Can America be fixed?

Cleverly

Likes Bikes
Even in the USA full auto firearms are not available to the general public.
Yes they are.
They just need to have been made and with a tax stamp from prior to 1986 (the initial ban didn't grandfather them in). Which means the ones that are in circulation are SUPER expensive, but still no limits to owning them.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Bit of misinformation about AR15 style firearms are generally a civilinized semi automatic version of a fully Automatic military firearm.
Even in the USA full auto firearms are not available to the general public.
Not that it really matters with these events.

IMHO the problem lies with Americans themselves they do not like being compelled to do anything be it wearing masks, voting or in this case, responsible firearms laws.

They see it as an affront to their freedom under the Constitution, and some ploy by the government to control them.
The answer is staring them in the face but they won't man up and do it, fear of the unknown maybe?
What the solution is I have no idea.
Consider that a frightening number of States in the USA allow for legal OPEN CARRY of firearms. Consider the obscenely powerful and well resourced National Rifle Association. Think about all the massacres in the past 22 years, and the overwhelming lack of action in gun control.

I think that USA politicians who propose stronger gun control risk getting voted out of office, or shot dead, or both.
The Gun lobby, and Gun Culture doesn't appear to be going away any time soon.
It would certainly be electoral death to any GOP polly, to vote for gun control, As far as I can see.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
This has been around for ever and is very effective way of keeping the gun laws so lax. I remember when my Father in law would get email with all of this crap in it and I would have to take him to the Australian police statistics website to show him it was all a load of crap. The industry is worth billions and the people LOVE their guns so they are always going to bend/ignore the truth to keep them. It wasn't one of their kids so they don't really care.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
To those who haven't seen this "The Bikes of Wrath" ABC 12:09am early Monday (maybe on iview,).
It's about a group of Aussies (riding) travelling from Oaklahoma to California with very little money. Great story.
Do they follow the same route as the Joads?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I was pissed too reading it because I remember hearing the exact same thing when Sandy Hook happened.
It's quite upsetting for the world to see innocent people lose their lives, but someone saying that rubbish is more indicative of the type of person they are.

Cleverly

Likes Bikes
It's quite upsetting for the world to see innocent people lose their lives, but someone saying that rubbish is more indicative of the type of person they are.
It's more likely they were just misled or just misunderstood than they were maliciously spreading something they knew to be wrong. I gotta admit, I can see how a lot of people fall into the trap, there's no consistency with how these things are reported or recorded. Someone said earlier there have been "27 school shootings" this year in the US; and for me a "school shooting" kind of conjures up images of this Uvalde or Sandy Hook types of incidents. Where as that number includes any incident with a firearm on school property; even if it was outside school hours and had no student or staff involvement.
It's an individuals responsibility to vet the information they're being given, but there's a whole lot of very cleverly manipulated numbers being thrown around by a lot of different angles, and they're not necessarily "wrong", but just don't properly represent things. It's easy to see how someone could be misled by information that looks compelling, especially if they approached it with an angle in the first place.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It's more likely they were just misled or just misunderstood than they were maliciously spreading something they knew to be wrong. I gotta admit, I can see how a lot of people fall into the trap, there's no consistency with how these things are reported or recorded. Someone said earlier there have been "27 school shootings" this year in the US; and for me a "school shooting" kind of conjures up images of this Uvalde or Sandy Hook types of incidents. Where as that number includes any incident with a firearm on school property; even if it was outside school hours and had no student or staff involvement.
It's an individuals responsibility to vet the information they're being given, but there's a whole lot of very cleverly manipulated numbers being thrown around by a lot of different angles, and they're not necessarily "wrong", but just don't properly represent things. It's easy to see how someone could be misled by information that looks compelling, especially if they approached it with an angle in the first place.
That may be true, but there are also a lot of people knowingly spreading disinformation around these issues. There are many organisations that track them and publish on them. Here is one such organisation: https://securingdemocracy.gmfus.org/hamilton-dashboard/

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It is interesting that quite a few years ago I had the 'you guys have more mass shootings per capita than us despite draconian gun laws'. I thought it was some sort of joke but no they believed it and wouldn't hear anything else. Weird really. Guess these days any different information would be seen as our government hiding the shootings. Dumb can actually get dumber.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I'd like to find some evidence into mass shootings in Australia. There are claims that there has been more mass shootings after Port Arthur than from before.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I'd like to find some evidence into mass shootings in Australia. There are claims that there has been more mass shootings after Port Arthur than from before.
Wikipedia

Notable mass shootings in Australia include the 1987 Hoddle Street massacre in Hoddle Street, Clifton Hill, Melbourne; and the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Port Arthur, Tasmania. There were 13 mass shootings with five or more deaths between 1979 and 1996, and three mass shootings involving four or more deaths have occurred since the introduction of new gun laws following the Port Arthur incident.[42][43]

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Some light introductory reading...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shooting

I'm not sure how the organised crime gang war shootings (underbelly type events) may be recorded or if they ever involved enough victims in any incident to be considered.

Ha! So quick on the draw there @bear the bear