Canberra rides and beers

LPG

likes thicc birds
Hopefully you don't have as long to wait for a ride as I have. The local trails in Wollongong have only just become rideable a few days ago (and only half of the trails are open). They have been unrideable bog/temporary rivers since February. Was so good to get out on Sunday.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Heading down to Majura Pines on Thursday. Any hot tips?
That's about the worst possible option. It's a quagmire.

Already have a few gallaries etc locked in for the little people, breweries...if I must...

The cold doesn't bother me, I can bring the full face and knee pads to keep me warm as I pootle around Stromlo's green trails...rain i'm sick of it...hardly had the bike out this year.
It's not that it's cold, it's that the low temps don't provide the moisture the opportunity to dry out. We've been saturated for a good while now, but the pooling is actually getting worse because nothing dries in two days we get between downpours.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Already have a few gallaries etc locked in for the little people, breweries...if I must...

The cold doesn't bother me, I can bring the full face and knee pads to keep me warm as I pootle around Stromlo's green trails...rain i'm sick of it...hardly had the bike out this year.
Wet stromlo grit is the most abrasive substance known to man ;)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
FYI - Majura trails were just fine! Sure some green trails were wet/muddy but other than that everything was pretty normal.
Seriously? I was there a week ago and everything below the access road, which is the majority of the network as I know it, was a swamp.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
The trails I rode at Stromlo were mint today, a few standing puddles but not the bog I was expecting, was really nice to ride it not being a completely blown out dustbowl.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I rode Mt Rodgers 35hrs ago and the single tracks going up and down had little streams trickling down them.

nzhumpy

I rode Mt Rodgers 35hrs ago and the single tracks going up and down had little streams trickling down them.
I'll make sure I dodge Mt Rodgers tomorrow then, nothing like that at Stromlo, was running primo, like I said just a few standing puddles.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'll make sure I dodge Mt Rodgers tomorrow then, nothing like that at Stromlo, was running primo, like I said just a few standing puddles.
Nobody has any reason to go to Mt Rodgers, I just live in the general vicinity so I use it for fitness training.

You've got me keen to try the back trails of Stromlo now. Going to hit it up this afternoon, hopefully after most of the crowds, that I expect will be there today as the sun is out, have dissipated.

nzhumpy

Nobody has any reason to go to Mt Rodgers, I just live in the general vicinity so I use it for fitness training.

You've got me keen to try the back trails of Stromlo now. Going to hit it up this afternoon, hopefully after most of the crowds, that I expect will be there today as the sun is out, have dissipated.
Not sure what Stromlo is like out the back, I did Pork Barrel and it was the wettest trail I rode so bailed on Double Dissolution and rode back up the top and stuck to the front of the hill.

Both Saturday and Sunday the carpark was chockers and Luge/Skyline was a muppet show, hopefully with the long weekend over you guys can get it back to yourselves.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Not sure what Stromlo is like out the back, I did Pork Barrel and it was the wettest trail I rode so bailed on Double Dissolution and rode back up the top and stuck to the front of the hill.
Double D was fine when I rode it on the weekend. Maybe a little water in that first deep bit, that's it. Magpie Rock and Slick Rock were both fine also. I'd bet Deep Creek etc was pretty bad though, and that last bit of Three Amigos is always a bog.

doihoi

Likes Dirt

Both Saturday and Sunday the carpark was chockers and Luge/Skyline was a muppet show, hopefully with the long weekend over you guys can get it back to yourselves.
I'm with you with this one, Pork was wet af!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Stromlo dries out fast and copes with rain very well though.

I'll be there on the 31st for some slow unfit riding if anyone is keen.

nzhumpy

Yep, pretty shit on PB and most of the trails leading back to the carpark.

Lost count of the times I had gritty water flicked up into my eyes. Sucked.
Late reply on this but yeah it was wet, that's why I decided to ride back up (although my legs hated me for it )and stuck to the front.