Cheap Droppers

moorey

call me Mia
I’ve got 4 Bx/Tx. All bought s/h, all have worked flawlessly with minimal play. Levers are a bit cheap feeling but work fine. I swap to hacked shifters. When the start to go, I’ll just bin them.
KS are still my go to, not just because the are solid and reliable, but backup is excellent, and worth paying a bit more for.

Minlak

custom titis
Giant posts are probably the absolute last option I'd go with. Total garbage, not worth the money. Surprised to hear the OPs issues with the BrandX. I dont exactly look after mine and it's still going pretty good. It's definitely improved with a premium lever like the Wolftooth.
My brother has just busted a Giant dropper after 5-6 rides. Spins right round on itself now.
They are far from good
Have only heard bad things about Giant droppers. Seizing after a couple rides, large amount of play, rattles, bushing failures.. Someone I know has gone through 4 in a couple months, each being a warranty replacement.
The one I have seemed ok - Better keep an eye on it now I think :)

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
But no good if you need a diameter other than 30.9mm.
Shim it.

They are good value and seem to just keep ticking on. I know of 2 that are almost 4 years old, still on the original cartridge.

The coating is shot, but still fully functional.

The original lever was rubbish, but the new version they spec is much better.

Edit: Looks like I was lucky! Both of us using them are +100kg which makes it more baffling...

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Giant droppers are terrible.

Replaced mine with a PNW Rainier and couldnt be happier. It's not as silky as the Transfer on my other bike but I can service at home in 15 minutes.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
DNM HQSR . Two bikes have them and will be buying another for another bike . Have been faultless and next to no side to side play . Lever is a bit fiddly to set up by ham fisted people but works well . Plus if you buy from cycling deal you`re covered by warranty and free shipping .

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Interested if anyone has tested this? My Satori shat itself, pretty sure it's less than 12 months. Worth a shot?
Actually yes . The first one I bought had an air issue . I rung cycling deal and they told me to try something first ( it was years ago ) to see if I could get it to function and if not to send back and they`d replace . He did say though that they don`t get issues with these . But I guess like any product you sell you kinda have to say that .

moorey

call me Mia
What was that on ? I have a vague recollection of you saying this before .
Manitou forks. Not bought through them, but was referred to them by Manitou head office as the authorised repairer. They refused, and accused me of dealing in black market forks with scratched off serial numbers....despite me showing them the sales receipt and pics of the serial number.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I bought my Mezzer elsewhere after they said they had zero intentions of getting any more in than they already had.

If I have any issues with it it won't be going anywhere near them

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I had CD honour a warranty for me on some roof mounted kayak carriers, when one of the clamp fittings cracked. Later on it presumably turned out that this was a common issue, as several months down the track a completely new, revised design set of said fittings turned up in the post, completely unasked for.

moorey

call me Mia
I bought my Mezzer elsewhere after they said they had zero intentions of getting any more in than they already had.

If I have any issues with it it won't be going anywhere near them
Any issues, talk to manitou head office before progressing. I sent mine to ShockCraft who handled the warranty out of goodwill, but I had to pay $100+ in NZ post. Manitou said they would have covered that too if I'd checked with them first.

moorey

call me Mia
I had CD honour a warranty for me on some roof mounted kayak carriers, when one of the clamp fittings cracked. Later on it presumably turned out that this was a common issue, as several months down the track a completely new, revised design set of said fittings turned up in the post, completely unasked for.
Take your good news stories and get outta here...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Any issues, talk to manitou head office before progressing. I sent mine to ShockCraft who handled the warranty out of goodwill, but I had to pay $100+ in NZ post. Manitou said they would have covered that too if I'd checked with them first.
That's good to know.

To be fair on cycling deal they were fine to buy from, but I wouldn't entrust them with work on a fork like the Mezzer.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Manitou forks. Not bought through them, but was referred to them by Manitou head office as the authorised repairer. They refused, and accused me of dealing in black market forks with scratched off serial numbers....despite me showing them the sales receipt and pics of the serial number.
I thought so . Damn shame that . When I wanted to buy the remote kit for my machetes no one wanted to know . Quick back forth with the Shock craft guys got a result . Very easy people to deal with and seem to have a lot of Manitou bits available . Love places like that .

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Take your good news stories and get outta here...
In your defence the irony of CD accusing you of scratching out the serial numbers on your Mezzer is pretty rich, given that I have two Manic droppers purchased from them with serial numbers etched out, presumably because they are OEM takeoffs that shouldn't be on-sold.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Legal liability for death or disablement encourages extraordinary outcomes...