Chain Lube

crash3

Likes Dirt
Does anyone use gearbox oil, as used on old (and apparently new) motorcycle chains?
Here's a 'test' video comparing dedicated motorcycle lubricants against gearbox oil, WD-40 and cooking oil spray, for some reason.
Never Buy Chain Lube Again? Comparison Test - YouTube

I'd imagine the same principals can be applied here, but we also have the shifting of gears to worry about, which adds a lateral force to the mix?

My understanding of chain construction is that there's no 'O' or 'X' rings to hold in lube from the factory as in modern motorcycle chains, it's just links, pins & rollers, like an older plain metal on metal motorcycle chain?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Does anyone use gearbox oil, as used on old (and apparently new) motorcycle chains?
Here's a 'test' video comparing dedicated motorcycle lubricants against gearbox oil, WD-40 and cooking oil spray, for some reason.
Never Buy Chain Lube Again? Comparison Test - YouTube

I'd imagine the same principals can be applied here, but we also have the shifting of gears to worry about, which adds a lateral force to the mix?

My understanding of chain construction is that there's no 'O' or 'X' rings to hold in lube from the factory as in modern motorcycle chains, it's just links, pins & rollers, like an older plain metal on metal motorcycle chain?
Ur right, there’s no rubber rings on the chain.

You could use gearbox oil but dust will just stick to it and look like Pome toilet after a vindaloo.

treat it like ur wang. U wouldn’t put lube on it without cleaning it first.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ur right, there’s no rubber rings on the chain.

You could use gearbox oil but dust will just stick to it and look like Pome toilet after a vindaloo.

treat it like ur wang. U wouldn’t put lube on it without cleaning it first.
Speak for yourself! But it also usually needs a clean after the lube has been applied.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Prepare to be offended you lube snobs..! I get endless kilometres from a quick squirt of the good stuff once every couple of weeks. I live very close to the beach so cop salt air and sea spray, ride pretty much every day, get rained on frequently, trails are very dry and dusty, never measure or rotate my chain until is absolutely rooted, clean it with a squirt of the same stuff I lube it with or sometimes WD-40! Other than installing a new chain when building a new bike I can't remember the last time I swapped out a chain.

I definitely get longer lasting benefits from the Inox over silicone.
I have quietly road tested the fine @pink poodle Lanox on the chain idea. Works well so far and seems to keep things quiet.
It must be a bit more water resistant and that great sheep smell is what everyone needs more of.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
So, originally was on rock n roll, then onto squirt. I think you get more miles out of squirt but does gunk up after a while.
Last couple of months been using both on the one chain. Firstly I apply a bit of squirt, give it a spin through the gears, then rock n roll, spin again then wipe off the excess.
Have to say so far so good, minimal gunk and good km’s.
Anyone see any probs with this?

Flow-Rider

Burner
So, originally was on rock n roll, then onto squirt. I think you get more miles out of squirt but does gunk up after a while.
Last couple of months been using both on the one chain. Firstly I apply a bit of squirt, give it a spin through the gears, then rock n roll, spin again then wipe off the excess.
Which RnR are you using?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I'm using RnR (gold) and Squirt at the moment and would do it the other way around, mainly cos RnR seems to be quite a strong cleaner so would likely remove the squirt you just put on. Always apply squirt the day before and let it fully dry, never apply straight before a ride.

I find the bikes run a fair bit smoother and quieter with the Squirt and it definitely lasts longer. I've been using the RnR on the roady just cos it runs fairly clean with that approach and no build up, with squirt thrown in if I know I'm gonna do 100k+ in one ride. Always squirt on the MTB, most of the buildup can be brushed off I find.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
I've been using Silca Synergetic and it has been outstanding. Seems expensive but you use so little of it, its going to last quite a while.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've been using Silca Synergetic and it has been outstanding. Seems expensive but you use so little of it, its going to last quite a while.
What type of chain life do you get, what brand of chains, and what roughly are the intervals of lube application? (road or MTB)