Confessions from the fuckwits

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Good parenting opportunity here. Sooner or later they will have to learn that people all through life are going to promise them things and then not deliver. May as well be you to teach them!
Is that what you tell them when you turn up with your new bike.....

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Had a spare fork...a new Fox 38...didn't really love it so figured fitting a Smashpot would be a great idea as I had a few springs lying around that would suit from previous builds with Vorsprung. Built it up with a 50lb spring at 170mm travel and put it on the Titan for a ride.
First impressions were the usual small chatter delete but the mid stroke felt super stout and on a longer run I got hand pain and I had only used about 70% travel...I was like WTF.

I figured I was getting old and less aggressive and needed a softer spring and blamed the damper on the harshness...stupid Fox.

I found a 45lb spring on ebay...bought it.

Pulled the damper and sent it to Shockcraft to try his unharsh tune (I've been curious about Dougal's work for a while anyway).

Last night I thought I would be pro-active and pull the spring in preparation for the lighter one turning up. Long story short...that fucking spring was not coming out.

With the 38 fork a clear plastic sleeve is inserted into the stanchion and then the spring/smashpot assembly slide inside of this. I had reused a spring that had previously been in a Fox 36 so this meant it has two layers of heat shrink on it to help reduce noise. This extra heat shrink had created enough of an increase in outside diameter that when the fork was assembled and ridden the bond between the spring/heat shrink/plastic sleeve/stanchion wall had become one and no amount of pulling was going to break it free. I ended up with the CSU removed with the spring still in there, clamping a spring end in a vice and having to unscrew the CSU from the spring.

The binding spring explains the mid stroke stoutness, the harshness and why I wasn't using the travel appropriately so I probably didn't need a softer spring or a goddam damper tune.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Had a spare fork...a new Fox 38...didn't really love it so figured fitting a Smashpot would be a great idea as I had a few springs lying around that would suit from previous builds with Vorsprung. Built it up with a 50lb spring at 170mm travel and put it on the Titan for a ride.
First impressions were the usual small chatter delete but the mid stroke felt super stout and on a longer run I got hand pain and I had only used about 70% travel...I was like WTF.

I figured I was getting old and less aggressive and needed a softer spring and blamed the damper on the harshness...stupid Fox.

Pulled the damper and sent it to Shockcraft to try his unharsh tune (I've been curious about Dougal's work for a while anyway).

Last night I thought I would be pro-active and pull the spring in preparation for the lighter one turning up. Long story short...that fucking spring was not coming out.

With the 38 fork a clear plastic sleeve is inserted into the stanchion and then the spring/smashpot assembly slide inside of this. I had reused a spring that had previously been in a Fox 36 so this meant it has two layers of heat shrink on it to help reduce noise. This extra heat shrink had created enough of an increase in outside diameter that when the fork was assembled and ridden the bond between the spring/heat shrink/plastic sleeve/stanchion wall had become one and no amount of pulling was going to break it free. I ended up with the CSU removed with the spring still in there, clamping a spring end in a vice and having to unscrew the CSU from the spring.

The binding spring explains the mid stroke stoutness, the harshness and why I wasn't using the travel appropriately so I probably didn't need a softer spring or a goddam damper tune.
Ooft - that's a meaty CotFW entry. Solid effort.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

I understand none of that but I'm still sad.

Jpez

Down on the left!

Nice work! You make us proud.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Or still could be the best choice and you have something on the way. You haven't lost yet.

moorey

call me Mia
Ute is booked in for suspension work. Drove it to other side of Ballarat leave it there, ride the 20km home in rain and mud, planning to be home in time to clean up and log on for WFH.
Gagging for a shower and clean off… forgot we have a scheduled power outage until about 3pm. Out here, no power also means no water. FML.
Also hadn’t left laptop on charge overnight. Zoom meetings a plenty all day. Lappy already flat. Also FML.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Battery , solar panel and an invertor ?

If you have instantaneous can jury rig to HWS - don't tell all of the RB sparkys tho ... they will shit themselves

Pot on the range , sprayer bottle ?
( Mrs Moorey might assist , kids are at school ........

moorey

call me Mia
Battery , solar panel and an invertor ?

If you have instantaneous can jury rig to HWS - don't tell all of the RB sparkys tho ... they will shit themselves

Pot on the range , sprayer bottle ?
( Mrs Moorey might assist , kids are at school ........
Used to have solar boosted hot water. It was always failing. Once out of warranty, we shut it off.
We couldn’t go full solar here 18 years ago without chopping out 100’s of trees or building a huge tower for the panels. Then we would still have struggled, running a genny all the time like neighbors. A lot has changed since then. We looked at options recently, but it was still expensive and had limitations with our site.

No instantaneous. Boiling water for cuppa. I’ll survive.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
ride the 20km home in rain and mud, planning to be home in time to clean up and log on for WFH.
Lockdown saves you from 20km wet rides, errr,,, winning. Sounds like it is going to be long day in manky bike clothes for you unfortunately.