Confessions from the fuckwits

moorey

call me Mia
I've been on the hunt for the right set of SH hubs to replace the king earles on my bottlerocket. Rear was slipping when I bought it, pulled it apart, it's beyond repair. Had been using a spare set, but was keen to build up original rims with replacement hubs*

*you may have seen my wanted ads and sig, seeking 36 spoke hubs/shagged wheels with good hubs.

Anyhoooo, got some nice red hope pro 2 evos yesterday (thanks, rainbowofdeth, new front bearings and they'll be like bought ones). Had a few hours spare this arvo while kids played, so I made a start on the wheel unbuild/rebuild. Dismantled old wheel...Started relacing the hopes onto the rims.....

.....I swear that I counted the spokes when I first got the bike...I guess I don't count good.:noidea:

So... Now I have no money for new 36 spoke rims, and a set of sweet 36 hole hubs....

Ive made a few bike fuck ups in my time, but this has to be the most embarrassment and cringeworthy.

Eat a dick, me.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Eat a big bag of them. Extra juicy ones. I'd go on, but I may possibly have a fuckwit's confession of my own..

Had a few items from crc lying around that I pulled together to send back for refund - goggle lenses (ordered wrong shape), shorts (ordered wrong size), front derailleur(got it so wrong it may aswell have been snowboard bindings).. Total spend $89 inc. postage. Cost of returning $41. So I'll end up with $48 for returning $79 worth of stuff. Really impressed myself.
*Edit* Oh, and I also went down to the LBS and paid $70 odd for the correct front derailleur in the meantime.. (incase you weren't already convinced that I am, indeed, a fuckwit).

moorey

call me Mia
You sound like a guy who wants to buy a set of 36 hole hubs and 32 hole rims... Pm me.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
That's alright.
Once I walked straight through the fly screen on our sliding door and ripped the whole bloody thing off the door in the process (imagine the king of all spider web faces whilst tripping over).
I spent over an hour putting the bastard back in. Slowly kneading the bead back into the groove in the frame inch by inch with a plastic spoon.

When I was finished, I went and chucked the spoon in the bin straight away, turned around and walked straight back through it again. Ripping the whole thing down in the process.

Utter fuckwittery.

Last edited:

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Ok you fuckwit.
I busted a chain, probably a couple of times, on my road steed. Let's put those first couple of breaks down to awesome power (or poor gear selection). The last one, that has seen me off the bike for about 2 months, right before the cappy and the mont, rooting my training, was because I was a fuckwit and reused chain pins. What a tightwad fuckwit! *hangs head in shame*
Edit: I could well be a major contributor to this thread, behind moorey of course

Last edited:

finksta

Likes Dirt
Here I was thinking I was the only one to do something like that. Smashed a rim about 18 months ago, found some flows on sale, thought I'll have one of those. Took the fucked wheel and new rim to lbs to have them rebuild it, got a phone call an hour or so later to tell me it ain't gonna happen. Seems I'm also a fuck wit who can't count, still have the brand new rim sitting in the shed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
found some fundamental rims on sale in a rush of excitment brought them, built them and then went to put tyres on and oh........24" rim :frusty:

also my recent debarcles with setting up saint gear, funny how a 2nd new cable and casing and a 1pc casing rather than 3pcs make all the problems magically go away somehow!

moorey

call me Mia
found some fundamental rims on sale in a rush of excitment brought them, built them and then went to put tyres on and oh........24" rim :frusty:

also my recent debarcles with setting up saint gear, funny how a 2nd new cable and casing and a 1pc casing rather than 3pcs make all the problems magically go away somehow!
Ok, that first one is tough to beat. Sourcing spokes and all, and didn't pick it up? You, sir, are a royal fuck wit. I tip my hat :lol:

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, that first one is tough to beat. Sourcing spokes and all, and didn't pick it up? You, sir, are a royal fuck wit. I tip my hat :lol:
yeh i tok em out the box went sick straight down the lbs same day and them got em back went SICK went to put the tyres on NOT SICK!

ChopSticks

Banned
cant beat the 24' rim fuck up

but my most embarrassing one was not remembering the whole shimano/sram pull ratio difference.....

thought I snagged an awesome deal on a new x9 mech for the missus Trance along with a set of XT shifters...... also spent $$ on brand new inner and outter cables too

installed everything, cut cables, mech and shifters, tightened every bolt and proceeded to tune mech....and for 2 hours i couldnt get it to work...then the 10000W light bulb Flick on and i felt like a complete idiot

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's alright.
Once I walked straight through the fly screen on our sliding door and ripped the whole bloody thing off the door in the process (imagine the king of all spider web faces whilst tripping over).
I spent over an hour putting the bastard back in. Slowly kneading the bead back into the groove in the frame inch by inch with a plastic spoon.

When I was finished, I went and chucked the spoon in the bin straight away, turned around and walked straight through it again. Ripping the whole thing down in the process.

Utter fuckwittery.
Made my day!

John U

MTB Precision
Blowing an around $200 bulb on a Nite Rider HID lightset experimenting with what happens when running these lights while not riding. Pretty obvious what would happen.

Fuck lights used to be fuckin' expensive.

Trying to clean the seals of a set of Fox Forks without taking the lowers off. The manual gave some pretty detailed figures of how to do it but didn't mention taking the lowers off. Ended up scratching the stantions (lightly) but was well fucked off as I did it in the process of trying to look after the forks.

moorey

call me Mia
Trying to clean the seals of a set of Fox Forks without taking the lowers off. The manual gave some pretty detailed figures of how to do it but didn't mention taking the lowers off. Ended up scratching the stantions (lightly) but was well fucked off as I did it in the process of trying to look after the forks.
I was a bees dick from doing this in a lazy moment the other day. Very rare occasion for me when good sense over ruled my ambivalence.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Ha ha this thread is making me feel so much better I'll chip in again. A buddy gave me an old hardtail with Marzochi forks. I put those forks on a new build, trying to make a nice light road trainer. I was under 10 pretty cheap and closing in on 9. Because I was running discs I didn't need the mounts for the v-brakes so took them off and thought nothing more about it. Took the bike into work to do a couple of things and showing off my handy work while I threw it on scales. Under 9 kg, matey very impressed but what was that oil comin out of the forks? The v-brake mounts actually hold those forks together and while I'm just starting to figure out the gravity of the situation I can see the forks starting to come apart before my very eyes. I hurriedly open the valves on either side avoiding killing someone but not before getting a nice spray on my clean office getup, much to amusement of work matey.

moorey

call me Mia
Under 8.5 without the oil?:noidea:
Thats gold.
Ok, time to change thread title, seeing it's not just me doing these things.

I just did a deal on a frame. Couldn't find the specs on the year model, so looked at the identical looking next years model. Yep, 30.9 seat tube, current dropper will bang straight in. Score.
Nope... It's actually 27.2:tape: