Change of plan....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
What should I buy?

I posted a thread a month or two back talking about spending ~4$k on a new HT. Well, Tubbsy has talked me around and I'm instead blowing the budget on a new trail bike and buying a cheapy for commuting the dragging the kiddy trailer. But the problem is, the world has changed, I no longer understand it, and feel scared and threatened.

I was off the bike for close to two years and didn't keep up on the reading. In that time, a lot has changed and I kind of don't even know where to start anymore. So keen to get your thoughts on what I should get and why.

Budget $5k

Riding style - hack-plow: I like going up as much as I do going down, but I way 110kg and can't ride for shit. I currently ride a Remedy 9, which is pretty light for how robust it is and I'd like to try and replicate that as much as possible

I'm about 5/10-5/11 tall and am not keen to go super-slack, but need to grow out of the Remedy, which is a relatively tight geo.

I get worried about buying a bike that I've never even sat on to size up and am not keen to go super-boutique in terms of brand. Happy to buy a bike off the floor, happy to build one up as well. Would prefer new but would consider second hand if a bargain presented itself.

Open to advice.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The new Deore is an excellent group, its weighty on the cranks and cassette, the rear mech is a little bit pudgy too.

M6120 Quad piston brakes reportedly are as good as XT and even have reviewers questioning why Shimano have produced quads in Deore, SLX, XT and XTR. They reckon the price difference is silly for the actual difference, XT M8120s weight 301g and Deore M6120's weight 317g, the only difference is the allen screw bite adjust on the Deores. Reviewers say they should have went 2 models, XTR and Deore or SLX and nothing in between.

I have a full M6100 group, will/have replaced the cassette, cranks and rear mech. The brakes are awesome, same as my quad XT's.

ozzybmx

:D hahahaaaa
When I seen you had replied, was expecting a Ripley AF bump... which I was nearly going to suggest myself.

The frame shape aesthetics are not amazing but its get reviewed as an awesome bike punching well above its weight in climbing and descending.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What should I buy?

I posted a thread a month or two back talking about spending ~4$k on a new HT. Well, Tubbsy has talked me around and I'm instead blowing the budget on a new trail bike and buying a cheapy for commuting the dragging the kiddy trailer. But the problem is, the world has changed, I no longer understand it, and feel scared and threatened.

I was off the bike for close to two years and didn't keep up on the reading. In that time, a lot has changed and I kind of don't even know where to start anymore. So keen to get your thoughts on what I should get and why.

Budget $5k

Riding style - hack-plow: I like going up as much as I do going down, but I way 110kg and can't ride for shit. I currently ride a Remedy 9, which is pretty light for how robust it is and I'd like to try and replicate that as much as possible

I'm about 5/10-5/11 tall and am not keen to go super-slack, but need to grow out of the Remedy, which is a relatively tight geo.

I get worried about buying a bike that I've never even sat on to size up and am not keen to go super-boutique in terms of brand. Happy to buy a bike off the floor, happy to build one up as well. Would prefer new but would consider second hand if a bargain presented itself.

Open to advice.
A new bike is always the answer but why not tweak the remedy with longer fork/mullet? Is it 29 or 27.5?

T-Rex

Template denier
What should I buy?

Budget $5k

Open to advice.
Commencal Meta TR, size L. Pretty much indestructible and as an added bonus this year they have bulletproof rims to match the frame.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Commencal Meta TR, size L. Pretty much indestructible and as an added bonus this year they have bulletproof rims to match the frame.
+1 for T-Rex. Good bike 32 hole wheelset. Solid choice.
2nd hand I’d absolutely avoid carbon. It’s only worth it if you get the warranty.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
M6120 Quad piston brakes reportedly are as good as XT and even have reviewers questioning why Shimano have produced quads in Deore, SLX, XT and XTR. ....(snip) ... the only difference is the allen screw bite adjust on the Deores.
Reach, not bite adjust. Only XTR & XT have bite adjustment. SLX (which are essentially identical to XT) have the bite adjuster blanked out but retain the reach adjust knob. Deore & non-series models lose the reach adjust knob, needing an allen key to tweak, and also don't come factory-spec with the stiffer BH90 hose, so drop a tiny bit of power compared to those that do have the stiffer hose.

ozzybmx

The M6120s also came with sintered pads, which was strange.

I will say one neg... the front brake pads rattle like a chunt, have read that it may just be an adjustment of the retaining springs, yet to remember to do it.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Maybe i need to shift my expectations, I bought the Trek 8 years back for $3.8k, which came with XT, weighed 12kg and has performed exceptionally. Admitedly,, it was last year's stock, at the time.

Not seeing much value about like that at the moment.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Maybe i need to shift my expectations, I bought the Trek 8 years back for $3.8k, which came with XT, weighed 12kg and has performed exceptionally. Admitedly,, it was last year's stock, at the time.

Not seeing much value about like that at the moment.
On average bikes seem heavier now. But they are burlier and ride better.

Unless you spend hours a day trawling for the random bargain, there basically ain’t no crazy discounts from shops at the moment. Probably not for over a year longer either.