Canberra this Weekend?

mtb1611

Seymour
Morning all. In a case of appalling timing we're currently bound for Canberra for 3 days of riding.....Steinlo is closed, is it worth checking anywhere out given the current conditions or just heading straight to the brewery?! Cheers.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It basically rained for 24 hours straight, had about 60mm which is very unusual here. Stromlo drains well and has more of a rock base, so if they've closed that I'd say nowhere would be any good. Majura and the various Kowalski trails have more clay and would definitely be out. I've heard the Jerrabombera drains well but have never been there.

EDIT: Stromlo say they're reopening Saturday 6am.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Bruce Ridge and Jerra are your go toos given the weather
I don't really agree with this, TBH. Some parts of Bruce Ridge, particularly up the top will be ok, but the lower sides on the north and the south will be almost unridable as there will be huge puddles and lots of mud - this is both because there is a lot more dirt instead of rock down there and all the run of has nowehere to go at the bottom and just pools up. In the colder weather it can take a long time for it to disappear. Based on the sky now, I don't think the rain is over either.

Given the number of hours I've spent on early Sunday mornings doing maintenance on BR, I'd prefer people didn't ride it in these conditions.

mtb1611

Seymour
How did you get on @mtb1611 ?
Well we took everyone's advice so Friday entailed go karting, Assembly (for quite a while......) then dinner at Akiba. Got to Stromlo on Sat but it was still fairly wet, great to get a ride in though (despite a snapped chain), then Handlebar and Bent Spoke later that night. Woke up Sunday and it was raining so was home by midday. Great to get away but disappointed that we only got one ride in. Thanks again for the advice all!

I'm wondering if he is still at the brewery.
I generally don't need too much encouragement for that!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
That's a pity - even though it's been much wetter than average here the last year, nowhere near as bad as Sydney and the coast.

An unlucky pick for the weekend. Thank goodness for breweries.

mtb1611

Seymour
That's a pity - even though it's been much wetter than average here the last year, nowhere near as bad as Sydney and the coast.

An unlucky pick for the weekend. Thank goodness for breweries.
Yes mate, what can ya do......we actually booked it in Feb.