Canada Trip - BC and QC

LPG

likes thicc birds
I've been looking forward to an upcoming trip to Canada, BC FOR ~ 9 days and similar time in mostly Quebec.

Riding location highlights are 3 days in Squamish and 1 in Pemberton BC. I'm also keen to ride some cool trails near family I'll be visiting further inland in BC and near where I grew up 150km east of Montreal (before I moved to Aus at 11).

It's a family trip that was timed to see my Grandmother in Quebec on her 90th birthday and introduce her to my 2 year old son. Despite that I've organised to stay near trails most of the time so I'll be doing morning rides for 2-4 hours as often as I can manage then spend the rest of the day spending it with the family doing other outdoor stuff.

Does anyone have any tips, particularly for Pemberton and Squamish? I want to make the most of both Squamish and Pemberton while I am there. Ignoring the family to ride Whistler all day is apparently not an option.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From friends that have been there, it’s a big step up in riding level required from anything in Aus. Hopefully you are aware of that?

Also, super jealous

PJO

in me vL comy
Have been lucky enough to sneak in a day in Squamish on a work trip 5 years ago. Three days will be awesome should be able to cover a reasonable amount depending on how many kms you are prepared to do. A week would be ideal!

I booked a guide and a bike through RideBC, and caught an early morning bus from Vancouver. RideBC provided a descent Rocky Mountain dually and Laura Batista, who now races the World Enduro circuit, was my guide.
She took me mostly through a maze of blue and a few black trails, also took me past some of the insane features I wasn't prepared to ride but was good to walk up and have a look. I covered about 40km and quite a lot of vert in the 5hrs I had available. There's not much flat trail you're either going up or coming down. I was pretty stuffed at the end of the day but with a big grin.

The trails were fantastic, had some features that extended my riding at the time. Was definitely a step up to what I was able to ride in TAS at the time but quite a bit more of that style and those bigger features are now in Derby, at that time they were right on my limit. Laura was great and coached me through a few features.

Super jealous, I had a fantastic time, would go back in a heartbeat.

Edit: you should be able to plan quite a bit through trailforks to figure out some interesting loops, there is a lot of trail so you're not likely to get bored.

LPG

likes thicc birds
That's awesome. Where are you riding riding in Quebec?
Most spots will be smaller riding areas. The local small ski hill I skied and snowboarded at closed down sometime since I moved here in '99. (Apparently it was found out to be a Hell's Angels money laundering business. Council took it over and ran it and turns out it wasn't profitable and it closed down/got rid of the ski lift). Last year they built some MTB trails there so I'm keen to check it out. There are only a few trails I can see but It will be fun for the nostalgia. It's also a quick pedal from the town I'm staying at.

I hope to get to mount be mount bellevue (Sherbrooke) and if I'm lucky I may be able to go to mount Bromont (one of the bigger ski areas around and has some good MTB trails).

From friends that have been there, it’s a big step up in riding level required from anything in Aus. Hopefully you are aware of that?

Also, super jealous
I've heard. I'm pretty capable and happy on double black tech and my locals are steeper than most in Mainland Au but I'm still a bit nervous about the step up until I actually experience it. I'm bringing the fullface only, fortunately it's pretty good for pedalling.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Have been lucky enough to sneak in a day in Squamish on a work trip 5 years ago. Three days will be awesome should be able to cover a reasonable amount depending on how many kms you are prepared to do. A week would be ideal!

I booked a guide and a bike through RideBC, and caught an early morning bus from Vancouver. RideBC provided a descent Rocky Mountain dually and Laura Batista, who now races the World Enduro circuit, was my guide.
She took me mostly through a maze of blue and a few black trails, also took me past some of the insane features I wasn't prepared to ride but was good to walk up and have a look. I covered about 40km and quite a lot of vert in the 5hrs I had available. There's not much flat trail you're either going up or coming down. I was pretty stuffed at the end of the day but with a big grin.

The trails were fantastic, had some features that extended my riding at the time. Was definitely a step up to what I was able to ride in TAS at the time but quite a bit more of that style and those bigger features are now in Derby, at that time they were right on my limit. Laura was great and coached me through a few features.

Super jealous, I had a fantastic time, would go back in a heartbeat.

Edit: you should be able to plan quite a bit through trailforks to figure out some interesting loops, there is a lot of trail so you're not likely to get bored.
That sounds like an awesome day in squamish. I'm staying right next to the Alice Lake and am looking forward to that area most. Trail forks seems to be pretty good for details there which is good.

slowmick

38-39"
I got to ride Bromont when I went to Montreal for work. Such a well set up Mountain. Got in trouble when the lead drafter told the boss he had broken his back at Bromont and probably not the best plan for me the ride there. Wound up at Mont Tremblant doing cross country the next weekend.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I got to ride Bromont when I went to Montreal for work. Such a well set up Mountain. Got in trouble when the lead drafter told the boss he had broken his back at Bromont and probably not the best plan for me the ride there. Wound up at Mont Tremblant doing cross country the next weekend.
Haha, that'll limit what you can do on a work trip. I hope I can get there but I'll need to find something for my wife and 2yo to do that keeps them happy all day, it's not too close to where we are staying...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I stayed in Pemberton last year. While I ended up at the pub there (great value low star accommodation) I started out in a granny flat. The owner was a fucking lunatic and kicked us out in the middle of our first night there when she found out my mate and I weren't gay (yes this is true!) but then went on a massive homophobic rant. We refused to leave til the next day. Then she wouldn't give our money back...ripped me off about $1000! So if you wanted to save me some hassles @LPG any chance you can take an ounce bag of my faeces over and dump it in her mail box for me?

There was a good coffee roaster there and a sourdough bakery that made fucking awesome cinnamon buns.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I stayed in Pemberton last year. While I ended up at the pub there (great value low star accommodation) I started out in a granny flat. The owner was a fucking lunatic and kicked us out in the middle of our first night there when she found out my mate and I weren't gay (yes this is true!) but then went on a massive homophobic rant. We refused to leave til the next day. Then she wouldn't give our money back...ripped me off about $1000! So if you wanted to save me some hassles @LPG any chance you can take an ounce bag of my faeces over and dump it in her mail box for me?

There was a good coffee roaster there and a sourdough bakery that made fucking awesome cinnamon buns.
I would have taken one for the team if it kept the accommodation overlord happy.

Remember, it's not gay if it's for financial gain.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I've been looking forward to an upcoming trip to Canada, BC FOR ~ 9 days and similar time in mostly Quebec.

Riding location highlights are 3 days in Squamish and 1 in Pemberton BC. I'm also keen to ride some cool trails near family I'll be visiting further inland in BC and near where I grew up 150km east of Montreal (before I moved to Aus at 11).

It's a family trip that was timed to see my Grandmother in Quebec on her 90th birthday and introduce her to my 2 year old son. Despite that I've organised to stay near trails most of the time so I'll be doing morning rides for 2-4 hours as often as I can manage then spend the rest of the day spending it with the family doing other outdoor stuff.

Does anyone have any tips, particularly for Pemberton and Squamish? I want to make the most of both Squamish and Pemberton while I am there. Ignoring the family to ride Whistler all day is apparently not an option.
I’ve been looking at riding spots in BC because I’ll be travelling there at the end of July and staying 6 months. It’s a trip/move we had planned for 2020. Were going to live for 12 months in a small town called Nelson in the Kootaney Rockies but it all came unstuck, Plans are back on but just for 6 months this time.

Anyway, we are starting with a month of travelling around BC. I’m going to spend 2 days riding whistler then try and work in a day here and there at a few bike parks as well as morning or afternoon rides on local trails (wherever we are). The good news is that you can’t turn around without bumping into a mountain bike trail in BC. Check out trail forks. It’s like the map is infested with red, blue and black snakes.

In terms of bike parks, I’m going to try and get a day in at Coast Bike Park in Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast then when we head into the interior of BC, we will stay in the Okanagan Valley for a few days and I will try and get to both Big White and Silverstar. From there we will hit Revelstoke before heading down to Banff, across the Calgary (looks the least likely spot for trails) and back around to Nelson where i will hopefully get 6-8 weeks of riding before snow makes it impossible. Then I’ll pack the bike away and get the snowboard out…

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I’ve been looking at riding spots in BC because I’ll be travelling there at the end of July and staying 6 months. It’s a trip/move we had planned for 2020. Were going to live for 12 months in a small town called Nelson in the Kootaney Rockies but it all came unstuck, Plans are back on but just for 6 months this time.

Anyway, we are starting with a month of travelling around BC. I’m going to spend 2 days riding whistler then try and work in a day here and there at a few bike parks as well as morning or afternoon rides on local trails (wherever we are). The good news is that you can’t turn around without bumping into a mountain bike trail in BC. Check out trail forks. It’s like the map is infested with red, blue and black snakes.

In terms of bike parks, I’m going to try and get a day in at Coast Bike Park in Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast then when we head into the interior of BC, we will stay in the Okanagan Valley for a few days and I will try and get to both Big White and Silverstar. From there we will hit Revelstoke before heading down to Banff, across the Calgary (looks the least likely spot for trails) and back around to Nelson where i will hopefully get 6-8 weeks of riding before snow makes it impossible. Then I’ll pack the bike away and get the snowboard out…
You'll hate that...you know what will make it good? Taking a small bag of shit for me and depositing it in a Pemberton letterbox.

I would have taken one for the team if it kept the accommodation overlord happy.

Remember, it's not gay if it's for financial gain.
She would have found something else to be angry about. It was an amazing sight - eyes rolled back, frothing and spitting, swaying, speaking a million miles a second...

LPG

likes thicc birds

Can we wrap it in some rainbow wrapping paper?

I've always wondered, if you seal shit with enough air to ferment, does it start decomposing and pressurise the vacuum bag only to explode when someone starts to open it? Intercontinental science experiment?

LPG

likes thicc birds

That sounds awesome. You should have some good time to explore. Are you going to be working while there or is an extended holiday?

I'm curious what you think of Silverstar. I have family living just near it that I'll be visiting but unfortunately I'm a couple weeks early and it isn't open yet.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can we wrap it in some rainbow wrapping paper?
Original plan was to return to Pemberton in the winter and make a large deposit after a snow storm and burry it at the bottom of the mailbox under fresh snow. So when she digs it out....

That sounds awesome. You should have some good time to explore. Are you going to be working while there or is an extended holiday?

I'm curious what you think of Silverstar. I have family living just near it that I'll be visiting but unfortunately I'm a couple weeks early and it isn't open yet.
One of my friends lived at Silverstar for a few seasons. He rates the bike park there very high. I've done a week there on snow. It's very pretty and has awesome terrain for snow action but doesn't yield the kind of powder I would have liked.

I would recommend a visit to Long John's pub whilst there. The soup and toasty lunch combo was a regular winner.

Another friend moved to Revelstoke for 18/19 season, stayed on for 19/20 season and got stuck for covid etc. He is now in Squamish and rates it very high for outdoors life.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Original plan was to return to Pemberton in the winter and make a large deposit after a snow storm and burry it at the bottom of the mailbox under fresh snow. So when she digs it out....
Sorry poodle this site cannot condone retaliatory action such as you suggest. The snow will dehydrate the turd and by the time the thaw has happened you will have left nothing more than a brown petrified shape. Wiping the fresh turd on the inside top of the letterbox will ensure that it will retain its moisture after thawing due to condensation. As a bonus the user of the mailbox will likely rub the back of their hands on the coating a number of times without noticing before identifying the source of the colour.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sorry poodle this site cannot condone retaliatory action such as you suggest. The snow will dehydrate the turd and by the time the thaw has happened you will have left nothing more than a brown petrified shape. Wiping the fresh turd on the inside top of the letterbox will ensure that it will retain its moisture after thawing due to condensation. As a bonus the user of the mailbox will likely rub the back of their hands on the coating a number of times without noticing before identifying the source of the colour.

The underso of the mail box roof...genius!

binner

Hath shat hymself
all I can say is to grow those balls for Pembo, some of the trails we "tried" to ride were off tap and nothing I have ever seen before. I will say its a nice drive there from Whistler. SQ is a lot of fun, allow a full day to ride some sweet trails. Have Fun!!!!!

LPG

likes thicc birds
all I can say is to grow those balls for Pembo, some of the trails we "tried" to ride were off tap and nothing I have ever seen before. I will say its a nice drive there from Whistler. SQ is a lot of fun, allow a full day to ride some sweet trails. Have Fun!!!!!
I'm planning to pack my biggest pair. We'll see if they are up for the job