Confessions from the fuckwits

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just noticed the new cassette I thought was 11-46 is actually 11-42 WTF I'm sure I ordered 11-46, maybe it was out of stock and I imagined it.

Minlak

custom titis
I just noticed the new cassette I thought was 11-46 is actually 11-42 WTF I'm sure I ordered 11-46, maybe it was out of stock and I imagined it.
Lol I did the same thing but different a few weeks ago. I ordered 11-46 as that’s what I have now and when it arrives I actually use 11-42 not 11-46.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was supposed to be doing a road ride today over the Grampians for lunch with a mate so I thought I'd better dust off the road bike and charge the di2.

I fire up the PC and the Shimano di2 program and figure I'll see if there's any updates for it since I haven't looked in about 3 years. Sure enough, everything's got a firmware update so I press the button and off it goes.

Only, half way through doing the junction box it fails/disconnects and bricks the junction box. Now I've got a bike that no longer shifts and nothing I've tried has resurrected the junction box.

So, fuck di2 and I still wish I'd gone for the traditional cable setup. Sigh.

Had a freak out thinking I had applied red loctite (before applying grease) when building my bike as this is the only loctite I had.

Had a big phew moment when I realised it was Loctite 222 without the purple sticker.

Now I have the blue one.

Still concerned I have the grease / loctite matrix arse about

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Reds not too bad, the green one when things get real fucky!

If in doubt, mix grease and loctite on a little pallet and apply with a small spatula to get the right consistency. I go for the “ice cream that’s been left on the counter for 20 minutes” sloppy.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Had an awful creaking from the back half of the 29er last time I rode it. Tightened the seat post clamp; no change. Tightened the seat clamp; no change. Checked the frame for cracks; all good. I figured I'd have to spend a day going over every inch of it to try and sort this bloody creak out, including a full tear-down and pivot re-grease. Begin proceedings by removing the real wheel - oh, look at that. The axle is barely finger-tight. I think I found the source of the creak!

safreek

Had an awful creaking from the back half of the 29er last time I rode it. Tightened the seat post clamp; no change. Tightened the seat clamp; no change. Checked the frame for cracks; all good. I figured I'd have to spend a day going over every inch of it to try and sort this bloody creak out, including a full tear-down and pivot re-grease. Begin proceedings by removing the real wheel - oh, look at that. The axle is barely finger-tight. I think I found the source of the creak!
1)29r,
2)old man
Think I have found the source of the creak

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Was supposed to be doing a road ride today over the Grampians for lunch with a mate so I thought I'd better dust off the road bike and charge the di2.

I fire up the PC and the Shimano di2 program and figure I'll see if there's any updates for it since I haven't looked in about 3 years. Sure enough, everything's got a firmware update so I press the button and off it goes.

Only, half way through doing the junction box it fails/disconnects and bricks the junction box. Now I've got a bike that no longer shifts and nothing I've tried has resurrected the junction box.

So, fuck di2 and I still wish I'd gone for the traditional cable setup. Sigh.
Unplug the battery then reconnect

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
That got me too. Thought it was the PF bottom bracket

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unplug the battery then reconnect
Tried that too. Had another go today but it's the only thing that won't register when it's looking for controllers. Everything else pops up, even though they all talk through said junction box. New one is on the way so I'll see if I can reprogram it through the new junction box, who knows.

brawlo

Squid
I think this belongs here.

Ordered my Pole Taival frame a while ago now. Missed out on the first frame batch so had to wait for the second batch......so it's been a while. So once I pulled the trigger on the frame I started picking up the bits. I ordered a DVO Diamond fork for it. Now somewhere in between there and getting the wheel bits, I changed my mind to go to boost axle spacing, and somewhere in there my mind told me that the fork was actually boost too......it wasn't. So I've finally got my frame in hand and ready to start assembling and pull the fork out.......not boost. Fuckwit! Going to stick with boost so brand new DVO Diamond 29er 150mm 100mm axle coming up for sale

Warp

Likes Dirt

Ordered my Pole Taival frame a while ago now. Missed out on the first frame batch so had to wait for the second batch......so it's been a while. So once I pulled the trigger on the frame I started picking up the bits. I ordered a DVO Diamond fork for it. Now somewhere in between there and getting the wheel bits, I changed my mind to go to boost axle spacing, and somewhere in there my mind told me that the fork was actually boost too......it wasn't. So I've finally got my frame in hand and ready to start assembling and pull the fork out.......not boost. Fuckwit! Going to stick with boost so brand new DVO Diamond 29er 150mm 100mm axle coming up for sale
This happened to a friend of mine... Ordered Crank Bros (first fuckwittance) wheels for his '14 Trance. They are Boost for his non boost everything. (2nd Fuckwittance).

Minlak

custom titis

Sooo can they be dropped to 130mm easily :)

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve got 2.
Today I got new calipers. All installed and bled, go to put a couple more drops in the lever, tighten the little cap up and it doesn’t tighten. Undo it and metal pieces fall out. Turns out I had cross threaded then stripped the reservoir but not the screw. Soooooooooooooo annoyed and threw that 2.5mm Allen key at the ground so hard. So frustrating after hard day at work. I think still holds in so i don’t think it will matter.

5 years ago I was riding my brand new bike and the shock mount screw fell out. I tightened it up with an Allen key but rather than take it to the shop I borrowed a torque wrench from work, rushed home at lunch to quickly do it up, so I could return the tool ASAP. Half a turn and instantly stripped the screw. The wrench was feet pounds not inch pounds.