Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
It's been an essential item in my travel kit for years now but I'd say if you're going to get one, you really need to get a Rhinowares hand grinder to go with it. They're a match made in heaven!
An Aeropress is about the only coffee 'gadget' I should add to my arsenal.
I have:
  • SAB Nobel single group espresso machine
  • SAB Mignon burr grinder
  • Breville Smart burr grinder (for the wifes decaf or bulk grinding)
  • Bruer cold drip
  • Espro P6 coffee press
One of the guys at work also has a MoccaMaster thats always got a brew on too

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
An Aeropress is about the only coffee 'gadget' I should add to my arsenal.
I have:
  • SAB Nobel single group espresso machine
  • SAB Mignon burr grinder
  • Breville Smart burr grinder (for the wifes decaf or bulk grinding)
  • Bruer cold drip
  • Espro P6 coffee press
One of the guys at work also has a MoccaMaster thats always got a brew on too
Nice! been tempted to go down the cold drip road.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
One of last years lockdowns I perfected the moka to my satisfaction whist the espresso machine was busted.

Grind is hyper critical.

Boil the water before you put it in the Moka.

Adjust the heat so it gently boils so the brew gently emerges from the spout. If it’s a blue whale spout, you’re doing it wrong Fred.

As soon as it’s boiling and you get your shots worth, off the heat and pour cold water over the base to instantly stop the boil. Otherwise you’ve over heated the brew and it’s blah.

If buying, find a stainless version.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Why the end of the show? So much good material is coming in the books.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I think the 30yr time jump between books 6+7 were going to be too hard to overcome with the current cast and it probably wouldn’t work with recasting a la ‘The Crown‘ so they’re ending it at Book 6 but it sounds like they’re bringing one or two characters forward so it will end up being a fairly different story I hope
(not that the existing one is bad but it’s always nice to be surprised!)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
One of last years lockdowns I perfected the moka to my satisfaction whist the espresso machine was busted.

Grind is hyper critical.

Boil the water before you put it in the Moka.

Adjust the heat so it gently boils so the brew gently emerges from the spout. If it’s a blue whale spout, you’re doing it wrong Fred.

As soon as it’s boiling and you get your shots worth, off the heat and pour cold water over the base to instantly stop the boil. Otherwise you’ve over heated the brew and it’s blah.

If buying, find a stainless version.
Done most of that! Found a good youtube video on the brewing, experimenting tomorrow.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It’s where I learnt too.

First few cups I stuffed up badly, was like instant coffee made from used pod grinds.
James Hoffman did a piece on the moka and aeropress plus frothing appliances including the little boiler thing I have. His didn't have a pressure gauge and that seemed his only real criticism as he wasn't sure when it was about to blow. Someone in the comments said they heat until it makes a hissing noise then start frothing. Oh dear.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I have a Rancilio Silvia which is over ten years old, still works great but probably should get it serviced.

I just ordered a Mazzer Mini grinder, finally going to be grinding fresh instead of buying ground. We put that off for ages as my wife was drinking decaf but she's now back to the real stuff. We'd had a couple of cheaper grinders over the years but they never lasted too long, so held out for a good one.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Experimenting with the Moka today (forgot...).

Just made a flat white with my machine and weighed stuff. Next will be the James Hoffman recommended 18 - 20g of coffee to 65 - 70mL of brew. If successful then I will mark the pot with a 65mL ish level and take a container which equals 20g ish of grounds.