Canberra rides…

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Taking next week off, and my Darl and two youngest are visiting our eldest in the city of roundabouts… and while there, my wife and I are keen to get a few rides in.

Last visit a few years ago, we went to ride Majura Pines, but it was heavy machinery-ville and closed, so we ended up at Sparrow Hill, which we really enjoyed. I would be happy to ride Sparrow again, but this time, I’m thinking Stromlo and have printed maps of the six different loops.

We are there four days, so we should be able to squeeze two to three rides in, about two to three hours per ride. We like flowy single track, with occasional mild techy sections… no DH… just XC or mild AM… being old an all.

What say ye… you Canbren riders?

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Firstly, Majura's open again, with some brand new professionally built trails in place. It's really worth a look. I'm not a DH rider either, but the descent trails on the Winery Hill side are top notch.

Stromlo's definitely worth a visit. Begin with Loop 2, and branch out from there. For mine, depending on your legs, hit up Loop 2 and enjoy some of the classic Stromlo descents (Skyline / Luge / Old Duffy's) Head back up along Wattle Happen / Blackberry Climb / Slant Six to Wombat Junction, then head along Willo Link. From there you can take Double Dissolution down if you like it fast and jumpy, or Party Line if you prefer it a bit slower, before working your way back to the car park.

Sparrow Hill is my favourite riding in the area, and it's riding beautifully at the moment too. With the conditions we've had here lately - lots of rain a few weeks back, plus lots of foggy / frosty / dewey mornings, the dirt is always damp without being wet - it just feels great out there. Winter riding in Canberra is just so good, especially if you're a local and you're used to the cold :)

I hope you and the Mrs have a blast - you're really spoiled for choice around here, especially at this time of the year.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
If you are after a quick blast close to town, don't dismiss Bruce Ridge..its right behind the footy stadium, only 10 mins ride from both the ANU/City and Uni of Canberra.

Klips

Likes Dirt
This is a work in progress, but here's my guide to riding in Canberra:

A lot of people come to Canberra and have heard the riding here is good but don’t know where things actually are. This thread is a reference point for all of the different locations that are worth riding in Canberra.

Stromlo Forest Park
Main website: www.stromloforestpark.com.au
Styles: DH, AM, XC, DJ, trials, 4X
Stromlo is the most famous MTB park in Canberra, having hosted the world cup and the world championships. It’s a government funded and maintained park (thanks Canberra rate payers) with a variety of trails to suit all riders, from beginners to pro downhill and xc lycra fiends as well as trail riders. Facilities are excellent with water, toilets, showers and a BBQ at the pavilion where the trail head is, and there is ample parking. A must for every first timer to Canberra.

Majura Pines
Location: Parking at either Majura Rd near Tambreet St or Hackett Gate, Mackenzie St, Watson
Main website: www.majurapines.org
Styles: DH, AM, XC, DJ
Majura Pines has been revived with government funding after being closed due to the Majura Parkway expansion. Famous for being where Cadel raced, and soon to be well known for the best flow trail in Canberra (Barry/Planet Claire) as long as it's maintained. Leg sapping XC trails cover the middle ground between the two downhill trails, with a more technical xc line planned for higher up the mountain. Majura also has dirt jumps and a pump track near the Majura Rd car park for those who believe 26” isn’t dead.

Kowen Forest/Sparrow Hill (NSW)
Location: Kings Hwy, Kowen (Parking is on the Kings Hwy, which turns off Kings Hwy. Yes, it’s confusing. Look here https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Sparrow+Hill/@-35.3316256,149.3381131,16z/ )
Main website: [something for kowen] www.sparrowhill.info
Styles: XC
Surely the most extensive trail network within hundreds of kilometres, Kowen Forest and Sparrow Hill combine to account for almost 100km of singletrack. While heavily XC oriented there’s still fun to be had for trail riders, with lines such as Kowalski’s Beer Garden and Last Call bringing the fun (and causing you to get stuck behind roadies each year at the Mont). Too much to ride in one day for all but the toughest of riders, and with plenty of challenging lines if you know where to look (or keep your eyes open).

Tuggeranong Pines
Styles: Downhill, AM, DJ
Canberra’s home of the big bike, there’s plenty of heavy lines and road gaps to keep everyone shy of Andreu Lacondeguy happy. Constantly changing, with lines appearing and disappearing fairly frequently there’s plenty to keep you on your toes. While not officially sanctioned, the trails have been around so long that if someone was going to do something, it would have been done by now.

Bruce Ridge
Canberra’s inner city sanctum, Bruce ridge is a compact set of trails less than 15 minutes ride from the city centre. With a beginner-friendly outer loop and a tighter, rockier and more technical inner loop these trails are perfect for those travelling between the city and Belconnen to get their daily singletrack fix. If you like flattish corners that make you lean your bike riiiiight over, this is the place for you.

If anyone has information on the following, please send me a description:
Pine Island
Jerrabombera
Isaacs (is it even open still?)

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Thanks youse all... have printed all available maps.

The car boot is loaded, the pod is packed, the bikes will go on first thing in the morning and we'll be off.

Have forgotten about work already.

Thanks for the Bruce Ridge tip... I'm sure we'll give that a shot.

Regards...

dh1

Likes Dirt

A lot of people come to Canberra and have heard the riding here is good but don’t know where things actually are. This thread is a reference point for all of the different locations that are worth riding in Canberra.

Stromlo Forest Park
Stromlo is the most famous MTB park in Canberra, having hosted the world cup and the world championships. It’s a government funded and maintained park (thanks Canberra rate payers) with a variety of trails to suit all riders, from beginners to pro downhill and xc lycra fiends as well as trail riders. Facilities are excellent with water, toilets, showers and a BBQ at the pavilion where the trail head is, and there is ample parking. A must for every first timer to Canberra.

Majura Pines
Location: Parking at either Majura Rd near Tambreet St or Hackett Gate, Mackenzie St, Watson
Majura Pines has been revived with government funding after being closed due to the Majura Parkway expansion. Famous for being where Cadel raced, and soon to be well known for the best flow trail in Canberra (Barry/Planet Claire) as long as it's maintained. Leg sapping XC trails cover the middle ground between the two downhill trails, with a more technical xc line planned for higher up the mountain. Majura also has dirt jumps and a pump track near the Majura Rd car park for those who believe 26” isn’t dead.

Location: Kings Hwy, Kowen (Parking is on the Kings Hwy, which turns off Kings Hwy. Yes, it’s confusing. Look here https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Sparrow+Hill/@-35.3316256,149.3381131,16z/ )
Surely the most extensive trail network within hundreds of kilometres, Kowen Forest and Sparrow Hill combine to account for almost 100km of singletrack. While heavily XC oriented there’s still fun to be had for trail riders, with lines such as Kowalski’s Beer Garden and Last Call bringing the fun (and causing you to get stuck behind roadies each year at the Mont). Too much to ride in one day for all but the toughest of riders, and with plenty of challenging lines if you know where to look (or keep your eyes open).

Tuggeranong Pines
Canberra’s home of the big bike, there’s plenty of heavy lines and road gaps to keep everyone shy of Andreu Lacondeguy happy. Constantly changing, with lines appearing and disappearing fairly frequently there’s plenty to keep you on your toes. While not officially sanctioned, the trails have been around so long that if someone was going to do something, it would have been done by now.

Bruce Ridge
Canberra’s inner city sanctum, Bruce ridge is a compact set of trails less than 15 minutes ride from the city centre. With a beginner-friendly outer loop and a tighter, rockier and more technical inner loop these trails are perfect for those travelling between the city and Belconnen to get their daily singletrack fix. If you like flattish corners that make you lean your bike riiiiight over, this is the place for you.

Pine Island
Jerrabombera
Good work!
This should be movd to the watering hole

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard

Stromlo Forest Park

Majura Pines

Tuggeranong Pines

Bruce Ridge

Pine Island
Jerrabombera
Excellent overview!

Isaacs - nothing there these days EXCEPT centenary trail (see below), some remnant DH tracks which look decidedly haggard and fireroads - that's about it (one fun, very short little track down the bottom called sweet n low).

Pine Island - Fun XC style trails fit into a VERY compact area, singletrack with some basic small berms thrown in. Fun enough but would certainly not make the trip out there if in Canberra for a limited time. Can link to them from centenary trail etc if looking for a longer ride.

Jerrabomberra - Techy XC/AM/some FR stuff. Gravelly and loose, a bit scrappy, tight in places, steep pinches. Fun descent in 42VMG, a real hidden gem IMO.

To this list you could also throw in centenary trail. Highlights that I have ridden are the sections at both ends of isaacs (long gully at one end and mugga at the other, linked together by the fireroad traversing isaacs ridge) and the section running from Kambah pool to Tuggeranong town centre. I hear the section out north near Hall is awesome too.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
We rode a fair bit of Bruce Ridge just now… a fifteen minute mild climb from our hotel in Northbourne Avenue. Quite good fun and pretty amazing to have trails like that, so close to a CBD. All up we were on the bikes for two hours.

It’s a bonus to know about it for the future. Next time we come here I might bring lights as it is so close to town, if it wasn’t so effing freezing, you could fit a good night ride in there.

In some spots, it is sort of weird riding in the bush with so much traffic noise.

Loved Daviesia Down… being our first time, I was taking it easy, but I’m sure the locals just blast down there.

Only saw one other rider out there… he was on a rigid fatbike.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
When I'm not broken I regularly do winter night rides on the Ridge.

Agree, having trails like that within coo-ee is a real element of where I choose to live.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Just back from Stromlo… wow, such fun. What a great setup. We rode the long version of Loop 4, and were on the bikes for about two hours. The climb is good in that there’s just enough rocky bastardry to take your mind off the climb, yet it’s not too hard to do.

It was a nice surprise to come out at the observatory. Took a few photos for the guitarist in one of my old bands, as he’s an astrophysicist and spent a lot of time driving those telescopes. I made the mistake of sending a few piccies, so then he was texting me relentlessly, not getting that it’s a bit rocky to text and ride.

The descent near the top is excellent, nice and rocky and interesting. We walked a few of the big long mongrel rockfaces… I’m just too old to risk the ambulance sometimes. But super enjoyed it none the less.

The second last section coming out near the bottom is fantastic, with a few small tabletops to get (pathetic) air, and nice big berms to lay into… great stuff.

Back at the car, drove into some godforsaken nowheresville to get a beer, and then a very satisfied drive back to town.

Loved it.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I think you bumped into me and a mate, props for doing the magpie rock section, quite technical!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Slimjim… was one of you riding a Pivot? or were you one of the guys losing air out of his front tyre?

It was a perfection day for riding, and yes… didn’t know the names of each trail… but the rocks were fun, fun, fun. Don’t worry, there was plenty of pucker pucker moments, and the dropper posts were going up and down like a bride's nightie.

Alas, we are going home a day earlier than planned… coz, if we weren’t… we’d be back there tomorrow.

edit... My Darl still can’t believe she rode the rocks… her theory is that the endorphins generated in the climb, made her brave.

Last edited: