Change of plan....

moorey

call me Mia
Maybe i need to shift my expectations, I bought the Trek 8 years back for $3.8k, which came with XT, weighed 12kg and has performed exceptionally. Admitedly,, it was last year's stock, at the time.

Not seeing much value about like that at the moment.
How have you not bought the Hyrax yet? I’m sure @Rusty_68 could play with spec to get it around budget.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
On average bikes seem heavier now. But they are burlier and ride better.

Unless you spend hours a day trawling for the random bargain, there basically ain’t no crazy discounts from shops at the moment. Probably not for over a year longer either.
Yeah, think I have to accept that I got a real bargain last time and consider myself lucky.
Already upped the budget once from &4K to 5, as both wife and I getting a promotion. Wonder if I can raise it to 6.
The other option is not selling the trek but transferring everything but the wheels and fork over.
Have to work out what I might get for the trek, don’t expect much given its age. And that it’s 26”.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
26, it's an 8 year old bike and I'd like to upgrade and move past the 26" PITA.
Yeh bikes have changed a bit since then. I think new bike sales have slowed and would keep a look out for something from 99 bikes from Merida or norco. Or even a new used remedy on Facebook or gumtree. Seems to be a lot of people who bought over covid and trying to trade up to ebikes.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
look out for something from 99 bikes from Merida or norco.
Exactly what i was about to say. Norco sight GEO is spot on and the A3 comes in with basic but ok spec at $4,200 or the A2 with SLX and Fox performance level forks/shock for $5,500

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How have you not bought the Hyrax yet? I’m sure @Rusty_68 could play with spec to get it around budget.
Nice looking bike, good price, etc. But it is 140 on the rear and my lard arse would prefer 150.

It's also trunnion mount rear shock, which was something that shitted me about the Remedy, as it really limited shock choice. Only Fox and RS made trunnion mount shocks. Has that, by chance changed over recent years?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Nice looking bike, good price, etc. But it is 140 on the rear and my lard arse would prefer 150.

It's also trunnion mount rear shock, which was something that shitted me about the Remedy, as it really limited shock choice. Only Fox and RS made trunnion mount shocks. Has that, by chance changed over recent years?

yep..a few options, including DVO

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That does make the Hyrax a little more attractive.

Pity it's not the same sizing as the Trek otherwise I could have just done a straight transfer.

So close, as well - Hyrax is 205X57.5, Remedy is 200X57....

Last edited:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

I went from a 26” bike with 150mm to a 29er with 140mm and honestly, with new geometry, 29”wheels and improvement in shock - the 140mm bike feels massively more capable. You’ll be surprised.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yep, reckon I'll pull the trigger on that, especially given that I've never bottomed the 150 out anyway.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep, reckon I'll pull the trigger on that, especially given that I've never bottomed the 150 out anyway.
You could try harder to bottom it out? Maybe bring in some more pies or scallops?

I dont know if it is trail enough for you, but the specialized (gasp!) Status 140 looks like a fun bike. It's on a short list for one of my friends currently hunting a new trail type bike.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Surprised it took 6 minutes for someone to suggest a Ripmo AF...

M6120 Quad piston brakes reportedly are as good as XT and even have reviewers questioning why Shimano have produced quads in Deore, SLX, XT and XTR. They reckon the price difference is silly for the actual difference, XT M8120s weight 301g and Deore M6120's weight 317g, the only difference is the allen screw bite adjust on the Deores. Reviewers say they should have went 2 models, XTR and Deore or SLX and nothing in between.
Making redundant spec choices that cannibalise sales from each other is a Shimano speciality.

T-Rex

Template denier
Hmmm, $5.5k for a $15kg bike sporting SLX, acros stem, and other mid-lower spec. Doesn't seem like good value to me: https://www.commencal-store.com.au/meta-tr-29-essential-gun-metal-2021-c2x31935041
Mine is a Signature. If you haven’t made a decision in the next few weeks you can take it for a run when I am next in CBR.

don’t get too excited about the weight, the Scott Genius that I replaced was 1kg lighter than the TR, but the TR climbs better, especially on technical climbs. And it’s night and day on descents.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A 29er with 130mm to 140mm frame with a beefy 150mm fork up front is the perfect bike to pedal and plow. Slack Head angle and steep seat tube but not too much travel so you still feel the normal sized trail features.

2 years ago you spend 2.5k to 3k on an alloy frame bike with crappy spec and and throw about 1k at it with upgrades from the fancy bike crowd going from xt to xtr and selling stuff on facebook.
You would end up with a good spec-ed bike for under 4k. Then 1k was left over for a steel HT and your life was complete. Now you get ripped off with Full RRP and can’t ride your bike in lock downs.

I thought we would be passed peak compulsive buying in the bike market that the second hand market would be good now with near new bikes ridden a handful of times. it seems to be getting worse and the second hand bikes are all trashed or close to new bike prices.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trek slash 8 for $4.2k looks great and Trance x 29 for $4.5k and shimano looks good I reckon.