Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not really. Partially it was an aesthetic decision based on what we’re doing here, but also I got a decent discount of RRP which made it notably cheaper than a GS3 or Slayer. I’m not massively into the nutty professor contraptions but obviously have to concede they’re more capable.
I've used the mini linea a cooked of times when the machine tech has had to come in during opening times. Its a nice little machine. I like the paddle. I haven't used the mini gs3 but I like the look of them. I used to work in a place with a big strada and liked the big heads and paddles. Owner of that place rips an awesome brew and has good taste in dogs (was a Welsh Terrier now an Airedale Terrier).

Ugh...snip
It was such a beautiful area.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Also just go all in and buy a kilo of Panama Geisha. There is no other bean and until you do you will not be satisfied.

I have a Breville something something a home. I can't remember the model, had this one for years now and the se before it. Important thing to remember at home is that most home machines run auch higher pressure pump than a commercial machine, so the extraction is quite different.

When I do fire it up, I'm dosing around 18 grams in the bigger basket that came with the machine. I grind fairly fine , but not the finest setting. This changes with the weather and beans a bit to keep my shots the way I like them.

Do yourself a favour and get a good tamp. The shit that came with the machine is useless.

And here's some latte art for warm fuzzies. #likeandsubscribe

View attachment 394616
You monster, get the poor bastard hooked on the crack cocaine of beans at $98 bucks a kilo while still learning.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You monster, get the poor bastard hooked on the crack cocaine of beans at $98 bucks a kilo while still learning.
Link please? I'll grab a few kilos at that price!

mark22

Likes Dirt
I've just picked up a Breville Barista Express and am trying to figure it all out (I know nothing about coffee).
What would be a good bean to start with to try and replicate a standard flat white from a cafe?
Been a bit of a journey myself with my Breville Barista Touch. My takeaway is they are not a commercial machine and following YT videos using such machines didn't give good results on these home machines.
Learning/watching a demo on your machine was what got it together for me. Scales help.
Beans geez tried heaps and from cafe's but in the end the best I found was Grinders, Rich Espresso. You can buy direct or from the supermarket like me, (I feel dirty saying that :rolleyes:) but it just works.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Ahh yeah, blind Freddie here.

250 grams for $97

Ackland

chats d'élevage

48g... to ensure that you can have... two coffees and an unusable amount left?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I had a Breville 900 or 9000 series with a separate grinder. Struggled to get decent and consistent coffees out of it. A friend of #1 owned a cafe and he offered to come over and set it up. Turns out the biggest issue was inconsistent grinds from the fairly cheap grinder I had. He brought one of his Mazzers and after playing with the settings and weighing everything was able to get good pulls. He played with the water temps and pressures and timings. I picked up a refurbished grinder through his contacts and since then have had no issues. I bought one of those adjustable trimmers/tampers and set that up so I could loose fill the portafilter and then have consistent tamping. I ran that machine for about 4 years before water leaks brought it undone. When I bought the ECM I went through the same process. This time the shot is manually controlled too so I measured shots by weight and then marked up a small jug and just run to that size. I keep a count going in my head to make sure it is working to the right sort of timing. The extra effort of measuring grind quantity and shot quantity makes a huge difference and keeps things ticking along nicely.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ahh yeah, blind Freddie here.

250 grams for $97

That's still a good price.

48g... to ensure that you can have... two coffees and an unusable amount left?
For me 48g would make a good number ml of cold brew. Though I don't know if this stuff would work well for that. Or a few cups in the French press. I still go for 1 spoon per cup and one for the pot as my recipe there.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Holy fuck, I've really jumped the shark this time.

Just signed up for the kickstarter for this. Youtube video here.
1683287554584.png

Was originally looking to get a DE1 and of course Google puts the much cheaper and more elegant meticulous in my path.

I'm also doubling down with a new Timemore 078S grinder. Just in case having a Compak A8 and Hario hand grinder just weren't deep enough down the rabbit hole.
1683287921587.png

Poods I might need some help.

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Just a plug for a local business & roaster, that has recently set-up shop near work -: https://www.instagram.com/mantaraycoffeeroasters/

I'm no coffee snob (my go to is Coles Organic instant coffee) & while I haven't ordered the beans myself, I have ordered the odd latte & according to my unsophistimicated taste buds, it's right up there with the nicest I've had.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

View attachment 399378

Was originally looking to get a DE1 and of course Google puts the much cheaper and more elegant meticulous in my path.

I'm also doubling down with a new Timemore 078S grinder. Just in case having a Compak A8 and Hario hand grinder just weren't deep enough down the rabbit hole.
View attachment 399379

You'll never need to leave the house again.

Calvin27

Eats Squid

View attachment 399378

View attachment 399379

Damn that looks sexy af. Worth it as long as it arrives and looks as pictured, doesn't even need to be able to make coffee lol.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Damn that looks sexy af. Worth it as long as it arrives and looks as pictured, doesn't even need to be able to make coffee lol.
Hehe, it does look good. The heating and plunging mechanism is very elegant and should make consistent excellent coffees a doodle.

The grinder is wild though. Apparently it had retention of 0.18 grams after 10kgs of beans. No more fines getting jammed in the collar adjustment like the A8.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Silvia Pro X is a nice looking thing.
Because I am a lazy fuck, my Silvia has been running for 8 years with only back flushing and pulling the brass thing and mesh bit out to clean. It's going off for a proper service as it's not pumping as well as it should, went good for a week after the last overdue flush but something is properly fucked now.

I got a Mazzer grinder a year or two ago, it's great, got a hot tip to make sure I clean it more than I have done with the machine ;)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Have you got the pressure profiling mod for it?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Going to get a feel for it before doing any mods. I've seen a few neat options, some people say just changing the gicleur (sp?) makes a big difference.