Buying computer parts

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I buy a new network adaptor, either TP Link or this one with Bluetooth built in, currently running a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle.

Looks like they have some small SSD's in stock too.

Also negotiating a 1gb graphics card off fakebook marketplace.

Hopefully the combo of all 3 stops the freezing and loads shit up quicker.

Thanks for your help all :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah they are great.

Working 12's all week until Friday, will go then and grab a $50 buck 120g Kingston SSD.
I put a Samsung EVO 2TB in Mrs computer a while ago. The Samsung Data Migration software cloned it without issue. Almost too easy.

While I had the sense of adventure and courage, I got a 1TB SSD from AliExpress to replace the HDD in my old HP Z600. As much as I was sure it would be a bad idea it hasn't given any weird surprises yet. One of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32711891166.html Cloned it with Aomei with no fuss and has worked fine so far.

ozzybmx

What are you looking for here sir? I might have something in the parts bin.
An older graphics card compatible with my MoBo PCIe x16 slot.

Probably don't need it but there are a few cheapies around if I can be bothered dealing with people.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
An older graphics card compatible with my MoBo PCIe x16 slot.

Probably don't need it but there are a few cheapies around if I can be bothered dealing with people.
Ah, I see. I guess you have this problem now even your mobo integrated Radeon isn't specifically mentioned and isn't an Intel HD-something-something. https://zwiftinsider.com/intel-hd-deprecation/ I will have a lookie. I have an older Quadro somewhere but not sure if it is good enough.

For the price of GPU's these days, it might be cheaper to purchase a Ti wunderbike and fly several times a year to France to ride it :oops:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Ah, I see. I guess you have this problem now even your mobo integrated Radeon isn't specifically mentioned and isn't an Intel HD-something-something. https://zwiftinsider.com/intel-hd-deprecation/ I will have a lookie. I have an older Quadro somewhere but not sure if it is good enough.

For the price of GPU's these days, it might be cheaper to purchase a Ti wunderbike and fly several times a year to France to ride it :oops:
Those integrated amd Apu setups are surprisingly good, I was running my old favorite dirt2 at 1080p on an a8(?) Setup a few years back with zero issues.

I'd definitely check what the integrated graphics is exactly before adding a card that might not be of much benefit

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Those integrated amd Apu setups are surprisingly good, I was running my old favorite dirt2 at 1080p on an a8(?) Setup a few years back with zero issues.

I'd definitely check what the integrated graphics is exactly before adding a card that might not be of much benefit
Have to agree. I have a UHD620 on my humble work laptop and it is good enough for almost anything except games in higher detail. Would be much easier if you could stick to the integrated GPU.

Looks like Zwift are giving it a push because they are awesome and all that ' These are the computers many people have around the house that work just fine for web browsing and word processing, but really have no business running a 3D, real-time video game.'

I'd gamble that @ozzybmx 's humble integrated radeon is fine for now else you would have already been getting some sort of Zwift nag message like this one https://forums.zwift.com/t/my-zwift-say-you-need-update-your-hardware/578826

The task manager CPU usage, which I assume must include the integrated GPU, hasn't flatlined either.

Maybe just swap in the SSD first and see how it goes?

ozzybmx

Nice one ! I haven't had much time to read up this week, ~14 hr work days with a lot going on.

The onboard graphics is likely ok (spec below), looks plenty for what I need. Thanks for pointing that out.

Was just going to buy one as there are cheap similar era 1gb cards... will probably make no difference running only the Zwift program.

I reckon the SSD will 95% fix the issue, then a dual band network adaptor will let me use 5ghz... which I keep for myself ;)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Nice one ! I haven't had much time to read up this week, ~14 hr work days with a lot going on.

The onboard graphics is likely ok (spec below), looks plenty for what I need. Thanks for pointing that out.

Was just going to buy one as there are cheap similar era 1gb cards... will probably make no difference running only the Zwift program.

I reckon the SSD will 95% fix the issue, then a dual band network adaptor will let me use 5ghz... which I keep for myself ;)

View attachment 389355
I tested the Quadro into PC and it doesn't do much of anything. The magic smoke must have escaped :(

ozzybmx

I tested the Quadro into PC and it doesn't do much of anything. The magic smoke must have escaped :(
Just firing up Zwift now and the HDD is at 100%, its definitely the main culprit ! Takes about 7-8 minutes from pressing the power button till Zwift is running :rolleyes:

In comparison to this computer that I built last year to render 5.3k footage from my GoPro, from pressing the power button, I'm browsing rotorburn 15 seconds later.

I reckon now that I have stopped the auto defrag, it will sort the freezing but now that I'm on the case I will give the old girl a cheap birthday.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I reckon now that I have stopped the auto defrag, it will sort the freezing but now that I'm on the case I will give the old girl a cheap birthday.
Good one. New SSD and you should be off and running a lot quicker.

Windows also seems like to check and download updates shortly after you turn it on.

If you don't use that pc very much then you might have a bunch of queued updates on the way that can slow everything down.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Good one. New SSD and you should be off and running a lot quicker.

Windows also seems like to check and download updates shortly after you turn it on.

If you don't use that pc very much then you might have a bunch of queued updates on the way that can slow everything down.
Yep.

I’m sure the dev team have “me me me” blasting out the office PA all day every day.

Producing software that’s able to gracefully patch, as a background task, allowing other services to run?

Fuck no.

“SCOTTY FULL POWER. FUCK EVERYTHING and EVERYONE”

I’ve a lovely Dell workstation with a Xeon processor and more Ram then I could ever use. Only use it once every 3-4 weeks. Within a min of booting, it’s got all cores at 100% and useless, and task manager reveals windows updates as gobbling up all my cpu cycles.

Really should hackintosh it and VM windows.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I’ve a lovely Dell workstation with a Xeon processor and more Ram then I could ever use. Only use it once every 3-4 weeks. Within a min of booting, it’s got all cores at 100% and useless, and task manager reveals windows updates as gobbling up all my cpu cycles.
I see the same. I have an older but still capable HP Z600 with a tonne of RAM and dual CPUs etc. It only gets used occasionally.

You can bet that the first 5-10 minutes are a download and update fest. I just let it go to do its thing and come back later. The SSD has made that process a bit quicker which is a plus but it is still doing it first up.