Buying computer parts

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah its a rad retro ano colour ;)

Got the kitchen bench done too.

Good deal on the ano SSD's, only $47 for a 240gb.

Now the bullshit of getting it installed on a 2012 computer with modern shit... FFS been at it 3 hours already.

Though hot waxing chains and getting my bike ready for a 5 day bikepacking trip while shit is loading/failing.

ozzybmx

Fukn chunt !!!!

My original downloaded Windows 10 ISO file was downloaded through a USB 3.0 post, apparently it can miss installation files, reformatted and installed it fresh through a USB 2.0... and away it goes, 3 hours later :mad:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Fukn chunt !!!!

My original downloaded Windows 10 ISO file was downloaded through a USB 3.0 post, apparently it can miss installation files, reformatted and installed it fresh through a USB 2.0... and away it goes, 3 hours later :mad:
Damn.... There is a bit of funkiness between USB 2.0 and 3.0. I have a USB 2.0 wifi dongle, which I've hung onto use only when I have no other option. Doesn't work on a USB 2.0 port but works fine on USB 3.0. Must be more electrons.

ozzybmx

Damn.... There is a bit of funkiness between USB 2.0 and 3.0. I have a USB 2.0 wifi dongle, which I've hung onto use only when I have no other option. Doesn't work on a USB 2.0 port but works fine on USB 3.0. Must be more electrons.
Was driving me insane, changed setting all over the Bios, plugged it into every USB on the computer then read about the USB incompatibility... thought surely not, I'll give it a go :mad:

Anyway, once it took off, not another error the whole way through.

The SSD is working effortlessly now, its flying !!! Next is the network adaptor as the downloading is now the constraint... might leave that till I come back next weekend.

Pretty cheap fix for the Zwifty, wet winter nights sorted !

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Figured this is as good a thread as any... I pretty much always use the laptop connected to a couple of monitors through a docking station so it rarely ever gets opened. Happened to need it on site a few weeks back and noticed that the touch pad wasn't sitting flush. Finally got around to taking the back off it today to find this.

That's bad right... luckily the service contract still has five days left before it expires.

Minlak

custom titis
Figured this is as good a thread as any... I pretty much always use the laptop connected to a couple of monitors through a docking station so it rarely ever gets opened. Happened to need it on site a few weeks back and noticed that the touch pad wasn't sitting flush. Finally got around to taking the back off it today to find this.

View attachment 389838

That's bad right... luckily the service contract still has five days left before it expires.
Put that in sand until you can get it disposed of safely - That can 1) Burn your house down and 2) the gas it goes off can kill you

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Put that in sand until you can get it disposed of safely - That can 1) Burn your house down and 2) the gas it goes off can kill you
Current trend is to throw in in your general waste and let the crusher pierce it :)
Best option is to put it in an old laptop and video yourself accidently piercing it and it goes up in flames - TikTok star for the win
I'm so conflicted right now.

Minlak

custom titis
Update: Dell technical support has pulled the "unfortunately considering system age, battery issue wont be covered under warranty" card, in response I've now played my "under the guarantees provided by Australian Consumer Law" card. Let us see how it goes.
This is a very interesting situation - on one hand you have to consider fit for purpose - on the other hand the battery is a consumable item and many manufacturers clearly state only 6mth warranty on batteries - look at Apple iPhone for example (or even most ebikes) there is no reduced time frame but they only guarantee the battery to be 80% after 500 charge cycles - if it goes past 500 and is 80% or over battery is considered normal - ebikes are often 250 charge cycles.
I would suggest the argument of “if I had known the battery was not expected to last at least the warranty of the machine I would not have bought it” would meet the Consumer Guarantee requirement- however as we know that ends in you taking Dell to court not the ACCC helping you.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
This is a very interesting situation - on one hand you have to consider fit for purpose - on the other hand the battery is a consumable item and many manufacturers clearly state only 6mth warranty on batteries - look at Apple iPhone for example (or even most ebikes) there is no reduced time frame but they only guarantee the battery to be 80% after 500 charge cycles - if it goes past 500 and is 80% or over battery is considered normal - ebikes are often 250 charge cycles.
I would suggest the argument of “if I had known the battery was not expected to last at least the warranty of the machine I would not have bought it” would meet the Consumer Guarantee requirement- however as we know that ends in you taking Dell to court not the ACCC helping you.
There's a reasonable difference between "my battery is going flat too quickly" and "my battery looks like it's about to kersplode"

I reckon they should honour that one. Flat batteries are a consumable, that's fair and reasonable. Batteries that overheat and expand and potentially damage the PC are something that shouldn't happen and should be taken care of by the manufacturer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
There's a reasonable difference between "my battery is going flat too quickly" and "my battery looks like it's about to kersplode"

I reckon they should honour that one. Flat batteries are a consumable, that's fair and reasonable. Batteries that overheat and expand and potentially damage the PC are something that shouldn't happen and should be taken care of by the manufacturer.

Except this actually happens from overcharging - he had the computer connected to a dock on 24 hr power - if you want to get technical he ruined the battery by never taking it off power - if he had been using it as a portable laptop he would have been experiencing poor battery life long before the swelling happened

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Except this actually happens from overcharging - he had the computer connected to a dock on 24 hr power - if you want to get technical he ruined the battery by never taking it off power - if he had been using it as a portable laptop he would have been experiencing poor battery life long before the swelling happened
Every single laptop I've had in the last 5plus years has had a feature to prevent this, where it will only charge to 90% and will discharge itself slightly even when plugged in. Still don't think that's a valid reason to not honour a warranty

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Surely this should be accounted for in the charge protection circuit as @Plankosaurus suggested. A lot of people use laptops as fairly static PCs connected to docks nowadays.

That’s a pretty scary looking battery.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
So many consumer product manufacturers are very willing to sacrifice battery service life to eeek out maximum performance.

Apple as example, are happy to charge their lithium polymer calls to 4.25v, and are happy to discharge all the way down to 2.2v, more then 100% depth of discharge.

The risks have been factored into the products costs for the big guys. I’ve seen many many crapple products fail this way.

Pushing the envelop this hard accelerates Electrolyte decomposition, one of the products is oxygen. Just what you want to add is oxygen. Hence the need for sand to smother should things go bad with your lithium battery.

Lithium cells have revolutionised modern life, but we’ve not really paid attention to the risks. I try to encourage friends and family to charge during the day, not at night, and >100Wh packs should be outside.

ausdb

Being who he is
Update: Dell technical support has pulled the "unfortunately considering system age, battery issue wont be covered under warranty" card, in response I've now played my "under the guarantees provided by Australian Consumer Law" card. Let us see how it goes.
Keep pushing hard with that ACL card and don't accept no if it is the first answer.