Confessions from the fuckwits

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
OK, so not long ago I was building up a set of wheels, and while lacing one of them the battery on the cordless drill went flat. No biggie, I'll just grab the second battery and carry on my merry way. Nick out to the shed and the spare isn't sitting next to the charger where it normally lives in a rare case of being organised. Search high and low for it without success, so chuck the flat battery on the charger and do something else for a bit. The next day while doing something else I spot the cordless saw under the bench that I'd forgotten I'd bought a couple of weeks earlier. Which I picked because it used the same battery as the drill. I think you know where the "missing" battery is.....

nathanm

Eats Squid
The only things a car roof is good for are collecting bird shit and carrying surfboards.
Structural rigidity? Don't forget that either.

Jokes aside thats only the first, well second time ive done it. With my shitty old mazda 3 its the best and easiest one to transport my bike.

Have seen and heard of plenty of bikes coming off all manner of Tow bar racks and getting damaged on tail gates.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Joined the prestigious club of people who carry their bike on the roof of their car and then drive into shit.

Thankfully only the handlebars hit but still managed to rip the brake lever clean off.

Hoping to not find any other incidental damage but still frustrating as im half way though a 2 day trip to St Helens.

Have been pulled out of the shit by the awesome guys at Gravity Isle who are sticking me on a hire e-bike for a discounted price so i can still ride tomorrow.
What did you manage to hit?

I don't recall anything out that way that would provide such a hazard.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Joined the prestigious club of people who carry their bike on the roof of their car and then drive into shit.

Thankfully only the handlebars hit but still managed to rip the brake lever clean off.

Hoping to not find any other incidental damage but still frustrating as im half way though a 2 day trip to St Helens.

Have been pulled out of the shit by the awesome guys at Gravity Isle who are sticking me on a hire e-bike for a discounted price so i can still ride tomorrow.
I refuse to buy a roof rack because I know I'd do this more than once!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

My brother in law did the same thing recently. To a bike I had just finished building for him with some parts from my own stash.
He didn't tell me about it until he brought the bike back with a new set of brakes to go on.
Apparently he made a noise no man makes, except when his pride and joy just got jammed against the roof of a new underground carpark in front of lots of people.
Like you, he smashed one lever right off and the WTB Volt saddle I donated has a unique patina to it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I refuse to buy a roof rack because I know I'd do this more than once!
I'm the same. I used to leave the garage remote in the rear hatch to force myself to get out and notice the bike on the rack before driving in.

Either risk squishing it on s roof or risk a rear ender on a towbar rack.

Makes owning a big white van a lot more attractive.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I have roof racks, but the day I move into a place with an actual garage with a remote door, they're going to have to come off.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have roof racks, but the day I move into a place with an actual garage with a remote door, they're going to have to come off.
Nat, hide the remote or disengage the roller door thingy.

A big sign stuck on the front of the door saying 'Bike on roof' might help too if you don't open it too far away.

It is a lot of hassle protecting yourself from yourself :)

Lucaw

Next in line
Have seen and heard of plenty of bikes coming off all manner of Tow bar racks and getting damaged on tail gates.
We were going to the Meehan travelling at 100 and one of the straps gave way, leaving my bike to flail around behind the car

moorey

call me Mia
We were going to the Meehan travelling at 100 and one of the straps gave way, leaving my bike to flail around behind the car
I’m yet to ever see a bike fall out of a good quality rack if fitted PROPERLY. (Upright or vertical)
Very few of my mates with roof mounted bikes HAVEN’T had a carport/garage/drive through mishap at some stake...if not multiple.
I’ve used tailgate pads or similar for years in the past. There’s always some rubbing to frame/fork eventually, but at least they’re not falling out any time.
I do get people complaining about good racks being $1200-1600 for a 4-6 carrier (and some shitty ones are priced around that) but for me it’s a no brainer. I understand some people use racks only occasionally, or don’t want to outlay big money.
I did have a previous big name rack snap in the past, with bikes on, on the highway. Was a freak thing, and rack was replaced along with all damaged bike parts, no questions asked.
My current rack is probably over engineered, and sturdier than any other I see on the market, but I STILL brace it to the ute tub, because peace of mind. It lives on there 24/7, has bikes on it every day, and I live on bumpy dirt roads. Nothing on the bikes touch aside from tyres. It’s impossible for them to fall out of the rack.
Yes, I could get rear ended. That’s someone else’s insurance problem.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I’m yet to ever see a bike fall out of a good quality rack if fitted PROPERLY. (Upright or vertical)
Very few of my mates with roof mounted bikes HAVEN’T had a carport/garage/drive through mishap at some stake...if not multiple.
I’ve used tailgate pads or similar for years in the past. There’s always some rubbing to frame/fork eventually, but at least they’re not falling out any time.
I do get people complaining about good racks being $1200-1600 for a 4-6 carrier (and some shitty ones are priced around that) but for me it’s a no brainer. I understand some people use racks only occasionally, or don’t want to outlay big money.
I did have a previous big name rack snap in the past, with bikes on, on the highway. Was a freak thing, and rack was replaced along with all damaged bike parts, no questions asked.
My current rack is probably over engineered, and sturdier than any other I see on the market, but I STILL brace it to the ute tub, because peace of mind. It lives on there 24/7, has bikes on it every day, and I live on bumpy dirt roads. Nothing on the bikes touch aside from tyres. It’s impossible for them to fall out of the rack.
Yes, I could get rear ended. That’s someone else’s insurance problem.
Which one is it again? Mrs George saw vertical racks in action down at the Otway Odyssey and now wants one