Confessions from the fuckwits

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
This could go in a few places. Clearly the reason why I am a mechanical engineer...

So I have a pair of AM/FM/Bluetooth headphones I use when I am mowing or working on the machine tools in the shed or other noisy shit where they don't get in the way. After doing $40 worth of mowing on the weekend I checked and the rechargeable battery was down to about 1 bar out of 4 so time for a recharge. Rummaged through the cables box and grabbed the USB to charger socket that I thought it was and plugged it in. Nothing showing on the battery icon which usually flashes up to show charging. Hmmm. Have another look and oops wrong cable, the charging cable is USB to 3.5mm (really 1/8") microphone plug. Couldn't find the right cable. Discovered #1 took it by accident and as he is away for the next 3 months on a work site in another state or so no charging cable in the foreseeable future. OK various places have similar cables but they are generic style with multiple outlets and cost about 1/3 of a new set of headphones. So I bought another set of headphones since you cannot have too many. Plugged the charging cable into the old headphones and still nothing. Weird. Tried to switch them on and nothing, ok battery is fully flat. Charge up the new headphones and then swap the battery into the old headphones. Still nothing. Ok time to get out the knives and hammers.

Opened up the headphones and looked at the charging socket and it looks like maybe I bent the innards a bit. Checked across the terminals and sure enough + and - are now one and the same circuit. Checked on line and I can get the same 3.5mm socket to replace the munted one. Out with the oxy torch and off comes the socket. Checked the circuit again and sure enough still shorted out. Looked for burned components on the circuit board but nothing obvious. Desoldered the power cable from the battery and checked that, all good. On the circuit board all the charging socket terminals were common and shorted out. With the socket now off the board I fitted the charging plug and it seemed ok and the short circuit disappeared and the output was good. Now resigned at this point that there is something burnt out on the circuit board from my ham fisted attempt at charging. Checked the resistance between the + and - on the circuit board with battery cables and charging plug removed and now ok. Huh? Resoldered the battery fly leads and the thing fires up on battery and works perfectly. Drilled out the old solder in the board that the vacuum sucky thing didn't get, replaced the charging socket and soldered it in.

Fucking things work. Properly. I didn't actually do anything.
I thought this was going to end with.... it wasn’t switched on at the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
No I never have .
If its to put in the 42 T just leave it loose and the 16T where you take out the 15 and 17 T the rest may hang together ?
It doesnt matter provided they are assembled correctly and then the lock ring is tight .

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
In case we then have a thread in fuckwits about you attending Cairns Hospital A+E , I recommend a small 4 inch grinder or battery powered one with a half used small disc.
i gather you wouldnt call yourself HamboCairns if you lived in Tassie?

Flow-Rider

Burner
You can drill the rivet ends off, only problem with a loose 1st cog is that it will dig into the free hub splines unless you have a steel one.