Cairns bike hire.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Got a week near Cairns and have a leave pass for 1 day. Not worth lugging a bike up so was thinking of hiring one if available. I did Google it but seems the hire place are permanently shut?? Any one know of a shop that hires bikes?

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I suspect all the shops that are normally hiring bikes are shut at the moment (i.e. it's Christmas...)
Discovery Cycles, Pump & Pedals are the two I know that normally hire bikes, the latter is closed till 4th Jan, not sure about the former but suspect its the same.
Avanti used to run longer hours, not sure if they hire bikes though.
Haven't seen Smithfield MTB tours around for ages either, they're in permanent hiatus it seems.

Last edited:

treble

Likes Dirt
I’ve hired from Discovery Cycles in Smithfield when had a similar situation. They were great, seem to still be open, when are you going?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I went in May last year, you won't be able to hire a normal bike, none of the shops do them.

Pump n Pedal has Specco ebikes and Discovery Cycles has Orbea ones. I hired the Orbea when I went up there, because the shop is easy riding distance from the trails, and that meant they could come fetch me in the ute when I ate shit and hurt my arm :)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Actually. Maybe I’m a little worried that might be the case. Just a little.
It was fun, still not enough to convince me to lay down upwards of 12k, but better than not riding.

From a business perspective hiring only ebikes makes sense, you have a much wider audience of non-riders who would never hire a normal bike.

treble

Likes Dirt
I went in May last year, you won't be able to hire a normal bike, none of the shops do them.

Pump n Pedal has Specco ebikes and Discovery Cycles has Orbea ones. I hired the Orbea when I went up there, because the shop is easy riding distance from the trails, and that meant they could come fetch me in the ute when I ate shit and hurt my arm :)
That’s a shame, I hired a nice Trek enduro (forget model name) bike a few years ago from discovery cycles. Was much fun on the trails nearby

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I do suspect its partly covid related in terms of getting stock, at the start of 2020 they were still doing bike rentals, and would also credit the rental cost if one bought the bike. Now, who knows; I assume the supply chain is still fucked.