Confessions from the fuckwits

moorey

call me Mia
Another crafty confession.
Finished the build. Changing is sweet. It’s really noisy, particularly under load.
Checked the usual suspects, including the derailleur routing, nope. I know there’s going to be a bit more noise than a standard drivetrain with the idler, and the tension on the lower guide, but I’m anal about drivetrain noise, and not sure I can handle this.
I’d been talking to @beeb about the bike earlier, as he’s test ridden one, and I was keen to hear about noise (hadn’t heard back in 30 minutes. Rude).
Messaged @Zac Hinton for advice and feedback on how it was for him. Wasn’t noticeable noisy for him.
Suggested:
-Check chainline.
-Try the old idler in case new one is noisy

Chainline is sweet. I’d been careful to align well, in line with idler also, and bottom guide spaced in line. All sweet.

I’ll try old idler….pull off the new one…can see visible wear of anodising after a short test ride. Inspect it more closely….

Didn’t notice it’s got NW teeth when I fitted the chain. I had 50/50 chance of getting it right. I fucked up.

Bang chain on right teeth. Boom. Not whisper quiet, not meant to be, but smooth and no grinding. Fuckwit.

Last edited:

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Young fella built a couple of jumps, one specifically for me ("an easy one Dad") not patronising at all. Said I had to hit it.
me - "OK Mate" throws on the work boots
son - "not putting on MTB shoes? Don't want to slip a pedal?"
me - "nar she'll be right"
son - "helmet"
me - "all good just one jump, doesn't look that bad"
Run up, case badly
son - "come on Dad send it"
Ride in again - slip pedal, OTB, hurt shoulder - lucky I didn't hit my head

son - furious laughter "I told you you should use your shoes and wear a helmet"

I'll be hearing about this for a while. FYI shoulder is sore, will recover in a couple of days, now my pride.....

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Bought a second hand road bike on the weekend. Came with some crappy Wellgo resin pedals. Decided to install my SPD clipless pedals. The previous owner had used some sort of 500kg industrial press to tighten them up though. Manager to get one off with aton of elbow grease, the second was impossible... Rigged up some crude Allen key extension, wd40, heated the bolt, nothing... Tried a different position with my hands. Gave it a huge pull and it came loose, but I didn't think ahead beforehand... My hand was aiming straight at the circular saw chain ring... Whack.. pain..blood... swearing.. Ah well least I got the fucking thing off...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Bought a second hand road bike on the weekend. Came with some crappy Wellgo resin pedals. Decided to install my SPD clipless pedals. The previous owner had used some sort of 500kg industrial press to tighten them up though. Manager to get one off with aton of elbow grease, the second was impossible... Rigged up some crude Allen key extension, wd40, heated the bolt, nothing... Tried a different position with my hands. Gave it a huge pull and it came loose, but I didn't think ahead beforehand... My hand was aiming straight at the circular saw chain ring... Whack.. pain..blood... swearing.. Ah well least I got the fucking thing off...
If we are all being honest this doesn't belong here.

moorey

call me Mia
3rd Craftworks confession:

Yesterdays maiden ride was excellent, but I didn't use more than 3/4 of the travel, so I dropped 30psi and went for a hot lap. Felt it bobbing a bit more, so flicked the compression lever on the climb for the first time. Seemed to help a bit.
Rip the descent, so confidence inspiring on the rough stuff, but didn't notice any softer ride than yesterday, but still feels fantastic. Not keen on dropping any more air at this point though.

What's this.....left the compression lever on for the long descent. Sigh, better ride it again tomorrow.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
3rd Craftworks confession:

Yesterdays maiden ride was excellent, but I didn't use more than 3/4 of the travel, so I dropped 30psi and went for a hot lap. Felt it bobbing a bit more, so flicked the compression lever on the climb for the first time. Seemed to help a bit.
Rip the descent, so confidence inspiring on the rough stuff, but didn't notice any softer ride than yesterday, but still feels fantastic. Not keen on dropping any more air at this point though.

What's this.....left the compression lever on for the long descent. Sigh, better ride it again tomorrow.
This is why I don't use my climb lever.

I can't be trusted.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I’ve actually thought about it. I’ve got a leg 10mm shorter than the other which gives my body all sorts of hell. Can’t walk more than a 500m with out pain but can pedal all day long. I do get right hip flexors from riding hard though.
So no idea if it would help or not but it has crossed my mind.
Not something I’d ever bother with unless the different length cranks fell in my lap though.
@Jpez
This isn't really a FW post, but it's Rotorburn, so being on topic isn't always the highest priority
Anyways...
I was looking at the thread about shorter cranks, and your post popped up in the search.
I have NFI if you've sorted your crank length thing, but before doing something severe like having different length cranks, you might want to consider having a shim under your cleat to help with the leg length difference, or, if you ride flats, maybe put an extra insert into your shoe (which may or may not help). I know that the steve hogg bike fitting website sells shims for MTB clipless pedals

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Jpez
This isn't really a FW post, but it's Rotorburn, so being on topic isn't always the highest priority
Anyways...
I was looking at the thread about shorter cranks, and your post popped up in the search.
I have NFI if you've sorted your crank length thing, but before doing something severe like having different length cranks, you might want to consider having a shim under your cleat to help with the leg length difference, or, if you ride flats, maybe put an extra insert into your shoe (which may or may not help). I know that the steve hogg bike fitting website sells shims for MTB clipless pedals
Thanks mate. I have tried orthopaedic heel shims in day to day life. Made it worse. Then with the bike(flats) I jammed an extra sole in the shoe. Felt weird so pulled it out. At the end of the day the thing that fixed it was just getting fitter!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Not mtb related but it's still a confession and I still feel like a FW...Today I lost my rag at one of the local Boomers.

For the past 8 weeks the local oval has been getting a pretty good workout and seen a healthy amount of foot traffic, a fair portion of said walking has been accompanied by much tut-tutting head shacking and photography of all the local kids playing in the park, they all then get on the toxic swamp that is the local FB group and have a good ol' whinge about the Police not coming down when they send their pics in of the kids not social distancing, touching the same ball, playing bullrush, riding bikes, walking dogs etc.

I have never let it bother me before, if they want to be miserable old fuckers they can go knock themselves out, everyone's in this together and we all need to cut each other some slack...until today.

Started out ok, got the kids settled into their school work and the better half was in a important meeting so thought I'd duck out and grab a quick coffee for us, walk past one of the cafes and I shit you not there would've been 14-18 of the grey haired nomad clan all loitering outside cups in hand and not a mask to be seen, whatever, I move on as the coffee there is as weak as dishwater, walking back 15 mins later same group have moved an inch.

Fast forward about 6 hours and I have the kids in the oval after finishing schoolwork and being cooped up all day, Mr 10 is playing bullrush and Miss 8 has just finished her *first job and rolling down the hill from the attached tennis courts towards the park and I'm just chucking a handball against a wall amusing myself when I hear some raised voices, not overly aggressive but not a friendly tone. One of the girls come down a bit upset saying they have to go, they then see the dog they just walked so rush down for a pat, now I heard what was said so decided to walk up and have a chat and lo and behold it's one of the guys I had seen on this mornings coffee run, playing tennis with 2 other couples. When I ask him why he told the girls to "bugger off, you're making a racket, I can't concentrate" he flat out denies he said it, when I explain I heard someone say it and ask who he changes tack and starts going on about 3 girls obviously from different households being together blah blah blah...

I can't control it any more and fire of a pretty good expletive rich rant about what he's currently doing, was doing that morning and on most afternoons on his walk, I'm meet with silence so I march pack down the hill stating that if I see him or one of their wrinkly arse mates taking photos of any kids again I'll smash their fucking phone into a thousand pieces and I'll be the one calling the Police complaining about pedos stalking children. The dog (and owner) make their way home and the girls go back to the hill for some more rolling action oblivious to the interaction that just happened and I throw the ball against the wall with a bit more vigour.

Man, it felt good unwinding on one of these entitled hypocrites but I'm now filled with remorse because I've fallen to this pillocks level when I could have dealt with it in a much more grown up manner...ah well, let's see what tomorrows park adventure brings.

* her and 5 friends have set up a dog walking business- $2/dog for 1/2 hour- not sure how profitable this is going to be...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Not mtb related but it's still a confession and I still feel like a FW...Today I lost my rag at one of the local Boomers.

For the past 8 weeks the local oval has been getting a pretty good workout and seen a healthy amount of foot traffic, a fair portion of said walking has been accompanied by much tut-tutting head shacking and photography of all the local kids playing in the park, they all then get on the toxic swamp that is the local FB group and have a good ol' whinge about the Police not coming down when they send their pics in of the kids not social distancing, touching the same ball, playing bullrush, riding bikes, walking dogs etc.

I have never let it bother me before, if they want to be miserable old fuckers they can go knock themselves out, everyone's in this together and we all need to cut each other some slack...until today.

Started out ok, got the kids settled into their school work and the better half was in a important meeting so thought I'd duck out and grab a quick coffee for us, walk past one of the cafes and I shit you not there would've been 14-18 of the grey haired nomad clan all loitering outside cups in hand and not a mask to be seen, whatever, I move on as the coffee there is as weak as dishwater, walking back 15 mins later same group have moved an inch.

Fast forward about 6 hours and I have the kids in the oval after finishing schoolwork and being cooped up all day, Mr 10 is playing bullrush and Miss 8 has just finished her *first job and rolling down the hill from the attached tennis courts towards the park and I'm just chucking a handball against a wall amusing myself when I hear some raised voices, not overly aggressive but not a friendly tone. One of the girls come down a bit upset saying they have to go, they then see the dog they just walked so rush down for a pat, now I heard what was said so decided to walk up and have a chat and lo and behold it's one of the guys I had seen on this mornings coffee run, playing tennis with 2 other couples. When I ask him why he told the girls to "bugger off, you're making a racket, I can't concentrate" he flat out denies he said it, when I explain I heard someone say it and ask who he changes tack and starts going on about 3 girls obviously from different households being together blah blah blah...

I can't control it any more and fire of a pretty good expletive rich rant about what he's currently doing, was doing that morning and on most afternoons on his walk, I'm meet with silence so I march pack down the hill stating that if I see him or one of their wrinkly arse mates taking photos of any kids again I'll smash their fucking phone into a thousand pieces and I'll be the one calling the Police complaining about pedos stalking children. The dog (and owner) make their way home and the girls go back to the hill for some more rolling action oblivious to the interaction that just happened and I throw the ball against the wall with a bit more vigour.

Man, it felt good unwinding on one of these entitled hypocrites but I'm now filled with remorse because I've fallen to this pillocks level when I could have dealt with it in a much more grown up manner...ah well, let's see what tomorrows park adventure brings.

* her and 5 friends have set up a dog walking business- $2/dog for 1/2 hour- not sure how profitable this is going to be...
Yes, you could have been a bit more grown up, but I bet there is hundreds of others, myself included, who would've unleashed on that self entitled cocksnap. He's playing tennis in a public park FFS

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Time to start boosting the girls profits by purchasing the dog poo off them and delivering it to your new friend. They are an arsehole. You did good.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get the dogs to steal the tennis balls and watch the geriatrics run after the dogs.
One of the few benefits of lockdown is that golf courses become massive open range dog parks.

Last lockdown I was walking mine when he spotted a bloke having a few illicit swings. Swooped in from 50 yards away and snatched the ball out from under his feet. Never seen a dog look so pleased with itself, as he was chased around chomping on the golf ball for the next 10 mins.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

I understand why you feel a bit bad for blowing up, but fuck those old pricks taking photo’s of kids in a park.

Fuck
Those
Guys