Can I repair / use this?

mxh

Likes Dirt
I pulled the DH bike out of the shed to find that the rear tyre was flat (it's running tubeless). I pumped it up but could feel air leaking from around the join in the rim.

Holding the rim up to the light, you can just see a pinprick hole in the side of the rim. Don't know what make the rim is - it was put on by a local wheelbuilder, who assured me it was bulletproof! Admittedly that was about 4 years ago.

Is the rim likely to be falling apart? A bit of araldite to fill the hole and go tubeless again? Or just run a tube? Or throw it away and start again?

The dent in the rim doesn't leak - only the pinprick hole.

Capture.PNG

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
While your artistic endeavours are to be encouraged, that is a shit photo for this kind of technical chatter...

It looks like the hole is in your rims joint, weld or other. If that is the case it is only a matter of time until the rest of the join cracks. I have seen joins blow before and it was never a particularly dramatic experience and usually from wear and abuse. I doubt it will be a catastrophic fail when it goes, unless it happens while you're ripping absolutely huge down the a-line of glorious victory...in which case make sure the camera is rolling.

mxh

Likes Dirt
To be fair I had already said it was at the join in the rim. And it is a small hole, so I was quite pleased to be able to capture the light showing through it. But agreed, it's a shit photo.

The bike only gets a couple of outings a year - and no danger of any a-line rippings with my standard of riding.

Araldite or tube?

moorey

call me Mia
Am slowly getting used to what's deemed acceptable in Aus. Can't believe anyone thought that was OK when they were doing it.
Just say ‘no wuckers’. It’s our version of hakuna matata...or some shit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
To be fair I had already said it was at the join in the rim. And it is a small hole, so I was quite pleased to be able to capture the light showing through it. But agreed, it's a shit photo.
Artistically the mixed media work is intriguing. The fuzzy foreground and in focus background with complex and competing light and intersecting lines with your red pen work overlayed really works. So let's not be too harsh on the image...

I'd use silicone to plug the hole. You'll want something flexible as the rim will plea while riding. Dab some inside and outside.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Am slowly getting used to what's deemed acceptable in Aus. Can't believe anyone thought that was OK when they were doing it.
The S bend thingy is real winner in this photo that gives so much and worthy of more attention. You can hang stuff off it and drain water through it. I love multi purpose things.

Ride on without a care in the world but take the full face or chin guard just in case us keyboard jockeys have it more wrong than usual.

somethingsomething.jpg

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Replace your tape, the hole in the rim is supposed to be there...
It could be the ding causing it to not seal, in which case a tube will solve that

mxh

Likes Dirt
Replace your tape, the hole in the rim is supposed to be there...
I assume there's a joke there that I'm missing?

It could be the ding causing it to not seal, in which case a tube will solve that
No, the ding is airtight. Unsurprisingly, it's the hole that is letting the air out. I put it in a basin of water and it was pretty obvious.