Cairns Trails in Paradise

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
We're making progress!

I say 'we', I had a small hand in managing the email and invitations for many of the politicians that were invited.

But heck, how exciting is this? There's definitely scope to build something business wise off the back of it.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We're making progress!

I say 'we', I had a small hand in managing the email and invitations for many of the politicians that were invited.

But heck, how exciting is this? There's definitely scope to build something business wise off the back of it.

My sole Cairns riding experience was on my Diamondback Axis TR - with some awesome Manitou elastomer suspension and cantilever brakes on an off day at the 1996 World Champs! It was wet and very slippery and there were killer spikey plants that I always seemed to grab when my brakes/tyres gave way at a corner! Had a great time!

HamboCairns

My sole Cairns riding experience was on my Diamondback Axis TR - with some awesome Manitou elastomer suspension and cantilever brakes on an off day at the 1996 World Champs! It was wet and very slippery and there were killer spikey plants that I always seemed to grab when my brakes/tyres gave way at a corner! Had a great time!
And those were probably the green trails!

It's a but better now, with most people staying away after a heavy downpour. That said some parts are still spiky and can seriously hurt you -

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Checking out your local trails in that link while sitting here in the lockdown capitol of Aus with it blowing a freakin gale outside and expecting a top temp tomorrow of 8 degrees... Yeah just a little bit jealous.

HamboCairns

Checking out your local trails in that link while sitting here in the lockdown capitol of Aus with it blowing a freakin gale outside and expecting a top temp tomorrow of 8 degrees... Yeah just a little bit jealous.
Well if it's any consolation, it's probably going to rain tomorrow which means no ride for me :(

But yeah, it's nice here!

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glen Jacobs sure knows how to keep his business running.
He has a finger in every major MTB pie in Australia

HamboCairns

Glen Jacobs sure knows how to keep his business running.
He has a finger in every major MTB pie in Australia
It helps he knows what he's doing!

He's also about to embark on 70km trail build in Norway!

"Local company World Trail have been awarded the contract to build Europe’s largest mountain bike trail in Norway valued at around $15 million."

Cheka

Likes Bikes
I really hope this will go ahead. I lived and rode in Cairns for almost 20yrs and was always disappointed things never kicked on after the '96 Worlds. The focus was always on international tourism and other more "glamourous" tourism products.
Hey Hambo, is there any talk of Skyrail in all of this? We have a ready made solution to getting riders up the range and I imagine a business that is in need of value adding.

HamboCairns

I really hope this will go ahead. I lived and rode in Cairns for almost 20yrs and was always disappointed things never kicked on after the '96 Worlds. The focus was always on international tourism and other more "glamourous" tourism products.
Hey Hambo, is there any talk of Skyrail in all of this? We have a ready made solution to getting riders up the range and I imagine a business that is in need of value adding.
Last I heard, Skyrail are on board with bike attachments on the gondolas. I assume they'll have to figure something out with weight distribution, especially with e-bikes, it might have to be a pre-booked arrangement but I'm thinking out loud with that.

All levels of Government are on board with this -

Warren Entsch, LNP Federal member for Leichardt called me and told me he's 100% behind it and will do what he can to make it happen.

Michael Healy, Cairns Electorate and QLD State Assistant Minister for Tourism Industry Development is 100% behind it.

Mica Martin, Cairns Regional Council CEO is 100% behind it.

QLD Gov have approved the drafting of a request for $27,000 to get Glen and his team to run a feasibility study and develop a trail plan for submission. The other exciting bit is on the other side of the mountain "the Paradise Palms resort is expanding and offers up land for a secondary trailhead.".

It won't just be a car park there, they're planning a water park and camping resort (akin to Big4) there too!

indica

Serial flasher
Well, that would be exciting. I rode from Speewah to Glacier Rock and then down to Kamerunga once, have you done that one @HamboCairns ?
Along with Cardwell, Ingham and further south to the Finch Hatton Gorge stuff this will be great!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well, that would be exciting. I rode from Speewah to Glacier Rock and then down to Kamerunga once, have you done that one @HamboCairns ?
Along with Cardwell, Ingham and further south to the Finch Hatton Gorge stuff this will be great!
I am heading that way soon campering. Damn, do I need to put the bike rack back on?