Confessions from the fuckwits

Staunch

Eats Squid
My worst would be ordering the wrong hub because I was too lazy to get out of bed.

Short version of the story is my mate had left his wheels at my house so he called me from his work at 8AM (on a Saturday) while he was ordering a new front hub. He asked me how many holes do the rims have and having been just woken up I mumbled something about 32.
I thought this was a smart assumption seeing as I have the same rims in 32 and really, who has 36 hole rims these days anyway?
After him asking about 4 times 'are you sure?' and me replying with 'yeaurgh' half asleep, he went ahead with the order.
When I woke up later and had a look at the wheels I felt retarded. They had literally been about 4 metres away and I just couldn't be bothered to get up and double check.

In the end I bought the hub off him because I felt bad for the fuck up and it just ended up sitting in my shed for over 2 years.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Also, honourable mentions go to the times where I:

- put part of my linkage on backwards in a sleep deprived state and then rode for half a day before realizing.
- tried to roll down what I thought was a steep bank onto a fireroad and instead turned out to be a straight drop so I landed flat on my face and gave myself a nice scar I still have down my forearm.
- packed my rear hub with grease being new to MTB and thinking it would help where instead it caused it to slip a fuckton and wear out.

I'm sure I'll remember more shit to add to this thread in the future, I've made so many mistakes learning how to service all the components of my bikes over the years.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
first street bike i got rode for 3 years on fully stock setup from yr 7 to 9, back when i was a prolific rookie at maintanance i didn't lube the chain, hmm EVER and when it snapped on a school trip i was utterly confused as to why

also same bike, first and last experience with kmart tyres words cannot describe the monumentally fucking up of the tyre, kmart tyres are no good for anything!

249109_131961456878147_6995327_n.jpg

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say you're doing a bang up job now tha master Theodore appears to have matured.
just to ad guys, despite what most of you think i am acctually quite good bike mech, its just some blindly obvious things i cant seem some days

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
much like harmonix's story, i was a repeat offender. i have a few frames and wheels hanging upside down in my garage from the roof (check out my garage sale for pics, not even advertising). the frames are now angled so if you push on the head tubes, they stop immediately as the rear triangle rests on the roof.

i work on my bike just a metre to the side of this hanging rail. The head tubes of the hanging bikes are at perfect eye level. So just the other morning, i stood up from my working chair, took one left step and walked right into on of these head tubes. a headset edge to the open eye. i decided to say every swear word possible, as one. so after i had done my pain relieving cursing, i stood back up, same direction, just ducked with my hands over my eyes. and boom, there the head tube was again, to the forehead.

I was surely awake after these knocks to the noggin

Big JD

Wheel size expert
i once brought a Ritchey frame and fork because it was my dream bike. It was a size 16 frame and I am 6.4 tall.

I built it up and sat for hours looking at it - then sold it to a mate 3 days later.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had some great moments of fuckwittery, had a couple the other week while building a new rig. I knew in my head that everything from my old rig should fit onto the new frame I'd bought. So I get to building, and the very first thing I go to put on it after the headset, the forks. Slide the stem on top and take a look.. steerer is a few mm too short.. Fark ! I distinctly remember smugly thinking to myself when I bought the frame, I don't need to measure the steerer, I know it'll fit. Wrong! So off I went to order a new set of forks.

Forks arrive a week or so later, so I get to building again. I had trouble threading in the BB during the week, but managed to get it in eventually. Had to take it off again though to install a BB mount chain guide. Went to install it again and the right side just refused to go in! I thought WTF is going on here, checked and rechecked the threads on the cup and on the frame, all looks fine. After about an hour of much cursing a light bulb goes off. The cup threads in anticlockwise. Bloody hell you're a fuckwit...

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Are you sure the front hub needs new bearings? They were smooth when I last ran it. It could just be the 20 adapter that feels rough on it, it always did when it wasn't in a set of forks. Just crack open the side of bearings give 'em a clean and re-grease and they'll be fine anyway :)

Bad luck on the wrong spoke holes also :(

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Are you sure the front hub needs new bearings? They were smooth when I last ran it. It could just be the 20 adapter that feels rough on it, it always did when it wasn't in a set of forks. Just crack open the side of bearings give 'em a clean and re-grease and they'll be fine anyway :)

Bad luck on the wrong spoke holes also :(
Feel rough out of the fork, I'll try bolted up, and see how it feels. Maybe a bit of side loading might help. All good either way mate. Hubs look great,....just wish you hadn't drilled those 4 extra holes in them :noidea:
Enough of that, Luke. Share some fuckery.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
1. Building wheels for eldest daughter. Scored some tacoed wheels from our work fleet bikes and spoked them to some nice light rim brake Mavics I had laying around. I'd stopped using them ages ago as the side walls had distinct wear, but figured they'd be fine for disc wheels. Finished the build, pretty sweet if I do say so myself. Put tyres on and inflated; side wall fractures. Fuckwit! should have checked them better.

2. Problem is compounded by using gasket seal rather than blue Locktite 'cos I ran out and had no money. Will have to find a solvent or cut the spokes. Fuckwit!