Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It was on our news last night, apparently a rolling 500 AusPost staff are isolating for 2 weeks. They are snowed under.

Even express is shithouse, it took 4 days for an express BikeBug from a few weeks back to reach me.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Just placed an order with Bikeinn and they now offer Aus post shipping. Of cause I went that way as it’s the cheapest option, bet it’s also the slowest.
When did this change happen? It’s always been DHL

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just placed an order with Bikeinn and they now offer Aus post shipping. Of cause I went that way as it’s the cheapest option, bet it’s also the slowest.
When did this change happen? It’s always been DHL
I ordered two weeks ago and it only shipped last night, FFS.

Scotty675

Cable thief
They have a good reputation for being reliably slow. I remember my first order, to good to refuse on a pair of shimano shoes. I was sure I’d done my dough. They eventually turned up but what a long drawn out process.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
FedEx truck at bottom of @ozzybmx driveway. What did you get this time. :p

#notstalking #pickingupkids
I got no pressies, just blamed the missus :D she says not guilty, said she seen it parked in the layby at the bottom of the driveway at 15:30pm when she came home.

Then she says to me after that "how did you know it was there when you were at work" :p

Got spies !

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have received no work mail the last few days and have 2 lost parcels so not inclined to buy anything on line at present .
Aust Post do the Telstra defence and just ignore emails, if you are really lucky , someone whose first language isnt English replies with gibberish.
And Aust Post international is shit go DHL.
Another job for the ombudsman.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Both of my mountain bikes are alloy but if this article is accurate we all will keep riding what we have and stock up on spares when ever we see them.

Vietnam is a lovely country but most of their manufacturing is primitive and I cant imagine how bad their waste disposal systems are ?
Burn it up ,dump it in holes such as bomb craters or in the water as bad or worse than China.
I never thought carbon frames were such a great idea.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Been a month and three days. How much longer before I start asking questions? And how?

The wait begins, might be looking at the same screen on the 17/9 :rolleyes:

Or get lucky like some others here, I have not had a stroke of it lately, my last 4 German orders have been a month.
You seem to be on a hot streak of predicting the future...... wanna share the lotto numbers?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Been a month and three days. How much longer before I start asking questions? And how?

You seem to be on a hot streak of predicting the future...... wanna share the lotto numbers?
I’ve got one that’s been sitting at Frankfurt since 7/8.
The order from bikeinn shipped with Aus post got to Sydney in 6 days, hasn’t moved once it arrived though.
I’ve found all shipping hit and miss at the moment. Even interstate packages are taking 2 weeks min these days

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Never in 20 years of buying stuff have I had a delivery problem .
Aust Post has now lost 2 in a row , so slow I wont buy anything more until its sorted.
It would be easier speaking to the dead than communicating with Aust Post who now use the Telstra model which is ,no one can complain so we dont have any problems.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Driving through industrial estates, it surprising how many previously empty warehouses Auspost has started using. I think tracking/progression through the network is shithouse because parcels aren't necessarily going through the normal channels. If your parcel is in a batch that went for pre-sorting in a random off-site warehouse it possibly drops of the network until someone at that warehouse decides to pick it up and shove it in a truck or van going somewhere (at which point it would get scanned and "exist" again).

Problem being, if someone tests COVID-positive or become Tier-whatever contact of somebody with it - those off-grid sites could shut for several weeks without showing where the packages currently are. The good thing (overall) is it'd only effects one little link of the chain.

Personally I think AusPost are in a catch-22 situation. If they relied only on their traditional network with the current demand they'd be totally snowed under anyway, and if they then got a COVID case in one of them it would be a disaster - you'd have weeks worth of freight backed up and it would take even longer to clear the backlog.