Choosing a decent bike for a growing 11yr old (151cm tall)

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all,

My son is 10 (will be 11 in May) and we've promised him a quality mountain bike in July if he reaches some specific milestones.

He currently rides a Merida Matts Jr 24 (24" wheel) with grip shift gears, cantilever brakes and a 60mm front fork (it's stiff as shit). He enjoys riding the trails with me and mainly does green and a few easy blues.

I want to buy him something (either new or used) that he can grow with for the next two or three years until he's 13/14, by which point his sister can inherit it!

The bike specs I'm trying avoid (but might not be able to) are -
  • HA greater than 67 degrees
  • Front derailleurs
  • Mechanical brakes
  • Full suspension
  • Anything with wheels built by ozzybmx ;)
  • 100/135 QR axles
  • Straight steerer
Where would you put your money?

PS. My budget is $750 - $1,000

Update: Increased budget and son's height.

Last edited:

PJO

in me vL comy
Biggest question is what is your budget?
You can get all that if you are willing to pay.

EDIT: this ticks all your boxes and is a cool bike just like his dads (might be in stock by july):

Petero

Likes Dirt
I'd be very keen on a San Quentin if you want 27.5 wheels - they also have a jnr 24" size if that will fit better.

Left field option - Dartmoor hornet 26er build your own - https://www.bikes-by-ascension.com/product-page/2020-hornet-26-frame

EDIT: the dartmoor 26 is actually a pretty big bike

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Biggest question is what is your budget?
You can get all that if you are willing to pay.

EDIT: this ticks all your boxes and is a cool bike just like his dads (might be in stock by july):
That bike's way too big for an 11yr old! The minimum height is 160cm!

nathanm

Eats Squid
I picked up an old but good condition 08 Giant Talon Dually for my step-son a few months back for $450 to get him off his hardtail.
It's a 15" small and does him perfectly fine, except for the front derailleur shifting. My only suggestion is go 1x and good hydro brakes. Also make sure the stem and bars are short enough.
I don't really think angles and wheels size etc really matters with younger kids as they don't ride anything like adults.

HamboCairns

I'd be very keen on a San Quentin if you want 27.5 wheels - they also have a jnr 24" size if that will fit better.

Left field option - Dartmoor hornet 26er build your own - https://www.bikes-by-ascension.com/product-page/2020-hornet-26-frame

EDIT: the dartmoor 26 is actually a pretty big bike
I'm not up for building a bike - I definitely want something ready to go!

If only some of you lived near me, I'd be up for learning!

HamboCairns

Should I care about having QR axles and straight steerers at this stage? As an adult I see them as strictly budget offerings and restricts any upgrades or changes (like my wife's bike!) but does this matter when they'll grow out of it relatively quickly?

PJO

in me vL comy
Should I care about having QR axles and straight steerers at this stage? As an adult I see them as strictly budget offerings and restricts any upgrades or changes (like my wife's bike!) but does this matter when they'll grow out of it relatively quickly?
No, it's not that big a deal.

That bike's way too big for an 11yr old! The minimum height is 160cm!
That is a suggested minimum, it really depends if your 11yr old can stand over it comfortably, but having said that it is way over your budget now that you have put it up.

HamboCairns

No, it's not that big a deal.

That is a suggested minimum, it really depends if your 11yr old can stand over it comfortably, but having said that it is way over your budget now that you have put it up.
Yeah sadly so and Ragleys have also gone up in price too. I'd love another Ragley in the family though!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Set a bloke up last night and he pre-ordered a Commencal Meta HT, due May. The looks/frowns from other occasional MTBers when I convinced him to go for Shimano 10spd 11-46 rather than modern SX 12spd 10-50. He'll thank me some day...

I explained to him that even after a year if he was to step up to a FS, he'll get decent cash back on the HT.

HamboCairns

Set a bloke up last night and he pre-ordered a Commencal Meta HT, due May. The looks/frowns from other occasional MTBers when I convinced him to go for Shimano 10spd 11-46 rather than modern SX 12spd 10-50. He'll thank me some day...

I explained to him that even after a year if he was to step up to a FS, he'll get decent cash back on the HT.
I'm on Deore 10sp now, I would like a slightly wider range, Advent X or Deore 11sp would be nice.