Can America be fixed?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
An Italian photographer went to the US to photo people with their gun collections, amongst the mix, there are teenagers with large gun collections. They have more guns than they even know what to do with.
Can't find the video I saw of a roughly 4 year old showing how to cock the hammer and shoot a powerful looking rifle, take the magazine out and put it back, at a gun show, with a woman watching on who says oh that's just so cute!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
An Italian photographer went to the US to photo people with their gun collections, amongst the mix, there are teenagers with large gun collections. They have more guns than they even know what to do with.

View attachment 390053View attachment 390054
View attachment 390055View attachment 390056

View attachment 390057View attachment 390058

View attachment 390059View attachment 390060
JFC; at least the Texan (I'm guessing) chick has some older presumably heirloom stuff there, and has hers unloaded.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

Wtf do you do with that? Thank fuck we're an ocean away from that kind of madness

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Wtf do you do with that? Thank fuck we're an ocean away from that kind of madness

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Dunno dude. Their society, such as it is, appears to be fucked, IMO. I'm discussing this very thing with some dude on a US forum (not a gun forum, obviously) and there seems to be a terrible sense of hopelessness.
2/5ths of FA public health system, + focus on individual rights + way more guns than people + easy access to even more guns =
fucking ongoing disaster.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ill never forget chatting to a couple of teenage brothers whilst waiting in a queue for a rollercoaster in Florida. They said they were from Baltimore and jokingly said all i know about it was from watching The Wire. With a straight face tinged with what may have been something like resignation or sadness he simply said thats what its exactly like and how he lives.

I really didnt know what to do with that... Really nice kids though.

mark22

Likes Dirt
A big part of the success of our gun laws was the buy back and periodic amnesties. Even if the US of A did this they would barely get anyone handing over the AR15s and equivalents because those who own those believe they have the right to have them. If they outlaw the weapons then again many will hold them, they will just hide them away. That would stop the likes of Uvalde with a new owner buying an AR15 but not stop them from buying a rifle with magazine so potentially fewer rounds and slower killing speeds.

I honestly don't see how this can be fixed all they can do is reduce to some degree future harm.
It may surprise you that there are more firearms in the community now in Australia now than after the Howard gun laws were introduced and implemented.

I believe the key is: To have a firearms license you must be approved person with police background checks done and have completed an approved firearms safety course before this is issued. All license renewals require a fresh background check. Some convictions will require cancellation of firearm licenses in between those events.

Then there is a permit to acquire a firearm which must be applied for each firearm with some extended timeframes depending on the type of firearm and other factors.

All firearms and ammunition must be stored separately in locked steel/or suitable cabinets fixed to the floor or wall.

All of the above requirements we have here in Australia.
Imagine if the Americans were able to do this.

It's just too easy for unstable/ irisponsible people to get their paws on any firearms in the US.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
It may surprise you that there are more firearms in the community now in Australia now than after the Howard gun laws were introduced and implemented.

I believe the key is: To have a firearms license you must be approved person with police background checks done and have completed an approved firearms safety course before this is issued. All license renewals require a fresh background check. Some convictions will require cancellation of firearm licenses in between those events.

Then there is a permit to acquire a firearm which must be applied for each firearm with some extended timeframes depending on the type of firearm and other factors.

All firearms and ammunition must be stored separately in locked steel/or suitable cabinets fixed to the floor or wall.

All of the above requirements we have here in Australia.
Imagine if the Americans were able to do this.

It's just too easy for unstable/ irisponsible people to get their paws on any firearms in the US.
And then there's random inspections to make sure they are stored properly. I don't own any, but my cousin copped an inspection when his dad wasn't home to unlock the gun case. Shitting his pants for the first 15mins

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's good about them, in the context of the right to bear arms in case you have to shoot other people?
Kind of a dumb question....If I had the choice to be armed or unarmed in a society where the likelihood of coming up against that situation was real, I'd rather be armed than hoping the police got there in time. What would you choose if you had to ?

The trouble with the utopian ideal of banning guns in the US, is how to get the criminal elements to give theirs up. Having been largely unregulated since forever, if they ever convinced the majority of ordinary law abiding people who own guns for whatever reason, to get rid of them while the criminals would still have their guns.

As we see with our gun laws, criminal types aren't really impacted by them. They kill each other occasionally, but fairly discreetly ie no repeats of the Milperra shootout.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Safe storage requirements would go a long way towards reducing the accidents in the home, and they could probably implement that more readily than getting the masses to give up owning guns.
Yes, this would go a long way to preventing those "kid takes his dad gun and goes on a shooting spree" type of incident.
The gun control groups also don't want to take all the guns, just the more military type of gun for want of a better description and better background checks. But the pro-gun crowd just think that if they start with that then eventually the government will just keep going and take all the guns away.
I think Australia has a good balance of control at the moment, but we didn't come from the level that the US has now.
There's a big deep-seated fear and distrust of the government from a lot of Americans.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

The take the N+1 equation to another level!

Maybe I should do the same with bikes. "YOU CAN'T TAKE MY BIKES!!!"

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Kind of a dumb question....If I had the choice to be armed or unarmed in a society where the likelihood of coming up against that situation was real, I'd rather be armed than hoping the police got there in time. What would you choose if you had to ?
Then it just becomes an arms race. If someone has a large, powerful and accurate semi-automatic riffle and all you have is a pistol then you are either going to hide like everyone else or put yourself in greater danger by shooting inaccurately from too far away, drawing attention and getting targeted/killed. So do you get a bigger gun???

Pretty sure history shows that mass shooting where there was an armed response (security/police/citizen) led to more deaths on average. Seems a fallacy to me that you need to be armed to protect yourself.

I know that I won't change your mind on that and I'm sitting here safe behind my keyboard but emotion is the only thing driving the 'I need to be armed too' argument, not logic.