Cheap HT frame options

nathanm

Eats Squid
Looking at building another cheap hardtail for Jayne and the kids so looking for frame options. Have the forks and partial drivetrain so don't need much more other X hardtail is a good cheap option but 135qr rear wheel is a let down.

Anything else I should consider?

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I just bought a brand x HT to build up a bike for my wife... It’s a pretty basic frame that works, unless you don’t like the 135mm dropouts:) I does have those dumb cable guides where only the cable (no outer) can go through certain areas... I drilled the ends out so I could run the cable outer all the way from headset to rear derailleur... I’m also thinking of drilling 3 holes ( 2 in down tube an 1 in seat tube) for a stealth dropper. I bought a few packs of the ragley stealth grommets to help tidy it up...

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I’m also looking for other HT options, specifically 12 x 142 and 27.5. It used to be you could buy Ragley and NS hard tail frames cheap through CRC but now they’re just stupid prices... I’ve not seen anything of late that’s inexpensive and modern:(

cogs19

Likes Bikes

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at building another cheap hardtail for Jayne and the kids so looking for frame options. Have the forks and partial drivetrain so don't need much more other X hardtail is a good cheap option but 135qr rear wheel is a let down.

Anything else I should consider?
Built one of these up for my lad using some older and new parts. Seems to work well with a 140mm fork. He rode it at Maydena and Derby and black trails here is WA without problems.

He is using stans arch wheels which have the qr option.