Centerlock adapters, or new rotors

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found a decent deal on some DT Swiss xmc carbon wheels on 240s centerlock hubs that's too good to pass up. The only drama being the centerlock interface for mounting the rotors.

I say drama because I run my trail bike on Hope E4 brakes and 183mm rotors. Hope doesn't make centerlock rotors and I'm not sure anyone making them does a 183mm option.

Two solutions, use a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter. Looks like the easiest option. Has anyone had any issues with this solution though? I've got some old Bontragner wheels that I've tried it on and they have a little bit of play when properly snugged. But that was using cheap adapters.

Second solution is new, different branded centerlock rotors. But this option might mean buying different brake adapters to suit a 180mm rotor. Plus I'd have to give up my Hope floating rotors.

Any suggestions welcome.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@slider_phil I was in your situation (running Hopes I already had, buying new wheels), and the wheel builder suggested going with centre locks and adaptors for more flexibility. They supplied me with the genuine DT adaptors, which worked well with no play whatsoever..

Unfortunately they push the rotor out by a couple of mm. This may or may not be an issue, but on my bike the tolerance on everything was so tight that even with the caliper over as far as it would go I couldn't centre the rotor and it rubbed ever so slightly. This may not be the case on your frame.

I put up with it for a little while hoping a bit of uneven pad wear would tide me over until new rotor time, but I got sick of it and bought the ones pictured above. Prefer the look of the floating Hopes, but hey ho.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
PM link please (assuming there isn't only one set) !!! If only one then keep to yourself of course.
From the US, and eBay stings you a little tax these days. Still a bargain compared to their retail!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302681167055

Hope that link works. Have already purchased but they've got more by the looks

Back on topic. I'll have to check how much frame clearance I have with the current rotors. From memory the Hope rotors ran pretty close to some bits and pieces so new rotors may be the best option. Looks like the Europeans are the go to for new rotors. About half the price of Pushys/MTBdirect!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I've been running DT 240s CL for years on a couple of bikes and have been running the 6-bolt adapters without any drama. No play, movement, creaking or any other worries. I have always used the DT Branded ones though, so don't have experience with the cheaper options.

I had the same thing where I was able to get a couple of hub sets at too good a price to pass up. And have built them through multiple bikes. One bike now uses CL rotors, but the HD3 uses 6 bolted ones.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
If the wheels are new they probably come with the DT CL/IS adapters (which work really well and look the biz) - 240s hubs sounds like the premium wheelset so the rear probably comes with HG/XD freehubs too. Unless of course, they're second hand...

Edit - just noticed the ebay link - no 6-bolt adapters included and SRAM driver only.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, cheaper but no adapters. Looks like the cheapest and best way is to order some genuine DT Swiss adapters from the Germans. That does mean I'll have to order some other things so the postage isn't a total killer though. Those XTR centerlock rotors are on special over there but it'll still be double the price of adapters.

Thinking of trying some Vittoria tyres on these wheels for no reason at all. Have tried everything from wide trail Minions to super fast XC tyres on this bike. I think my favourite iteration was a decent trail front tyre with a super fast roller in the rear.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Yep, cheaper but no adapters. Looks like the cheapest and best way is to order some genuine DT Swiss adapters from the Germans. That does mean I'll have to order some other things so the postage isn't a total killer though. Those XTR centerlock rotors are on special over there but it'll still be double the price of adapters.
If you're after the adapters, I've got a pair sitting at home, do nothing and living off the fat of the land. Pretty sure they're DT Swiss (came of some DT wheels which I changed over to centrelock rotors, and then sold on).

All yours if you want them, postage only. I've only got 6-bolt hubs these days.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're after the adapters, I've got a pair sitting at home, do nothing and living off the fat of the land. Pretty sure they're DT Swiss (came of some DT wheels which I changed over to centrelock rotors, and then sold on).

All yours if you want them, postage only. I've only got 6-bolt hubs these days.
Ah dude! Where were you 12hrs ago! Just ordered a pair off evilbay last night. They're not the cheapest things out there either so you might be able to make some beer money in the classifieds

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Ah dude! Where were you 12hrs ago! Just ordered a pair off evilbay last night. They're not the cheapest things out there either so you might be able to make some beer money in the classifieds
Bummer, sorry mate!
Knowing me, they'll just continue to sit there with the collection of brake adapters and other random bike bits.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Gravedig for this one. As per @Tubbsy I am at the limit of my lateral adjustment in the caliper positioning with Hope E4s on the rear with a set od DT wheels running 6B rotors on adapters, which space out the rotor a bit.

Looking for some centerlock (their spelling, not mine) rotors to run with them.

Any recommendations for centerlock rotors that work well with Hope E4s?

Looking at:

* SRAM HS2 https://www.pushys.com.au/catalog/p...-lock-rounded-disc-brake-rotor/category/2162/

* Galfer https://www.pushys.com.au/galfer-bi...IYb3anPzu4E7amtYr7YaAsiEEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or maybe Shimanos? I haven't run them for years after icetechs kept warping themselves.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Have MT800 and MT900 on the two Nicolais, but with Cura 4 and MT8s, so no Hope experience. They’re good rotors, I like them. The HS2s do look good. The Formula CL rotors are pretty cheap so maybe worth a look too, similar style to the Galfers.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Hefty but should work alright.

These ZTTO 200/180 weighs 451g

Shimano XT MT800 in 200/180 are 295g
Arguably, for braking performance more mass is probably better - but wowsers that's a significant difference!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Glad you left that open for arguing...but I'm not even going to go there. :D
I meant the additional mass of the rotor for thermal energy absorption and dissipation - not my ample extra mass!