway, as long as I can get down boulder or junction/link track at the Youies without the wheel buckling I’ll be happy