Confessions from the fuckwits

moorey

call me Mia
I saw this on the Facebook group and wondered how you go seven years without replacing an outer or noticing before it got to this point.
That rubbing for 7 years would surely even wear right through the steel cable :oops:
On a duallie…which it appears to me…that must have wreaked havoc on his shifting as the suspension compresses…

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I saw this on the Facebook group and wondered how you go seven years without replacing an outer or noticing before it got to this point.
Same haha... "I'm the second owner" and you never inspected the bike at purchase, never changed a cable, never noticed that the suspension was shit because the gear cable was restricting linkage movement? Fuckwit.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I wonder if the incessant squeaking on the last few rides had anything to do with the hollowtech bolts not being done up?? :oops:

They were so loose I’m surprised they didn’t just rattle out on the trails. At least that plastic tab kept them from falling off completely.

• Wow
Reactions: PJO

moorey

call me Mia
I wonder if the incessant squeaking on the last few rides had anything to do with the hollowtech bolts not being done up?? :oops:

They were so loose I’m surprised they didn’t just rattle out on the trails. At least that plastic tab kept them from falling off completely.
Can’t have both been loose, or you’d have spun them on the spindle and munted the splines in your crank :oops:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Can’t have both been loose, or you’d have spun them on the spindle and munted the splines in your crank :oops:
One was so loose the head was sticking out and wobbled to touch. The other in more but still zero tension on it.

Didn’t think about the potential for it to spin on the spindle, but it must have been close.

moorey

call me Mia
One was so loose the head was sticking out and wobbled to touch. The other in more but still zero tension on it.

Didn’t think about the potential for it to spin on the spindle, but it must have been close.
Seen a few ruined that way. Albeit more like landing a jump than spinning, but count your blessings.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I have no idea what was going on last time I setup this bike. One of the bb cups was a turn out, and even worse was the b limit screw turned all the way in (have never seen a jockey wheel so far from a cassette) and both limit screws were a fair way off too. No idea how the thing was shifting gears at all.

I guess to answer my own question, was putting the drivetrain back together with my 3 year old keeping me company. Installed the bb 3 times before I eventually remembered to put a spacer where it belonged and must have taken me 40 minutes to do a simple gear adjustment and get the thing shifting nicely.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Been all over the bike and the only other things wrong were the derailleur loose on the hangar and the clutch not switched on.

Really scared to ride it now after bearing witness to how shoddy my mechanical work can be at times.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Non-bike and very minor CotFW...

All day yesterday I felt quite warm, but the weather's on the swing toward the hotter months and I'm not in an air-conditioned office at the moment so figure I probably just haven't acclimatised yet.

To work I normally wear 1x singlet, 1x cotton T-shirt, and one polyester (uniform) polo shirt. (yes, I also wear pants, etc... @Minlak)

Late in the evening I start getting undressed ready for bed.

Take polo shirt off, take t-shirt off, - wait a sec -, why am I still wearing a T-shirt? (Suddenly feeling that "Your brain has experienced an unexpected error" freeze...). Well, I managed to 'restore the program' and take off the second T-shirt I'd apparently been wearing all day and my singlet before jumping into bed.

D'oh. :oops:

Last edited:

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went to shorten the brake lines to complete the build on my new bike and the barb sits behind the olive with Hayes dominions. So I needed to hold the hose in place when tightening the compression fitting. Which I didn't. So as I snugged it up the hose came out.

Finding it difficult to source the required olive without paying $40 for 10 posted from dirt jerks.

Gutted, I guess I'll cough up for quick local delivery but $15 postage for an envelope seems excessive.

Sent from my AC2001 using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Went to shorten the brake lines to complete the build on my new bike and the barb sits behind the olive with Hayes dominions. So I needed to hold the hose in place when tightening the compression fitting. Which I didn't. So as I snugged it up the hose came out.

Finding it difficult to source the required olive without paying $40 for 10 posted from dirt jerks.

Gutted, I guess I'll cough up for quick local delivery but $15 postage for an envelope seems excessive.

Sent from my AC2001 using Tapatalk
I have some extras. Want me to send you a couple?