Camping Fridge

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
For you campers out there. I'm looking at a 40L fridge and my budget is up to $450. So I'm looking at the likes of an Oztrail from Anaconda or a Kolner from Harvey Norman. Anyone running a similar one that they can vouch for?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Jaycar has a "Brass Monkey" brand fridge for that money. I've seen a couple of people post that they're happy with them. I have no personal experience.

DMan

Jaycar has a "Brass Monkey" brand fridge for that money. I've seen a couple of people post that they're happy with them. I have no personal experience.
Yep, another to consider. Mixed bag reviews though, hence I've thrown out there for recommendations. At least with the Oztrail I can find out what brand the compressor is....

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

We christened our 60 litre in the Otways the other weekend. Happy wih it, cooled down quick, stayed cool, but it was also plugged into 240v. We left everything in it for the drive home and it was still cold enough for Mrs George to not throw everything out 8 hours later.

DMan

We christened our 60 litre in the Otways the other weekend. Happy wih it, cooled down quick, stayed cool, but it was also plugged into 240v. We left everything in it for the drive home and it was still cold enough for Mrs George to not throw everything out 8 hours later.
Yep, I've got some Kings gear and it's good. I'll check that out.

binner

Hath shat hymself
just be aware , those kings suck a lot of power when compressor is on, check some yt vids on them I have a celco 55ltr that has been sweet for over 2 yrs now ($350) and only just last weekend the temp button has failed. It does have a eco function which i use all the time and i always have it pre chilled before camping. After all my searching and reading it seems like engel is still the pick for longlife and power consumption.
This is charged along with kitchen sink water pump, shower pump, kids freaking tablets charging and phones being charged with a 260watt panel with 406 amps of AGM batts.. seems to hold up, if it a bad day or we are pulling too much , i add another 120 watt panel

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
We camp a lot, and got nearly 4 years out of an Aldis 40L which we got on special.

Luckily, when it died, we were on a trip near the east coast (not up central) and we picked up, also on special, a Waeco/Dometic 40L, which has been great. It has the protective insulating cover, which helps for sure, and is now maybe 10 trips old and seems to be doing the job.

And as binner said, pre chill the fridge before heading off, particularly if you are using a solar/AGM setup. Otherwise, you'll drain half the battery, getting the thing cold.

binner

Hath shat hymself
...ohhh and another hint/tip.. try to get wide not deep fridge, the deep ones are a pain in the ass to get stuff out of, you just dig and dig for shit trying to find stuff....

DMan

...ohhh and another hint/tip.. try to get wide not deep fridge, the deep ones are a pain in the ass to get stuff out of, you just dig and dig for shit trying to find stuff....
All good tips. These are my top runners. Shits me the HV one is only available online so there's a $70 delivery fee

Attachments

DMan

oztrail are pretty good, seen those kolner on ebay....not sure about those, dont have any mates with one or read too much about em....
nother handy tip...i add one of these aswell, cause at nite i cant see shit https://www.anacondastores.com/camp...ixofhnDUqtKiTBh_JItZqcmjDD6kaljgaAjrhEALw_wcB

they work a treat
That's the problem with the Kolner. Very little info. I can't find out if it has inbuilt battery protection which I know the Oztrail does. And an inbuilt LED light ;)
I think I'll look at an Oztrail.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Wow, serious beer...

Another handy tip. If you are running the fridge while travelling, and shoving it in with heap of other stuff around it, make sure you keep the vents clear, so it can draw cool air and vent the heat. We use a 40L ice box as a pantry, and I have a few strategic sized bits of wood that keeps them apart.