Choosing the correct saddle bum ouchy

kip01

Likes Dirt
Hey guys I'm starting to struggle with long rides, my tush is getting so sore after about an hour it hurts to sit down which ends up with me ending my ride short. Any recommendations on a good trail/enduro seat I understand everyone has a different size behind just thought I would ask if anyones had similar problem or do I just have a delicate ass. Not sure if the angle of the seat makes any difference?Originally I had the ride alpha seat then changed to wtb Silverado and that made no difference. Cheers

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Saddles with channels like the WTB Rocket V and SDG Bel Airs are comfortable for me.

The Selle Italia SMP are also great once adjusted correctly. I rarely get sore on that one at all.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Trial and error. Most of the time you won't know just sitting on them for a minute so you need to go for a solid ride to see how they feel. Some shops have testers that you can trial, might be worth a shot?

A lot of the sdg stuff agrees with me, but my comfiest seat is an unbranded thing I picked up in a clearance bin for $10. Some of the cheapo saddles at cycling deal don't feel too bad either, can't comment on long rides but test rides felt good.

...you wearing Knicks? Cos they'll make a difference

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
+1 on wearing Knicks, and a saddle with a cut out.

Plus seat shape is everything. I can tolerate a bit of a curve front to back, but I have to have saddle that's dead flat side to side.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
And yell out if you want to give a couple of mine a test run. I can only ride one bike at a time, so I can change saddles around as needed.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have no arse .
But , the Bontrager ' Evoke 2' is good - I think it became the 'Arvada '?
I have a Specialized 'Henge' similar styling to the Bontrager .
I usually ride with an insert in shorts - Fox / TLD .

Both these saddles are pretty flat with a low cutout in centre .

moorey

call me Mia
No one answer unfortunately...Do some ships still do tie saddle test/fitting?
I’ve tried many. The Fizik gobi/tundra suit me best, though many loath them. I never wear nicks....though sometimes regret it after really big/multiple days in the saddle.

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey , what was the saddle on the Jamis ? - WTB something - that was also Super Comfy .
Feck....not sure what model sorry. Can find out. Numerous mates swear by various WTB saddles.
After snapping the seat on first stage of GE nats at Maydena, I lent an injured mates Spank seat and it was fantastic for a really big day of riding. Just picked one up...haven’t fitted yet, can’t recall model. I’ll check later.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Feck....not sure what model sorry. Can find out. Numerous mates swear by various WTB saddles.
After snapping the seat on first stage of GE nats at Maydena, I lent an injured mates Spank seat and it was fantastic for a really big day of riding. Just picked one up...haven’t fitted yet, can’t recall model. I’ll check later.
Spoon?
I had one for a while that agreed with me. Can't for the life of me remember why I let it go.

Angle will also matter. Too far forward and all the pressure will be at the back of your arse and it could make you rest on the bars too much too. Too far back and it'll be squishing all the awkward bits.

Moving it back and forward could also have a (lesser) effect? I think I prefer it further back in relation to the pedals, seems to feel more relaxed that way.

moorey

call me Mia
I have to angle the nose down more than I used to, to prevent numb tackle. Puts more pressure on my arse, but lesser of 2 evils. Seems no to cause any other issues.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
A Liv saddle that came on my wife's new bike is actually the comfiest I've used. Hasn't made its way onto the new bike yet, but it's probably going to. Similar width and padding to my WTB and SDG saddles, just a little shorter in the nose which I kind of liked.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I go our on a limb and say those styles are the best for my 'flatnoarse'
The WTB Style eases you in and you end up on the Spank Style .

No pun intended .

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
the Google search engine is going to go into meltdown on this thread with words like "Spank" and "Spoon" being thrown around and then a big photo of Mooreys hairy bruised arse pops up!
For me, as a non-svelte unit, the angle of the dangle is crucial..gotta get the weight squarely on those sit bones.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Puts more pressure on my arse
That was funny the last time.
I think someone said they needed an unsee button.
Back to the topic .
I am lucky every seat feels comfortable to me except the ones on beginners bikes which are 2 feet wide .
everyone has a different opinion about seats because bottoms are different
things that help are I get off the seat alot when riding
the more you ride the tougher the tissues become
seat angle and bike fit are important
Definitely use lubricant creams before a ride
try different pants and chamois
I agree with planko that SDG seats with the dip like a saddle are very comfortable. I have them on touring mtbikes.

kip01

Likes Dirt
Ok cheers guys Il try my new ranger shorts with padding + adjust the seat and go from there. I had no problems with this wtb saddle two years ago doing epic only thing that has changed is the bike and the wheel size maybe Il go back to 26 must be the problem

Jpez

Down on the left!
I have a bony arse and don’t get along with a lot of saddles. So I ended buying a bunch of the usual recommended ones second hand until I found the ones I liked which is the Ergon sm3 or something and a WTB Pure. Bit more cushion in that one.
Also like the Charge Spoon but it creaks like a mofo and annoys me so don’t use it.

Oh yeah and I can’t ride too long without padded inners.