Confessions from the fuckwits

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
sorry for your loss of flesh...

Just wondering, has anyone who rides with flats ever had the backs of their legs gouged by pedal pins? :oops:

Last time I rode with flat pedals, I wore shin pads as well as the usual knee pads.

Yes...24 stitches around my Achilles area from 3 pins tearing me up. I thought I could bunny hop higher than I could and the resulting sudden stop sent my right foot forward off the pedal.

I wear knee-shin pads off road. Wouldn't have helped with that injury though.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There’s approximately 564 things I could do to improve my riding speed….shaved legs is 563rd on the list.
Leg shaving isn't about speed. It"s practical: when there's no hair it's a lot quicker and easier to clean up the post-ride mess - brush the mud/blood/horse shit off so it doesn't grab & muck up the insides of your trackies when you go for a post-ride bevvie. And if blood is involved and needing dressings, considerably less painful when peeling said dressings off.

I'm not remotely fast. I like not having excessive mud/blud/horse shit caked in my daks after a ride, so that's why I shave. ;)

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Leg shaving isn't about speed. It"s practical: when there's no hair it's a lot quicker and easier to clean up the post-ride mess - brush the mud/blood/horse shit off so it doesn't grab & muck up the insides of your trackies when you go for a post-ride bevvie. And if blood is involved and needing dressings, considerably less painful when peeling said dressings off.

I'm not remotely fast. I like not having excessive mud/blud/horse shit caked in my daks after a ride, so that's why I shave. ;)
Why would you want to put other clothes on? Oh, that’s right, Lycra shame.

*ps, you go with that excuse. No one is buying it ;)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Why would you want to put other clothes on? Oh, that’s right, Lycra shame.

*ps, you go with that excuse. No one is buying it ;)
Are you saying that you ride in trackies? o_O

PS, I didn't say anything about lycra, I referred to post-ride clothes..... Depending on where one is, and one's sensitivity to ambient temperature, one may choose to apply more thermally insulating garments for post-ride refreshments than one may choose to wear while riding....

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Are you saying that you ride in trackies? o_O

PS, I didn't say anything about lycra, I referred to post-ride clothes..... Depending on where one is, and one's sensitivity to ambient temperature, one may choose to apply more thermally insulating garments for post-ride refreshments than one may choose to wear while riding....
You’re talking to a Ballarat guy here. Again, not buying it.
Shave away, just don’t pretend it for anything other than looks or aerodynamic :p

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

When I was still in highschool I had a @Minlak moment and managed to get the tapered side of a very sharp axe stuck in my left thigh. Off to hospital for some cat gut or whatever they used in the 14th century. Nurse shaves the wound to prevent hairs getting caught and thence possible infection. Razor cut the edge of the wound. That hurt more than the axe did.

moorey

call me Mia
When I was still in highschool I had a @Minlak moment and managed to get the tapered side of a very sharp axe stuck in my left thigh. Off to hospital for some cat gut or whatever they used in the 14th century. Nurse shaves the wound to prevent hairs getting caught and thence possible infection. Razor cut the edge of the wound. That hurt more than the axe did.
Sometimes the treatment is the worst part...
Early 2000's at a DH race, I got there for practice before my mate who had most of my gear in his car. I had my helmet and bike, so I decided to do a slow sighter run in a tshirt. Of course I binned it hard on my elbow on a granite slab, and tore the flesh down to the bone.
Went to first aid, and was treated by nurse Ratchet, who noted there was chunks of gravel deeply embedded, and commenced to literally scrub very hard with what I assume was a wire brush. After it was done, she noted that my eyes had rolled back in my head a few times, and she thought I was about to faint. She wasn't wrong.
I still have the scar...and possibly some gravel.

cammas

Seamstress
Sometimes the treatment is the worst part...
Early 2000's at a DH race, I got there for practice before my mate who had most of my gear in his car. I had my helmet and bike, so I decided to do a slow sighter run in a tshirt. Of course I binned it hard on my elbow on a granite slab, and tore the flesh down to the bone.
Went to first aid, and was treated by nurse Ratchet, who noted there was chunks of gravel deeply embedded, and commenced to literally scrub very hard with what I assume was a wire brush. After it was done, she noted that my eyes had rolled back in my head a few times, and she thought I was about to faint. She wasn't wrong.
I still have the scar...and possibly some gravel.
Yes I’ve been there, motor bike accident not wearing a jacket and landing on the bitumen to say the least I had some gravel rash. I was laying in emergency and the nurse looks at me and says this going to hurt, she picks up a toothbrush and squirts saline on my arm and starts scrubbing, had to clean from my knuckles to my elbow. I had no pain killers as I had further tests to go for broken bones and internal bleeding. I didn’t feel a thing by that time I was past it, with a partially dislocated and broken hip, pelvis broken in 2 places, broken sternum and a dislocated and broken wrist, gravel rash was the least of my worries. But I was picking gravel out for months, slowly coming up to the surface then pop out comes a little rock.