Confessions from the fuckwits

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm not sure if this is a confessio or not, but I am now in the garage servicing my rear xt brake on the nuke proof. I bled it a few days ago and put in new pads. It has been fine for the last couple of days to/from. I adjusted the levers on the bike today for smaller hands. All afternoon the brakes were good. This evening I went for a pedal and stopped for a coffee or three. While riding around I had no brake...none. I was very confused, surely I bled the brakes better than this? Why didn't the kid die this afternoon? Did he ride like that (plenty of send was sent) with no back brake? So up on the stand it goes and I discover an issue I have not had before.

The bolt securing the banjo to the calliper is loose and has passed out pretty all of my luscious oil onto the frame. Fortunately the pads and rotor appear to have avoided contaminations. Time for a bleed and you bet I'm checking this bolt on the fleet.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck that's a crispy bleed! Off to rip some skids and test out that banjo.

View attachment 408645

And today I picked up a contaminat on the rotor while ridong around. I'll be busting out the brake cleaner tonight when I get home.

Can you spray that stuff (brake cleaner in a can from an auto shop) on the pads? No worries if not, I am familiar with the dishwashing technique and the BBQ flambe method.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
And today I picked up a contaminat on the rotor while ridong around. I'll be busting out the brake cleaner tonight when I get home.

Can you spray that stuff (brake cleaner in a can from an auto shop) on the pads? No worries if not, I am familiar with the dishwashing technique and the BBQ flambe method.
Yes, however if by spraying you cause the grease or contaminant to migrate to the pad without a valid visa then no.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

Take the wheels off, spray the rotors and clean them. Take the pads out then either blow torch them or give them a spray/clean with brake cleaner... then use some fine(ish) sandpaper on a flat surface and scuff off the surface of the pads.

Give the calipers a good clean with brake cleaner when the pads are out.

Shimano 4 piston brakes ? I have found are very susceptible to contamination... cant put my finger on why but I have had issues with every set I own with occasional pad/disc contamination... which I have never had with any other set of brakes, ever. Also cant find any brake fluid residue coming from anywhere obvious on the caliper but originally though it may be spraying from the piston area onto the disc on hard braking.

Own 4 sets BTW, 3 x XT and 1 x Deore.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Take the wheels off, spray the rotors and clean them. Take the pads out then either blow torch them or give them a spray/clean with brake cleaner... then use some fine(ish) sandpaper on a flat surface and scuff off the surface of the pads.

Give the calipers a good clean with brake cleaner when the pads are out.

Shimano 4 piston brakes ? I have found are very susceptible to contamination... cant put my finger on why but I have had issues with every set I own with occasional pad/disc contamination... which I have never had with any other set of brakes, ever. Also cant find any brake fluid residue coming from anywhere obvious on the caliper but originally though it may be spraying from the piston area onto the disc on hard braking.

Own 4 sets BTW, 3 x XT and 1 x Deore.

Tried and true xtm8000 2 pistons. I've run these on all my bikes for many years (new bike not yet) and they are generally issue free...no idea how Frenchie keeps bending his (though I suspect the big air plays a part) or how people riding analogue need much more. That said I'm not punching massive alpine mega rides too often. But they have seen me through plenty of shuttle days and dh runs.

Cleaning suggestion is what I had planned, except the blow torch and the sandpaper. But I'll throw a little bit of sandy that in for good measure. I gave the calliper a good clean last night so I could see if there was any more leakage. Same for the rotors with the brake cleaner just in case. Gave the pads the ye olde morning fresh wash (saw it on you tube years ago on one of the UK bike tech channels) so it was all good and fresh this morning and braking nicely. But there was a bit of riding around Sydney to be done and it splotches something. Calliper still appears clean.

This does remind me that I have some hope something something in the garage somewhere. Probably with some saint cranks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Got the brake all cleaned up and stopping power has returned.

While I had the brake cleaner out I also cleaned my folding knife. All the sap and goo came off pretty easy. Now it looks ready to cut down some more lantana and get all gooey again.