Can America be fixed?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
When I was in year 7 my history teacher arranged for a strange man (possibly a teacher, but likely more a LARP nut, maybe both?) to bring a truck full of Ye Olde weapons etc to the school. Swords, shields, axes, armour, bows, arrows and a small cannon. We had interactive play based learning with all the toys. It was a lot of fun. Then...the moment came to fire the cannon. It probably would have been a good idea to provide forewarning to the principal and other staff about this. Holy shit it was loud! And the chaos that followed the unexpected explosion was wonderful.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
When I was in year 7 my history teacher arranged for a strange man (possibly a teacher, but likely more a LARP nut, maybe both?) to bring a truck full of Ye Olde weapons etc to the school. Swords, shields, axes, armour, bows, arrows and a small cannon. We had interactive play based learning with all the toys. It was a lot of fun. Then...the moment came to fire the cannon. It probably would have been a good idea to provide forewarning to the principal and other staff about this. Holy shit it was loud! And the chaos that followed the unexpected explosion was wonderful.
I assume that teacher was "history" after that incident :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I assume that teacher was "history" after that incident :p
Oddly enough no. The school was only in its second year and had very high hopes of achieving high prestige. At the time that teacher was the one who wore the most adornments of academic achievement when they would all dress up in their gowns etc for he end of year formalities. So I think he had a little clout. No no...not Catholic gowns! The school wasn't that wierd.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
When the opening scene starts with a backdrop of several rusty quad-bikes and a bloke with a yokel tinged accent, machining has been done with an angle grinder, and the firing is done from a electric wheelchair - I'm truly amazed the outcome was as good as it was in this vid!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
When the opening scene starts with a backdrop of several rusty quad-bikes and a bloke with a yokel tinged accent, machining has been done with an angle grinder, and the firing is done from a electric wheelchair - I'm truly amazed the outcome was as good as it was in this vid!
yep. the thing about these days, as I'm sure most of you know, is that you can pretty much learn to do anything online if you're keen and interested. The quality of the outcome is often relative to how much effort and resources you put into it, including guns, drugs, furniture, cars, bikes, houses, day trading, biochem, CRISPR whatever. I think its a bit naïve these days to take the position of "BS, cant get gun parts easily" when you can make them if you really want to. You can literally buy rifling buttons from amazon https://www.amazon.com/rifling-button/s?k=rifling+button

Flow-Rider

Burner
He likes to live on the edge.

Flow-Rider

Burner
yep. the thing about these days, as I'm sure most of you know, is that you can pretty much learn to do anything online if you're keen and interested. The quality of the outcome is often relative to how much effort and resources you put into it, including guns, drugs, furniture, cars, bikes, houses, day trading, biochem, CRISPR whatever. I think its a bit naïve these days to take the position of "BS, cant get gun parts easily" when you can make them if you really want to. You can literally buy rifling buttons from amazon https://www.amazon.com/rifling-button/s?k=rifling+button
You need more than just a rifling button to make a gun barrel, the barrel steel isn't normal mild steel to start with and youtube BS is just for likes. It's like people building engines in their back yard in the dirt, then the engine last 5000kms and shits itself.

mark22

Likes Dirt
. Just one example

Some more

So basically to make a rifle barrel you need a sufficiently thick and strong piece of steel and a way to bore through it.

Rifling buttons can be bought online and steel of various thicknesses bought litterally at bunnings (or a steel supplier if you wish).

Seems like "readily available" may be a bit of a stretch, but with a bit of perseverance and some preperation, completely doable.
Haa haa, and machine the barrel internally to accept the calibre wanted and to mate it with a receiver that you have had to design and machine which will in turn take a bolt you have design and machine and all capable of withstanding 65,000 psi.
These parts won't be 3D printed.

Add a trigger mechanism and plonk some sights on it and you are good to go "completely doable"

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Haa haa, and machine the barrel internally to accept the calibre wanted and to mate it with a receiver that you have had to design and machine which will in turn take a bolt you have design and machine and all capable of withstanding 65,000 psi.
These parts won't be 3D printed.

Add a trigger mechanism and plonk some sights on it and you are good to go "completely doable"

I could keep looking for more parts available in Australia and how to Skirt some of the customs on all the parts you can buy in the USA, but I sort CBF and I do t want to fall on some watch list lol

But Like I said, it's a bit naive to think that these things can't be done at home if you you really wanted to. The quality of which will be relative to your resources/effort/desire.

Times are a changing.

Last edited:

mark22

Likes Dirt
Someone sent me this link last year. Bit of a fun video with a not so much of an off the shelf standard firearm using dubious ammunition, this guy was lucky by geez.

.50 Cal Exploding with injuries shown

Last edited: